1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My grande Punto 90HP - Stunning Italian Beauty "Paula"

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by imranshks, Mar 17, 2013.

1. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Update: During last service I was advised to change the brake pads as FIAT recommends replacement of brake pads at 15,000 kms. I somehow resisted the replacement and thought I will drive for few more kms as I never found any issues with the brakings or any sounds from the discs etc.

Since I did not want the rotor discs to be damaged due to worn out brake pads, visited Vecto motors yesterday to change the brake pads.

Attaching a few pics of the worn out brake pads :)

a2anepa4.jpg

y4uze4e4.jpg

te4unuhy.jpg

yga4u4us.jpg

I know, I could easily drive with these for at least 5,000 kms more but the service advisor and technician insisted me to get the brake pads changed before clocking 16-17,000 kms on odometer.

Anyway, its a lesson to me. The total damages Rs. 3683 !!!

Sent from my Lenovo P780_ROW using Tapatalk
  2. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Gadag
    Brakepads will be changed at 30-40 k kms AFAIK.Am i right or wrong experts?
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    what's the lesson Imran :)

From the thickness I can see that your brake pads had atleast 1/3rd of their life left.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    This brake pad business is definitely dicy one. I saw your photos on fb as well. There is life left you can use it as stand by

Sent from my Q1000 using Tapatalk 2
  5. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    Same thing happened to me...there was life left...but it damaged my discs badly and there was a grinding sound always....

SO,changed the disc & pads same time...and everything fine now...going well till 10K...

I am repeatedly told life of OEM brake pads is max 15K...under heavy traffic conditions...

Mine is 3rd pad change and each lasted around 12- 14K only...
  6. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Shams, the lesson is "do not just go by SA and replace the spares". I could have easily used these brake pads for 5k kms at least. :)

7. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    No bro, in the process of removing the brake pads, the SC guys have damaged the pads. Anyway, its gone for good. Next change I shall inspect myself and take a judgment :)

8. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    It may depend on your usage bro. Considering bumper to bumper traffic it might be good to replace the pads at 15k, on contrary people have used the same pads for 30k + kms and are quite happy with the performance :)

9. ViPr

ViPr Amatore

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Fiat says 'Check and replace if required at every 15K interval'.
  10. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Gadag
    Ya right but it depends on drivers driving & braking nature.