1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Grey Linea 1.3 MJD

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by PradeepM, Feb 22, 2015.

1. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    PradeepM likes this.
  2. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    FIAT.jpg

Post this trip I realized how true this statement from FIAT is.
    This trip was different, the roads were overall above average to pathetic almost all through the journey unlike the trip's earlier where the roads were very pleasant and more enjoyable, However the machine excelled yet again
    showcasing its capabilities & strengths in handling any kind of tarmac. The Linea was very composed and even managed speeds around 90kmph on bad patches and it ensured that its passengers were comfortable.

Onward Journey - Hyderabad to Shirdi.

Hyd to Shirdi.jpg
    As planned we started early and took the Zaheerabad route and it was pretty bad till Sholapur, the Sholapur to Thimburni road was the only stretch with an excellent toll road on this route. The road conditions took a 180 degree turn from excellent to pathetic between thimburni to vithal Kamath ( where we stopped for lunch) en-route Ahmednagar. Post lunch the road conditions improved from pathetic to above average with some pieces of good roads here and there. We did this stretch amidst heavy rains, the car was very stable on wet roads and it stuck to the line where it was pointed to without being nervous. Ahmednagar Shridi route was very pleasant as well however it took a lot of time for us to negotiate the heavy traffic in Ahmednagar.

A picture of the stretch between Humnabad to Omerga.

Humnabad to Omerga.jpg

We stopped at Surabhi a small restaurant after crossing Omerga for breakfast.

Breakfast Surabhi.jpg

Surabhi Interior.jpg

FE stats at breakfast.

FE Breakfast.jpg

A picture of the stretch between Omerga to Sholapur.

Omerga to Sholapur.jpg

We found this temple on the way and a picture was clicked through the windshield.

Temple.jpg

@ Vithal Kamath for Lunch on the Thimburni - Ahmednagar road. Clean place and good food.

Lunch.jpg

Fuel efficiency at lunch break.

FE at Lunch.jpg

We drove in some heavy rain and the car took a coat of slush & murk.
    Car after heavy Rains.jpg

End of day 1 stats.

Trip End Shirdi.jpg

Return Journey - Shirdi to Hyderabad.

Shirdi to Hyd.jpg

On the return we decided to try the alternate route via Aurangabad, Nizamabad and I should admit that this even though slightly longer was much better than previous route. This route too had some very bad stretches however they were comparatively less in number and in most cases the road conditions were between good & above average. The roads were very good in some stretches example between Nanded - Nizamabad and the final stretch between Dichpalli - Hyderabad was an awesome toll road where the car clocked some high speeds and gobbled with ease some monstrous curves in triple digit speeds.
    A picture of road clicked enroute.

Maharashtra Return.jpg

The car received a good foam wash @ K force the next day and some pictures of the same.
    @ K force madinaguda.

Car Wash.jpg

Before wash.

Dirty Alloy.jpg

Post wash.
    Clean Alloy.jpg

Odo at the end of the trip.
    Trip Reading 15 June.jpg

Overall the 1300+ KM drive was pretty good and my respect for this lovely machine has just gone a notch higher after experiencing the way it can handle any tarmac that you want it to roll on.

Cheers,
    PradeepM.
  3. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Quite a detailed log there @PradeepM .
    Fiats are bound to make the driver happy in highways.
    Great to note that journey ended in a good and safe note.
    PradeepM and prabhjot like this.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thursday night i drove from Pune- Guntur via HYD ORR.
    Started from Pune at 8:30Pm reached Solapur at 1:30am, stopped at tembhurni for dinner,had one and half hour rest at solapur and started at 3:00 am from solapur reached zaheerabad 5:15am,reached Ramoji film city at 7:15am via ORR,final destination at 12:30pm guntur.
    The one which u saw temple kind,its a basavkalyan entry.if you go inside for 2 Kms you will find a 108ft tall statue of Lord Basaveshwara.
    Nice pics with nice mileage.Hope you had good darshan.
    Saji Babu and PradeepM like this.
  5. Saji Babu

Saji Babu Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Enjoyed reading it Pradeep :)
    PradeepM likes this.
  6. novicefreak

novicefreak Novizio

Hyderabad
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hi Pradeep,

Congratulation on yet another successful trip.

