1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Hatchback for LIFE - The Red Hot Italian Punto Evo 90HP.

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by Dinesh Kumar, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Dinesh Kumar

Dinesh Kumar Novizio

Coimbatore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Hello Everyone,

This is my first ever ownership thread in any forum and kindly bear with me for any mistakes in it. I neither good in writing nor in technical's, but will try my level best to bring up the ownership review of my exotica red Punto Evo 90 HP. My heartfelt thanks to TFI staff member @nkrishnap for helping me in the buying process and guiding me at every stage. Also a special thanks to KHT motors and Aadya motors for the test drive and entire car purchase experience.

Boon in Disguise:

I am a Fiat lover ever since I took my first test drive 6 years ago and all the ownership reviews across the world only made my inclination towards Fiat more stronger. All these years I influenced my colleagues and friends to buy Fiats but I couldn't buy one of my own. Instead I brought Alto and exchanged it for a Chevrolet Beat diesel in 2013. That time I was clear that either I would go for a top end Fiat car or else settle for a very base model diesel car since I would be driving to my home town Coimbatore from Bangalore. But the sweet mistake I did was buying it in Tamil Nadu and driving it in Bangalore. I traveled abroad in 2014 and returned back in 2015 March to find that a new rule has been introduced in Karnataka that Life Time Tax for has to be paid for other state vehicles. Since my Beat was just 2 years old, the LTT calculated would certainly be too high and I wasn't interested in paying for a car which doesn't have abs and airbags. After all the exhaustive search for cars online for 3 months, I finally convinced my home minster to buy a new car :happy: . Though I overwhelmingly oppose the new Karnataka LTT rule, in one way it helped me in owning a Fiat.

Test Drive and Buying Decision:
    I took my wife to the nearby Whitefield KHT showroom on Sunday evening and it was almost their closing time. It wasn't busy and one SE attended us instantly. We took the test drive of a magnesium grey Linea and was completely bowled over by its looks. Below are my observations.

Linea Observations
    • Looks very Elegant with oodles of chrome. Definitely a class higher.
    • Very spacious and wider front seats.
    • Premium leather and the new interiors at night felt more premium.
    • Ride quality can't be described and one to experience it. Dismisses bad roads like nothing.
    • Very stable and connected steering wheel.
    • Rear legroom is less and headroom is even more less especially for tall persons.
    • Long turning radius especially for a city like Bangalore.
    • The initial pickup speed is less and it takes its own sweet time.
    • Built like a tank and inspires confidence in safely & handling.
    Next we took the test drive of Punto Evo 75 HP.

Punto Evo 75 HP Observations
    • Looks very stunning. The LED lights at night is a delight to look at.
    • Steering feedback and build quality is almost similar to Linea.
    • Seats are a bit narrower than Linea and under-thigh support isn't great.
    • Ride quality is good compared to my Beat but bouncy when compared to Linea's planted ride.
    • Seats are very spongy the white dashboard is more classy than sportier.
    • The alloys certainly needs a special mention as they are stunning hot.
    • The rear headroom is more than Linea.
    • Suspension is a little stiffer than Linea and pot holes are felt.
    • Engine is responsive but grunty and was feeling unrefined( probably test drive car)
    We came back home and was confused between Linea and Punto. In between I had a chance to test drive Avventura and liked its high ground clearance, SUV like driving feel, side plastic cladding and composed ride. Now I was super confused and spoilt for good. :p Being a TFI member is always advantageous and I sought help from @nkrishnap . He called me instantly and I explained to him my current situation and got a few suggestions. Later, I got in touch with Aadya motors who called me instantly and gave me quotations for all cars available. Fiat Punto Evo 75 HP & 90 HP, Linea Dynamic & Emotion, Avventura orange. Though all the deals were tempting white Linea Dynamic made more sensible since its got Airbags & ABS, few things that hold me back was its high turning radius & price out of reach slightly. But the most important things were the new Linea replacement launch in Turkey and the 1.5L engine in the making. What if any of them is launched within the next 5 years :nailbiting: ? You may never know Fiat ;)

I took the test drive of Punto Evo 90 HP which I always thought about it but never dared to test drive as I feared I'll buy it :D

Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP Observations
    • Very smooth Engine. Free revving. Not gruntier but punchier engine note.
    • Responsive and felt it fast to drive. Felt the speed range was more for each gear.
    • Lovely sports black interiors, but at the same time felt very less roomy.
    • Under-thigh support is less but the seats were firm and very supportive.
    • Apollo Alnac 4G 16" tyres does make a difference.
    • Very less rear legroom especially for my seat setting.
    • A little more body roll than Linea but definitely way better than any swift or my Beat.
    I'd always wished to buy a red Fiat car if they are the makers of Ferrari but the thought of maintenance and the attention it would grab especially in my hometown Coimbatore where every other car is a white or silver made my shy away. But as destiny would be, Mr Deepak offered me a best quote for an April manufactured red Punto kept as a display model ( with H symbol) and 2014 Nov manufactured Avventura. Both the deals were tempting and started a poll in TFI for the same. Though the poll results came in favor of Avventura, I was informed by a SE that EVO 90 HP has more GC (195 mm or more) but is not advertised so for favor of Avventura. I thought if it could be because of 16" tyres over 15" tyres of 75 HP but not sure of it. With all the confusions running in my mind, I was discussing it every time at my office with my colleagues. But unknowingly my discussions were kindling their car interests and though both had Maruti cars, they kinda started liking Punto 90 HP and wanted to buy one:joyful:. Since they were exchanging their existing cars, Aadya motors and KHT motors offered best quotes and finally ended up in having one customer each. The interesting part was both of my colleagues got their booking confirmed while I was yet to partly because of Linea Punto Avvy confusion and mainly because of financials.

Finally I made a decision to buy Punto Evo 90 HP since I may buy a sedan or a SUV down the line but I'd definitely need a hatchback for life. I worked out on the financials and did the booking of my Exotica Red Punto 90 HP in Aadya motors which was witnessing the entire booking process:cigar:. During all this time I was constantly in touch with Mr Deepak and he's very patient enough to answer all my queries. Finally the D-Day arrived and the car was delivered on time after customary formalities. Took the car after a small briefing but due to few detours in Hebbal bridge and next few bridges in airport road, I took a longer but less traffic road to Whitefield. Got a chance to test the cars features and the suspension until we found a temple en route and did the pooja done for the almighty's blessings. Here are few random shots taken in mobile pics and kindly forgive me for the picture quality.

Fiat_Showroom.jpg

Fiat_Showroom1.jpg

Fiat-Steering-Logo.jpg

IMG_7532.JPG

IMG_7533.JPG

IMG_7535.JPG

IMG_7570.JPG

Have been driving for few weeks around and my initial observations so far are...
    • Is a head turner and instantly grabs attention.
    • Engine is more smoother and is very responsive.
    • Can handle easily 120 kmph and is rock solid even then.
    • At slow speeds sharp bumps could be felt through
    • Finding the right seating position is a royal pain. I'm 5.10" with longer legs and I'm yet to find my sitting position.
    • The sound quality is very good when played through aux connection. But if played the same through Iphone, Ipods or USB, the quality and loudness is less though it can be controlled from steering. Radio sound quality is pathetic.
    • Not much bottle holders or storage spots.
    • AC isn't that effective probably due to the rear AC vent too.
    • The AC settings and audio source systems get defaulted every time I turn off & On the car.
    • I'm not sure if there's a way to unlock the doors while the engine is on and running.
    • The headlights are powerful as of now and the vehicles in opposite turn on their high beams even while I'm in low beam.
    • All the gears are pretty easily to slot except for Fifth gear. Could be that I'm not using it more often.
    • Clutch travel is light but sometimes could feel the steering rack brushing against my feet.
    • The alloy wheels though not initially attractive like 75 bhp but have started liking it more when looking from side. The huge alloys along with the spoiler sometimes gives me a resemblance of Land Rover Evoque:D.
    I took the car the following week to fit car rear camera ( without sensors) and car door visors. I'm having mixed feelings for the visors but will keep it for a while as its useful in rainy days. And regarding the H symbol, after some close to 200 kms suddenly the odometer km reading started blinking and wouldn't change from 7 kms. The next day morning I started the car and the blinking is gone but the odo reading started showing again from 7 kms. But it was not in my colleagues car. Anyways I didn't pay much attention to it.

