1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Hatchback for LIFE - The Red Hot Italian Punto Evo 90HP.

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by Dinesh Kumar, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Dinesh Kumar

Dinesh Kumar Novizio

Coimbatore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Its been a long time since I last updated the thread. My home internet problem is to be partly blamed other than the busy Punto life :)
    Two weeks ago I got a call from the Fiat Quality Assurance team from Pune and he wanted me to meet in person to get the feedback. I was a little skeptical since I've never heard anyone visiting from factory all the way to Bangalore. Anyways he did meet me and asked about my concerns and suggestions. Though I pointed out more concerns like seating position, internal space etc he only noted down points on Radio quality, third gear jerk problem, Audio source getting automatically changed.

The dicussion was good and he also gifted me a 8gb Sony USB at the end. He went on to say more about the forthcoming Punto Abarth but not more technical. Overall I'd say that its a good gesture from Fiat to listen to customers.
    linea4me and Turbothinghy like this.
  2. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Please get the ECU update done on your 90 HP, post which there wont be any jerk in 3rd gear and the car would breathe better in city as well. I got it done 2 months back and have never encountered that jerk again.

Did he also provide you the driving tips brochure?
    Dinesh Kumar likes this.
  3. Dinesh Kumar

Dinesh Kumar Novizio

Coimbatore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks @Turbothinghy. I was about the type the second post on it :) Yes, I did receive the driving tips info sheet.

My red beauty has run 4600 KMs approx and took it for service center( KHT whitefield) last weekend. Since it was Sunday and unexpectedly open, it wasn't as busy as I'd anticipated. I mentioned the three niggles - Left wheel link rod noise, 3rd gear jerking and Left side steering wheel pulling. They mentioned about the software update and though I was skeptical since my colleague is facing the issue more after the update, I asked them to proceed with it. After service, I was informed that they had to do some body alignment adjustment for left wheel pulling and I was hearing it for the first time. Nevertheless I took the car for a test drive with the technician and the Car is very different after it. It's more smoother, more powerful from initial speeds especially 3rd gear can pull from almost any speed and is responsive enough. The steering is more smoother now and lastly, the jerk issue is GONE !!!

Total bill was around 1700 rs and happily rated their services. After which I took the car to Majestic and felt how powerful the engine is at even lower speeds. I may be wrong but even the gear shifts are very smooth. Now finding reasons to drive more :)
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  4. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Yor arent wrong bro. That ECU update has actually made our 90 HPs more agile in the city conditions (read lower RPMs), though I never had problems with the gear shift. Enjoy the drive :D
    Dinesh Kumar likes this.
  5. Dinesh Kumar

Dinesh Kumar Novizio

Coimbatore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Its more like a rocket now. Now it's more apt to the '90HP Sports' tag.
  6. rider16

rider16 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    congrats Mr.Dinesh, hot looking hatch you have there.

The Ecu update is only the new punto evo 90HPs right? can you find out and let us know if its being done for older 90hp cars too? The Ser. Tech, here in hyderabad says there is no such update even for the evo 90hp cars.
  7. Dinesh Kumar

Dinesh Kumar Novizio

Coimbatore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Sorry for the delayed response @rider16 . I haven't checked it till now. Will confirm it once I visit the service center.

Just today came back from a four day marathon trip from Bangalore -> Trichy -> Thekkady -> Kodaikanal -> Coimbatore -> Bangalore.
    Since it was pooja holidays, we planned for a short vacation to Kodaikanal and later included Thekkady as well. With four people onboard and AC turned on, I managed some quick bursts of upto 155 kmph leaving behind my uncles Etios at 130 kmph. It was absolute bliss driving it on a highway and the only grouse I had was the awkward seating position and the rear knee space behind my seat :)

I usually don't turn on Full Auto for AC because of outside odor, but this time I turned it on throughout the trip and noticed that even at 22 C, its not that chill even after driving for 1 hour during the night times also( blower isn't facing me). In fact persons at rear complained of mild sweating. I have to set it to 19 or 18 to have a good chillness. Could you people share your experience on full Auto AC? Thanks.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2015
  8. rider16

rider16 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi,

I found out form the fiat A.S.S. that map update is only for the punto evo not the older models.

And to tell you frankly, I have never used the A/C in full auto mode, I always preferred setting the temperature myself based on the ambient temperature outside. Well I will try that mode and let you know.
    Dinesh Kumar likes this.
  9. i_mysterious1

i_mysterious1 Novizio

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi Guys!
    A fellow 90HP torquey here. Had been loving my drive over the past two months. Did get a limited long drive so far. Odo's clocked 1500km. FE is at 11.5kmpl so far. Mostly driven in city with AC. My doubt is whether FE needs any special effort. Am a sedate driver,try keeping the engine revs low till 5000km. Trying for a highway jump soon,but may need to wait longer.
    Co 90HP owners please give your experiences.
    Dinesh Kumar likes this.
  10. linea4me

linea4me Amatore

kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Use the recirculation button once the cabin is cool, reduces the load on ac.