1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Grey Linea 1.3 MJD

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by PradeepM, Feb 22, 2015.

1. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    General Update

The car is doing fine and keeping me happy. Off late there is an intermittent small squeak from the front passenger seat, this happens occasionally when empty or occupied. Iam yet to isolate the noise to a point, post which I need to see how to get this addressed. I have searched the forum and this seems to be a known issue, however there was not proper fix updated by anyone.
    Apart from this no other issues to report.

FE Update

The car continues to impress me on the FE front, and below is the updated latest chart.

$4DBA654268BAF0AD.jpg

Wax Session

Its been a few months that the car received a full wax and swirl removal session. With the rainy season about to start, it was time for the work to be done. I have used Collinite 845 this time and pretty happy with the results.

IMG_20160522_112516.jpg

Just before starting to work on a regular day.

IMG_20160523_075322.jpg

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
  2. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @PradeepM : Bro, do you use any machine for waxing or do it manually? And how do you take care of swirl marks

Just saw that you do use one. Can you share the link from where you got the wax machine?
    KPR likes this.
  3. PradeepM

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    @Turbothinghy, I picked this machine from Metro in Hyderabad, but I realized later that there are much better ones after I purchased this. I would advice you to check the regular e commerce sites as they do have some options (again boils down to what we want to spend).
    Regarding the swirls, I use polish (currently using 3M), but will soon be moving to Menzerna SF2000 or something better (will check with the experts on the related thread, before I switch) as the effort spent vs finish achieved is not very good with 3M. Iam usually very careful not to induce any heavy swirls on the car, and what ever minimal swirls are formed (which are unavoidable) is taken care periodically without leaving them on for too long.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  4. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    You have many products which are way better than 3M when you compare it for cost to results.

I prefer to use the below ones

Compounding
    1. Meguairs Diamond Cut
    2. Meguairs Ultra Cut
    3. OPT Hyper Compound
    4. Menzerna Heavy Cut 100
    5. Meguairs Ultimate Compound

Polish and Glazes
    1. Meguiars Ultimate Polish
    2. OPT Hyper Polish
    3. Meguairs Mirror Glaze
    4. Carpro Reflect
    5. Carpro Essence
    6. Menzerna FF3000

Sample of what the OPT products are capable of, that is if used correctly :).

Bossa Nova White Color Linea

Gloss.jpg

On the polishing machines there are so many options, you can use the Rotary or a dual action polisher machine. Depends on your budget.

PS: There is no order of preference, just the list.
  5. Saji Babu

Saji Babu Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    @PradeepM , The car looks stunning after the waxing. Tempts me to try it at home when I get a chance.
    It would be great if you can briefly mention the steps involved from a layman's perspective. Do we need a machine? can it be done with just hand application?

Great going with the car!
  6. PradeepM

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    @Saji Babu, waxing can be done with the hand as well, its not necessary to buy a machine (it does reduce your effort and gives some consistency though). I will try to put up a small writeup on the steps, however we have a master in this job who posted above :happy:.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
    GANESH H and Saji Babu like this.
  7. PradeepM

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Updating the ownership thread

FE Update

The car is running fine and has crossed 22,000 KM around 30 June. I was also able to isolate the source of the squeak and the culprit turned out to be the headrest and not the front passenger seat as suspected in my earlier post. More on this in my next post.

FE1.jpg

FE2.jpg

Updated Chart

$8E6C416B263AAE9.jpg

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
    Turbothinghy, prabhjot and KPR like this.
  8. PradeepM

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    June 20 2016 - Monsoon Service camp.

The seasonal free camp was organized by FIAT between June 20 - June 25, with some good discounts on some value added services.
    I pre-booked the slot with AV Motors for Monday June 20 and I was at the service center by 9:15 AM. The Job card was prepared, apart from the free 30 point checkup and full wash I had the following issues reported.

1) Arm rest Squeak.
    2) Erratic horn (happens only during rains).

As there was a decent 20% discount on some value added services, I have opted for a full interior & upholstery cleaning. Since my car has stock fabric interiors and the climate was cloudy, we have agreed that I will pick the car the next day so that we give the interiors sufficient drying time.