Nice pix and crisp summary.
    PradeepM likes this.
  7. PradeepM

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    You are 100% right, Thank You mate.

Thank You Ganges, yes all went well as planned :).

Thank You Saji.

Thank You buddy.

Updated FE chart below after the last refill a couple of weeks back .

FE.jpg

I have been experiencing a heavy left pull after my recent trip to Maharashtra (thanks to the roads), the wheels were misaligned. Upon suggestion from a fellow Linea owner Dr Naresh I took the car to Sai Wheels in Ayyapa Society on the 100ft road. The workshop is not trendy or very clean however I should admit that the owner (Yella Reddy) is a very knowledgeable person and he knows his job well.

Sainath Tech Wheels.jpg

Trial Run 1 : We went for a test drive to check the degree of the issue, On return they diagonally rotated the wheels as the first wheel rotation is advised at 5K and sadly I was not aware of the same. The odo of the car is now at 8K and so the wheel rotation and balancing was properly done,
    3 of the 4 wheels took some weights as well. After the rotation & balancing the car went in for alignment and the necessary adjustments were made.

Balancing in progress

Balancing.jpg

Rotation in progress

Rotation in progress.jpg

Alignment in progress

Allignment.jpg

Trial Run 2 : After the alignment we went for another drive, 95% of the issue was fixed however there was still a minor noticeable pull. We returned to the workshop after 10 min, a few small adjustments were made to the steering, the readings were rechecked and the technician went under the car again and returned after a few minutes.

Trial Run 3 : The issue was now 99% addressed, what we have observed was the car is perfectly fine when we are not accelerating however when we accelerate ( power transmits to the wheels through the drive shaft) there is a very minute pull, one needs to have a very keen eye to notice this. I did not notice this almost negligible pull however the technician took time to show me what is happening and only then I observed this very small variance. We took a good 10 min drive and the technician said that this should possible settle down after 2-3 days of run however if that is not happening he asked me to come over again so that he can recheck.

Adjustments done and ready to roll.

All set.jpg

So I would now check how things go in the next couple of days. Overall I would say that the service I received today is very satisfactory as they took time & spent good effort to get the things right rather than just completing a formality and sending me off. An important point to note is that the workshop has been pretty busy all the time I was there and they were taking similar time for all the customers to ensure that the work is done properly.
    As a testimony to the effort & good work these guys do I have seen at least 7 cars that were being serviced in the 1 hour 20 min I was there today, the 8th car pulled in just when I was about to roll out and it happened to be a Merc Benz C Class.

Merc.jpg

I had to adjust with a manual report with the necessary readings noted as the printer was not working,

Report.jpg

What I liked about this place was they are taking time to give their best effort and also educating the customer on the issue (evident in my case) and not trying to con seal or close an issue with partial work done.

Overall Satisfaction - 9.5/10 ( The 0.5 point was deducted for the printer issue)
    Would I recommend the place - Definitely Yes
    Price : Rs 650 for all the work done.
    Contact person : Mr Yella Reddy ( +91-9000943555)

Cheers,
    pradeep.
  8. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    3 test drive for mere wheel alignment!! Here FASS people doesnt go on test drive even after major sevicing of the vehicle. :)
    Great find there for wheel alignment worries:pompous:
    PradeepM likes this.
  9. PradeepM

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Abhishek,
    That is market standard I guess none of the service centers across any brands care to take a test drive unless the customer insists, so all are in the same boat buddy .

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
    pabhishek likes this.
  10. PradeepM

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Booked at appointment with AV Motors today to get the slight left pull issue addressed which was still persistent even after the alignment done a few weeks back as mentioned above. I promptly reached the service center at 1230 PM the agreed time and the SA - Sandeep attended immediately. The job card was prepared to address 2 issues 1) Left Pull 2) ECU update released by FIAT just a few days back to address the shudder which most of the owners reported in the 3rd gear (personally I did not experience this issue on a regular basis however I did notice it a few times, the reason possibly could be the way I shift the gears at lower rpm's).

