1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Grande punto's front suspension bottomed once

Discussion in 'Technical' started by renlouis, Jul 9, 2014.

1. renlouis

renlouis Amatore

Aleppey
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I been driving my Grande Punto a small stretch of 200kms; a mix of highways and potholed roads. While driving over the good tarmac nearly at 70km/hr speed but only a few meters in advance saw a humb unmarked. I had to brake (not hard but causing sudden and fast deceleration), on slamming the brake pedal the car ran over the humb! However while running over it the speed had been reduced to just 10km/hr. But I could feel a mild thud :shocked from below that the front suspension has done its work to maximum and still some more impact left to make some suspension component(s) of to touch/kiss together; something like what I heard suspension bottoming.

However it was not noticed later in my remaining stretch of driving over many humbs and potholes. So I have peace of mind.

Does this behavior really damage suspension components or is it usual in some unavoidable circumstances where the suspension is built to withstand bottoming? ::pP

Should I check for any leaks related to suspension? Are they visible?
    ::pP

Fiatians please share your experiences and anything you have done followed by suspension bottoming. ::pP

Many thanks.
    Louis
  2. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I think your car engine guard has scraped rather than suspension.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yeah, just try to have visual look at the front bottom, or use any garage to lift it and inspect once.
    Most probably nothing would have happend to body, Fiat's underbody protection is pretty strong.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    in such situations whenever you heard scrap thing, bend your back and see under engine hood if any leakage is there.if doubt on suspension open the bonnet and with force press the engine front towards downward and check if suspension is at its best.
    1 person likes this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes, check the guard plate for bumps and if the guard plate is pushing/touching the sump. Even if suspension takes a beating, it can be fixed. If there is problem get the struts, bushings, coils etc. visually inspected and checked. In doubt check that no fluids are leaking first. Can be checked at any FASS on a car lift, also when car is running (in neutral).

Probably nothing to worry about but get it checked nonetheless.
  6. renlouis

renlouis Amatore

Aleppey
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks all you guys ;). Will go home this weekend and check the under body especially engine guard, sump, engine oil leakage, and shocks for leaks. Actually no sound was heard while going over humb but a very slight feel of thud. Hope things are within control .
  7. renlouis

renlouis Amatore

Aleppey
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Reached home and checked underbody of the car. To my luck, I saw no signs of scraping on underbody and on engine guard, no dent or misalignment of engine guard. The oil sump appears okay. No signs of leak under the sump as well as from suspension components.

So I think the feel of thud originated from suspension bottoming. Thanks to the improved ground clearance. So far the car is handling with out any problems.

Thanks all guys once again :)
  8. renlouis

renlouis Amatore

Aleppey
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Friends I am thinking again on this; this happened when I was using stock tornadoes on 14" wheels (now on upgraded tyres and wheels) . I always saw the sidewalls of those tornadoes in front bulges out excessively due to heavy front though they are not underinflated!!!

I doubt the mild thud feel was due to rim pressed itself on to the tyre compressing the sidewall to the maximum possible extend due to heavy weight acting downwards at the occasion of moving over the humb with brakes slammed. Do you think any possibility for this to happen on puny tornadoes? If possible, is that enough to make a tyre burst? :jawdrop:
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    When TFIan J Ravi was doing his long drive from Bangalore to Leh, during one stretch of bad road his Linea engine guard bumped into the ground 50 times. Nothing happened to any component.

Enjoy your ride. All is well. Suspension components are built to take some abuse.

Cheers.
    pv_krish, prabhjot and renlouis like this.
  10. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    I completely agree on this aspect. The suspension ans underbody can take quite a bit of abuse. I rarely slow down on bad stretches and the underbody has scraped so many times. Each time on inspection there are few mild scratches underneath which is nothing to worry abt.

The suspension too takes the abuse. Over a period of time you too will start vouching for it.