Issue with the horn

The dual horn (after a good rain), changes its tone to mono and gives the feeble "meek meek" sound. The horn resumes to normal working after a few hours of parking, so Iam not very sure what the issue here is. I have reported the same and the SA said that they will tune the horn and check if anything else is wrong. The General Manager for Service from AV was along side the SA when the job card was being prepared and he immediately pitched in to say that in case the tuning and checks do not result in a fix for the issue reported, they will get me a replacement of the horn.
    I was fine with the conversation and shook hands with both of them and moved on to the shop floor, to look for my regular mechanic there. Found him, exchanged pleasantries, walked along with him to where the car was parked to ensure that he is assigned the job card, which was done and the car was driven away into the bay by him. I waited for sometime and then left FASC as unlike other days, this time Iam not getting my car in a few hours.

Next day afternoon I got a call from the SA mentioning that the car will be ready by 4 PM. I left a little early from work and was at FASC by 5PM, took a good looks at the interiors and was pretty satisfied with the job done. Went for a test drive with the SA, he mentioned that the hand rest is now tightened and I did not find the squeak. Regarding the horn he mentioned that they have tuned it and it should work fine now.

The bill was Rs 1058/- (for the interior cleaning) after the 20% discount and I was happy with the same.

Horn issue not fixed

We had some good rains in Hyderabad post the camp and the issue with horn resurfaced, so I need to get it replaced / fixed in my next visit.

FasTag 'ed

The car received its FasTag in June and on a trip to Kurnool the tag worked as expected at the toll gate.

fastag.jpg

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
  9. PradeepM

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Minor mishap.

One of the tyres (which was at rear left) developed a side wall crack and luckily this happened about 3 KM from home, pressed the spare tyre into service and drove the car back.

Cut.jpg

I have absolutely no idea how this could have happened, I definitely felt bad as I have been maintaining the tyres well with timely WA & WB so that I can keep them as long as I can (approximately 40K was the target). The odo was close to 23,000 KM when this happened. I was lost and sad. After reaching home called FASC to check if they can help with any warranty claim with Good year. They asked me to come over when ever I am free to check what can be done.
    The next day I was at FASC and they checked the tyre and said that warranty cannot be claimed the crack doesn't seem to be a manufacturing defect and stock tyres do not come with unconditional warranty.
    Some days luck smiles on you and it was one of those days for me, a fellow Linea owner and a very good friend Dr Santosh was at FASC that day and he just got his tyres replaced. He had one tyre which was very sparsely used. He immediately suggested that I can take that in case I prefer. The tyre looked in very good condition and without any apprehension I accepted his offer (the make was Apollo though). FASC was quick enough to swap the tyres and within 15 min car was back on all 4 alloy wheels. The plan now is to use the tyres for another 10-12K and then swap all the 4 to newer ones.

Thank you Dr Santosh for the generous help much appreciated smile.gif .

Tyre being swapped

Tyre Change.jpg

Condition of the Tyre shod now

New Tyre.jpg

Cheers,
    Pradeep
  10. PradeepM

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    On a lazy Saturday (July 23), with nothing much to do we have decided to go on a drive after breakfast. The decision was instantaneous and it was almost 930AM by the time we made up our minds. We first got out of the house and got the car fueled and the destination was decided when we were waiting in the queue to get the air checked.
    Destination : Mallelatheertham
    Distance : Approx 200 km.

S1.jpg

Road 1.jpg

Road2.jpg

It was a little after 10AM by the time we started our short journey, the roads were awesome with 3 small deviations after Dindi due to ongoing construction work related to 2 bridges.

Deviation reservoier.jpg

Entry to the Ghat

Ghat Entry.jpg
    Ghat2.jpg

We reached the the check post around 12:45 PM and had lunch at Chenchulakshmi restuarant (i assume this run by the Govt). The food was decent & the place is clean. They charged Rs 70/- for plate meals.
    After lunch we headed towards the waterfall. The drive through the ghats was amazing. The AC was turned off, the windows were rolled down, we drove at leisure sticking to speeds of 25-30 kmph enjoying the fresh air and calmness around.

car 1 Front.jpg

Forest 1.jpg

Forest2.jpg

There is no proper road for the last 8KM of to the destination, it was a mud trail and I did not dare to drive with windows rolled down on this stretch.

W Road 1.jpg

parking.jpg

There was no water at the falls as we expected, but nevertheless the place was very calm and soothing.

S2.jpg
    S3.jpg
    S4.jpg
    S5.jpg
    LandScape.jpg
    Car rear.jpg
    Ghat 3 Sun.jpg

To be contd.., in next post to accommodate more pics.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.