Issue: Shudder/Jerk felt in Gear 3.

Approximately 15 min after the job card was prepared, the car was pulled into a bay and they started working on the ECU update. A computer was connected and the ECU was scanned and up came a message on the screen which read "Gear Jerking issue identified". A few more clicks followed and the system updated started which took about 5 more minutes. Post which another message was displayed which read "Programming terminated correctly".

Computer Connected.jpg

Update complete message.jpg

Feedback post the update.

I drove the car for about 40 km post the update and tried to push the car across various rpm's however I did not experience any shudder/jerk which I occasionally saw earlier. May be people who experienced this issue at more frequent intervals can confirm their experience post the update on their machines.

The positive side.

Post the software update I did observe something very interesting, the drive-ability of the car seems to have improved. In simple words the turbo lag seems to have minimized and I did feel that the car was pulling fine in gear 3 where earlier I had to downshift to gear 2 and I observed the same behavior between gear 3 & 4.
    No please do not expect any miracles as its the same 1.3 MJD and the ECU update would not do any wonders to make it sprint friendly or pull like a train at lower rpm's, however Iam sure you would observe a significant change in the drive-ability.

Additional Information.

From my conversation with the GM - Service at AV motors he mentioned that FIAT has issued a circular to have the S/W update done across all the 2014 90HP engines hence all the 2014 Linea's and 90 HP Punto's would receive this ECU update mostly when they come in for service. If somebody wants to get this addressed immediately please call any FASS for a quick appointment and you can get this done in flat 10-15 min, its free of cost & covered under warranty.

Issue: Car pulling towards the left side.

I took a brief test drive with a senior technician and he confirmed that he too observed the pull I was mentioning about. Post the test drive he explained me the various contributing factors for this issue and he checked the previous alignment reports too. He did mention a point which I felt is right where he said that the alignment machines at FASS are properly calibrated as per the guidelines from FIAT which might not the case with the alignment centers outside with a very few exceptions. They removed the wheels checked some settings, then got the wheels back and moved the car into the alinement bay. The computer guided the technician to pull forward or backward and based on the inputs it threw in some readings which were adjusted accordingly. Post which the steering was checked and some minor adjustments were made too.

Wheels.jpg

Allignment.jpg

Feedback post the alignment.

I personally took a long test drive across 4 different roads and the car did stick to straight lines on 3 of them however pulled left on one. For this I was made to recall the briefing I received on factors that can influence a car's path and one of which being the banking of the road. So in this case the road seems to be more inclined towards the left and hence the car rolled more towards the left. As the car behaved as expected on 3 other roads I bought this reason from the technician however somewhere I was apprehensive about it and I should admit that I was not 100% convinced.
    Post the delivery of the car as mentioned above I drove for about 40KM and I tried out on multiple occasions to see how the car behaved and Iam happy to report that the car is now sticking to a straight line. The longest duration I tested it was on the Yousfguda flyover where I got a long empty stretch from the time I went up the flyover till I came down and all my doubts where put to rest when the car behaved absolutely fine.

As a good gesture the car received a complimentary foam wash before it was handled over to me.

Wash.jpg

Overall Iam happy with the way AV Motors attended my car and addressed the issues. On the other side I did feel that the alignment done earlier at SAI wheels as mentioned in my previous posts addressed the left pulling issue to a large extent however not 100%. After the fix at AV motors Iam convinced that the equipment at FASS is definitely better than what we may have in the market may be with some exceptions, for eg: Madhu's @ Bangalore as I know many FIAT owners vouch by their service.
    However I had a had short conversations with a couple of Linea owners and they said that mostly this issue would reoccur after sometime so lets see.
    I would provide more feedback after a few hundred's on the ODO.

At AV.jpg

Invoice Details

Bill.jpg

Cheers,
    pradeep.