Initial Niggles:
    • I filled diesel from an unknown bunk near Hebbal and after driving for few km's I could feel the engine noise very coarse and not pulling much especially in lower gears. I also felt misfiring in second and third gear. I took the car to service center and they informed me that it could be because of adulterated fuel and asked me to empty it soon. Though engine sound is fine now, I could still feel sudden drop of power or like a misfiring (not sure as how to describe it here) for a second in third gear at around 1800 rpm. It does happen sometimes in second or fourth gear but is very prominent in third gear. Could anyone shed some light on it?
    • Off late I've been noticing 'thadak ..thadak' sound in the front left tyre while taking right turns even at very slow speed especially in the slope. My friends mentioned that it could be because of link rod loosened up or cam shaft issue. I'm not sure about it but will have to check in the service center.
    Other than this, every time I see the mini Maserati face with FIAT logo on the top, I can't stop admiring standing still and the grin on my face. I brought it despite knowing that it doesn't have a good resale value or the brand's service reputation in India. It's more of an emotional feeling that only a true Fiat lover could understand about owning a Fiat. I'm a very proud and satisfied owner of my beloved Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - The hatchback car for LIFE .
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2015
    Raaz, rider16, sandipan_r15 and 19 others like this.
  2. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Dinesh Kumar likes this.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @Dinesh Kumar

Heartiest congratulations on the red rocket. A nice buy to have in your garage. Can you post some pics of mods you have done post the delivery. Need a few pics of the interior as well. Whats was the OTR cost and which Insurance did you opt for??

Happy mile crunching and drive safely.
    Dinesh Kumar likes this.
  4. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Congrats Dinesh on getting the Red Hot Punto Evo home. Enjoy many more happy miles with the car.

Time for you to do a photo session and put up pics on the thread :)
    Dinesh Kumar likes this.
  5. driveit

driveit Amatore

chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Congrats.... You will definitely fall in love with this little monster.
    Dinesh Kumar likes this.
  6. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Congratulations for the 90HP Punto EVO. Red looks very hot on Punto.

Yes it is rock solid on 160kmph as well...I drive remapped Grande Punto 90HP with 171mm ground clearance and yes it hoot to drive.
    Dinesh Kumar likes this.
  7. Dinesh Kumar

Dinesh Kumar Novizio

Coimbatore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I'm trying the multiline quote for the first time. Hope I get it right :)

Thanks @pabhishek and yes indeed, Fiats are always stunner.

Thank you very much @ghodlur . The OTR was 8.6L in Bangalore. And I opted for B2B Insurance - Option 2 from Future Generali with engine protection and everything. Sure will definitely post interior and more exterior shots once I get free time, but life became busy after buying a FIAT :d

Thanks a lot @nkrishnap . Will plan for a proper photo session :)

Thanks @driveit . I am just loviiinnnnnnnnng it :d

Thanks @kedarbendre . Yes the car grabs attention wherever its parked. Suggest Red and Yellow color for cars should be patented to Fiats in India atleast as nobody does it perfectly than Fiat.

I dream how my Punto evo would be if the suspension is changed to pre-2012 setup with anti roll bar. Have got plans in my mind after 4 to 5 years. :)
    bharath likes this.
  8. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I am seriously contemplating on getting the pre-2012 GC on my Evo 90 HP for better ride (at lower speeds) and better handling (around corners). Not that the present GC is bad at that, but pre-2012 GC supposedly had the best combo of ride+handling. The only con would be, to lower the speed when crossing a speed breaker.
  9. Dinesh Kumar

Dinesh Kumar Novizio

Coimbatore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    You are right but for a city like Bangalore where its full of Himalayan speed breakers and potholes, I'd stay safe with the current setup and not void the warranty.
  10. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Gadag
    Congratulations Dinesh bhai on getting Stunningly Red Hot 90 hp, Nice pics
    And yes they are grab attention because Fiat cars are exclusive on our roads, we feel like blessed to see people looking at us jealously, Lol jokes apart
    Dinesh Kumar likes this.