1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Italian White Stallion

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by zenwalker, Jul 4, 2013.

1. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @Enki,

Man you have the art of putting things better way. Guess you write articles for some media. Other wise, thanks for the cheer up. Yep i do agree that i should be doing more runs than just making her sit silent. ATM alot of work going on @home, i am mostly needed here to do stuffs. But ya sooner or later i should be going for a long drives. Too bad, people are busy for a company ;)

Btw, very nice comparison of beauty vs BEAUTY above. ;)

- - - Merged Post - - -

Guys,

Couple of my weekends got ruined by the Paint work at my premises. During the clean up, found a sheet of bubble wrap lying around wasted for months. A small idea popped up. So far, we bought groceries and few kinda delicate items in the car boot. So why not make the boot a bit softer for the items to keep it..

I wanted to cover the area highlighted in one of the pic, but did not wanted to pin or glued it up to the cloth beneath it. Hence left it. Though its not much of a use, but hope it doesn't harm either :)

IMAG0121.jpg
    IMAG0122.jpg IMAG0123.jpg IMAG0124.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Guys,

Was just glancing the user manual for making my skills better. But was confused about this step by step guide on starting engine.

Manual says: gear to neutral, key to MAR position, wait till indicators go off on display, then clutch depress full and then start off.

I am confused when the gear is in neutral position how does clutch full depress helps engine starting technically? I am guessing that gear into neutral will disengages the drive shaft from gears right? :confused:

Pardon me if it sounds dumb.
  3. It is to reduce the load on the starter motor by disengaging lot of mechanical loads.
    2 people like this.
  4. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks sat,

Ok my curiosity is increasing :D

I always thought only this clutch drives and shaft is only thing matters. Other stuffs coming into picture yea. Any idea what are they?
  5. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    other than what sat mentioned, its a good habit and will save you from jumping ahead if by mistake you crank while gear is engaged! we often have to park with gear engaged on inclines!
  6. If you see open gearbox you will understand the moment you crank the car few heavy bearings + shaft is rotating even though being in neutral.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  7. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @Shams,

I always go to neutral no matter whats the inclination is but yes handbreak UP :)

@Sat,
    Hmm...quite interesting. Ill watch some videos on youtube.

Thanks guys. Have a good day.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    well my friend you either read too much or too less. :)
    This clutch depressing and starting is only a foolproof mechanism of ensuring that you dont accidentally start the car in gear and you already know what will happen if you do so.
    So doesn't matter how you start so long as you know what your doing
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    When you are starting the car for the first time in the day start the car in neutral, because the car will be idled for a couple of minutes. As the car will be in 1st gear when parked, you can start the car in 1st gear with clutch engaged and then move on. This has to come of out of habit. Standard disclaimers apply.
    When parked, always keep the gear engaged, first or reverse depending on which side of the incline you are on. I think hand brake is actually required only if it is incline. A lot us have the habit of using all our force to pull the hand brake, which is not really required.
    You might have noticed that in inclines, the car in neutral will still roll if the hand brake is not raised to the max/highest.
  10. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @Sham,
    I was more specifics to the instruction of manual. The first point stats gear to neutral. And then it says clutch pressed. So got confused.

@fiatlover,
    I meant before cranking engine i go to neutral, breaks pressed, engine start, release hand brake and goooo.
    While parking, always gear and handbreak.

@Guys,
    Another doubt.

What is the right time or good time to add cosmetic changes to a new car? I always wished for a Abarth side decals/sticker. But from the technical standpoint (exterior paints, body, etc.) i am wondering should i wait for 6 months or so and then go for it?