1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Italian White Stallion

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by zenwalker, Jul 4, 2013.

1. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Just a while ago, i took my babez for a spin. Before that i opened the bonnet and check the engine bay area closely for any thing. Just a care measure ;).

Few points of concern:

1. Notice a small amount of water stagnant above the engine guard plate, below the belt of engine side. I have to put a stick with cloth attached to 1 end to clean up the water/suck it up. Should i be worried/concerned to clean it up and check regularly, i am doubting if it would cause a corrosion on the guard plate.

2. When on the spin, i was driving in 20 speed, and i could hear tak tak tak from the front right tyre. I stopped and checked the tyre belt, walls inside and outside for any damages or cuts by hand. Noting i could see/fee;. But i saw a stone stuck in between the grains of the tyre. Just removed it and after that i cud not hear or reproduce the same sound. Not sure if it was that stone or some thing i should be concerned here.

3. Some times though i have pushed the gear level to the extreme right side down for reversing with fully depressed clutch, the gear doesnt fall properly nor when cluth is slowly released there is a grrrrr sound from the gear box, so i depress cluth again and then move the gear level to same position. It works. Some thing wrong here??

2. SOOZ_P

SOOZ_P Regolare

BANGALORE
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Zenwalker,

I am not sure about point 1, however regarding Pt2 -- Yes, it does happen sometimes when something stuck in tyre. I felt many times this sound when hit the urban roads.
    Pt3 -- This is also a common issue with Punto gearbox. Sometimes, the reverse gear not falls properly and that grrr sound comes. When you re-engage it, it works. I have raised this concern with KHT when I felt for the first time. They just did some greasing but after few days it happened again. Gone through few threads and it seems it's not a unknown issue.
  3. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    @Zen maybe that water is from the AC drain pipe. I don't know if it falls on engine guard or down on the floor.

If you are sure that its water, then chill :)

you should be worried if the oil or coolant is dripping down.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
  4. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Hmm... too bad that its not resolved even by FIAT, for that i wonder if they got such complaints. Wish the dealers put it up accorss to FIAT. I wish FIAT also opens a communication channel with customers for complaints on main components.
    This Grrr... sound worries me about the clutch plate wear n tear and also gear box might get corrupted soon. :(

- - - Merged Post - - -

It looked like its a water (it was clear and transparent, checked with torch), so it has to be def water. Ill check again the same area today evening too. My only concern is that this water should not slowly corrode the metal plate.

Btw from where usually this oil/coolant drips down? Pointers to check in the engine bay area please?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Pt3 : this is common as the reverse gear is on a different mesh than the fwd gears.
    What i do is to depress the clutch and hold it for a few secs then slot it into reverse . This works most of the times.
    Having said that i do agree that its not failsafe.
    When you are having trouble shifting to reverse dont pop the clutch rather just bring it back to neutral and try again. That way you can avoid the Grr noise.
    Finally its not a problem to worry so chill
  6. vayfiat

vayfiat Amatore

Bangalore
    I second that. One tip from me: Be calm and not worried when the "grr" noise comes, and always make sure that you are on full clutch (usually people lose their patience and will unknowingly be on half clutch on the second attempt). These were one of the very few issues that kept irritating me till sometime..
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Follow what theblack suggested,then there will be no grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  8. Mohankv

Mohankv Amatore

bangalore
    Another reason for the Grrr noise to come while engaging reverse gear is if the vehicle is not totally standstill, maybe on a slope or something it starts moving whn your engaging reverse... Make sure u at a completely halt before engaging reverse gear!!
  9. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    I am fully on halt then only i do reverse. This i do most of the time to park car in front of house. So I have to be at halt to do tat. Tat moment this stupid grrr....starts off some times.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Follow what theblack suggested,then there will be no grrrrrrrrrrrrrr