1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My grande Punto 90HP - Stunning Italian Beauty "Paula"

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by imranshks, Mar 17, 2013.

1. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Update: Drove by to Hubli with my parents last night as it was an emergency.

Covered 430+ kms in 6 hours roughly with a few breaks in between.

As my car came with Goodyear GT3, there was tremendous road noise but the tyres gripped well.

One strange phenomenon noticed was, at the speed of 110km/hr and above, the steering was wobbling (as if the steering might just come out in my hands).

As per Vecto, they had done wheel alignment and balancing, but somehow I was suspecting that to be the culprit.

Couldn't afford to cruise at 80 km/hr as I wanted to make it on time to hubli. Road was good, bit uneven though, I don't know if that could have caused this issue.

Also, my cousin came down by his i20 and was all praise about the stability, ride etc etc... I was :confused: what hell is wrong with my Paula...

Finally, I found time today and visited a tyre shop (Tyre Land) in Hubli and got the wheel alignment and balancing done again.

Total Bill - Rs. 730 /-

Attaching the readings for reference, hope its sorted now. Shall validate the same on Sunday night once I reach Bangalore.

Hope she gets all fine and comes back to normal, else I will have to fight a battle with FIAT, to get this checked and do the needful.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1368190605251.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1368190631594.jpg
  2. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    It would be the balancing that seems to be the culprit. 160 grams is a quite a bit of weight and the reason for wobbling. Do check if this is sorted out. Else a visit to Madhus Langford road and the Hunter roadforce machine should fix it for you.

A reason why opt to Madhus is I can sigh a relief that the work done will be perfect.
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
  3. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    @nkrishnap let me see if this is fixed. This 160 gms is added now at the shop (Tyre Land) at Hubli.

Inspite of this if its not fixed then I shall definitely drop down to Madhus once am back.

I had to leave at 3PM on Thursday due to one of my relative's demise. Else visiting Madhu's in the noon was on my agenda :(

Hope its fixed now. NH 4 shall decide it on Sunday.

4. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    If the balancing was done correctly, the wobbling should go away. Update us after your return journey.
  5. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    @nkrishnap sure.. I shall post the same on Sunday.

Coz am driving back to Bangalore on Sunday noon.

Cheers :)

6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Yeah balancing is usually the culprit . I had terrible wobbling and i had even got it balanced so i thought my hub rings were out of place and made peace with it and drove like that only on many highway drives .
    But recently i had enough of this and wanted to fix it at once. Took the car to A1 Car care and got the balancing checked and i was :shock: to see that all 4 wheels were majorly out of balance.

Once the balancing was done i took it for a spin on NICE road and even at 140 there was no wobble at all. Thoroughly happy i returned home.

About balancing.
    The idea is to actually approach the value 0 or as close to 0 as you can while balancing. (As told by the repair fellow)
    Just see the readouts in the balancing machine to ascertain that the value gets to 0 (perfect alignment) or 0-4 (near perfect/acceptable).

Also make sure you know which wheel goes where as rotation also plays a big role.
  7. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Gadag
    Yesterday night i met Imran bhai at a engagement party of his friend..had a nice chat about cars..his tyres air pressure(nitrogen) was going..i had tyre inflator so i checked his tyres nitrogen...to my surprise tyre inflator showed needle at 60:eek: but it shud show 33...i was shocked..his tyres were goodyear GT3..i advised him to replace the tyres with Apollo Accelere..he drove our car..wen he was driving he was just praising about 2011 punto's ride quality which is not raised like 2012 punto's and apollo's grippy tyres..reached shivani inn lodge..saw his 90 hp..his bro showed me a demo of how 90 hp's performance is..he gave me to ride..man 90 hp is blast and scarily fast compared to 75 hp..drove 90 hp for the first time and was thrilled..gears were butter smooth compared to our car which r notchy and hard and sometimes get stuck and steering was very light at low speeds which i liked unlike our car's steering which is little heavy at low speeds..needle reaches to 100 digit in a very quick time and engine noise is also less when i pushed throttle hard..was a awesome experience meeting a TFI member and another Fiat for the first time..and driving 90 hp for the first time..now i m a Fiat fan+90 hp fan..yuppie..i made the move by driving 90 hp..enjoyed evry moment with imran and his 90 hp..Thank u imran bhai for making meet possible..forgot to take pics..sorry guys..
    Last edited: May 12, 2013
    2 people like this.
  8. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Got back to Bangalore last night. Even after the balancing and alignment was done at Hubli, the issue is not fixed yet :uh

Anything above 100km/hr scares the hell out of driver and the confidence level drops drastically the moment car behaves like that.

I guess, the job done at Hubli wasn't up to the mark too. Also, 32psi of pressure felt too much due to bouncy ride, hence reduced it to 30psi and drove all the way from Hubli to Bangalore.

I suspect the Goodyear GT3 tyres to be the culprit, thinking of moving on to Apollo Aceleres by claiming warranty. At times it feels like Goodyear GT3 are made up of hard plastics and not rubber, its a total discomfort having them.

Wish me luck in going ahead and talking to the dealership and seeking help from them in getting the tyres replaced under warranty.

This was my first long drive and i must say, the engine is a lovely performer. Brings smile on your face as you are always in the rpm band of 2K - 3K where the turbocharger never sleeps. Mileage was around 20.1 (AcB when i checked the odo last time) even after cruising at triple digit speeds most of the times.

Only the tyres stole all the fun from my drive of over 1200 kms :(
  9. Mohankv

Mohankv Amatore

bangalore
    Even i was thinking of going in for michelin tyres bro.. even though i don have any wobble issue.. i feel the tyres are too hard and ride a bit on the bouncier side..

My dad's fabia had the same issue with the suspension being hard cos the tyres had hardened. But his stock apollos lasted 65000kms..

I got the tyres changed to michelin XM2 for the fabia and man you would believe how smooth the car has become.. It was a Giant leap..

If the fabia had R15 size alloys i would have switched the tyres for sure.. Unfortunately its R14 :p ;)
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
  10. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Hey, yours is a 2013 car. Let's meet up this weekend and probably you can try my car and see the difference.

Apollo Acelere on my Santro are doing a nice job and I see quite a lot of cars these days get Apollo Acelers from the company.

I believe Acelere is any day better than Goodyear GT3, GT3 took away the ride quality and fun throughout my trip :mad: