1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My grande Punto 90HP - Stunning Italian Beauty "Paula"

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by imranshks, Mar 17, 2013.

1. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    @Nadeem sure, unless they restrict me from taking photographs, I don't mind :)

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
  2. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Hey Imran, Don't install rear mudflaps, just the front ones. I had mudflaps on my GP all around. One day while staring at it's behind, i thought it would look way more beautiful without mudflaps so rear mudflaps are gone now. I left front flaps for the reason you mentioned, moreover hardly affect any aesthetics.

Rear without flaps look beautiful with those meaty tires and suspension arms visible (especially with black anti-rust coating), only attract people to have a closer look, until it gets into some mudslinging with all love lost in no time...

still not your problem by any means:p...
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    imran,
    after seeing nadeem's mud flap,ooops nadeem's punto's mud flap ,i doubt does this solves the purpose ? :D
  4. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    @ENKI totally agree...Punto without mudflaps looks way much better. I am at Aadya motors now, thought of installing the mud flaps but forgot them at home. Maybe that's God's way of saying "Punto looks beautiful without mudflaps". I shall only install the front ones sometime later on a weekend :)

@Ganges in fact, best mudflaps that protect your car from dirt are the truck like mudflaps. But they make the car look ugly, so got rid of them.

I guess only front mudflaps should suffice to stop the dirt splashing on my doors and ORVMs. Shall do a trial this weekend. :thumbup:

5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nopes imran, i think the color selection of truck kind off mud flaps also matters(though punto color selection was bad), see in the below pic:-

sparco.jpg

sparco2.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  6. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Why call them truck like mudflaps, when you can think of it as rally car like mud flaps :D
    Another advantage that I see in these "rally car" like mud flaps is that they bend. In case of a sharp drop say a pothole or at the edge of a ramp, the plastic mud flaps are sure to break.
    1 person likes this.
  7. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    @pdydeva haha, that's one idea for modification (Rally style mudflaps).

On a serious note, I believe we can get good after market mud flaps for Punto, coz the ones we get in stock condition are just boring and take away the beautiful rear portion look :)

Let me get the suspension rectified first, then shall search for some after market rally type mudflaps.

For now, its been almost and hour am here and the job on my car hasn't started yet. I am afraid of my leave going waste. *fingers crossed*

8. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Update: Got the front suspension job done at Aadya motors today.

Sorry, couldn't take the pics of the service center but it seemed to be a spacious one to me.

As promised, Mashud Khan did the needful, he replaced all the struts again and now I can feel the nose pitch in my car, which means the front struts were causing all the inconvenience.

Now here's an interesting story, we were out on test ride of my car, at the cross road when we were about to take left turn we were waiting for traffic to clear, out of nowhere a Renault Duster bangs my Punto *thud*

The guy on Duster, was drunk and talking on cellphone, so he could hardly notice my car I guess !!!

We got down to see the damage and I notice that there's a small dent besides the boot (paint intact) and some scratches on bumper. His car's bumper got misaligned and paint went off, he was trying to force fit the bumper to its original position but failed in every attempt.

I was angry and annoyed but at the same time was happy coz I had heard about the build quality of FIAT, now that moron proved it by bumping it into.

Somehow after a lot of argument, we could manage to get the Money from him for the damages done.

Took my vehicle and headed to Madhus to get wheel alignment done as Aadya motors has still not got the machinery required.

Looks like the wheel alignment hasn't been done right. Vehicle pulls to right and the steering needs to be tilted to right for keeping car in straight line...

P.S also got a chance to experience the pre-2012 car, man that was the suspension which anyone would fall for. Even on the rough road (no road) the vehicle always remained calm and poised. Even the service advisor said that we can't expect same behavior from post 2012 cars :banghead:

In the end, all the trouble shooting for this bumpy ride from my side is done and dusted !!! Only way to get good ride quality is by sacrificing GC and installing the old struts with anti roll bar as the springs are same in pre-2012 and present Puntos.

Cheers :thumbup:

9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Imran, sorry to burst the bubble but it would have been the opposite and maybe worse if you had banged the duster from behind. build quality of Fiats is good but in this case i don't think theres much to boast about.

Its due to pedestrian safety norms that front of cars are more fragile and the effect of crumple zones is more pronounced!
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  10. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    @shams could be true. I don't want to experiment it either and pray that nothing of this sort happens again bro !!!

Since I bought the car, this is 3rd such instance.

1. I banged a Indicab while reversing and not much damage.

2. A dog jumped on the lane when I was at speed of 40 kmph and I had no choice but to hit it with the front bumper, again no damage.

3. Today Renault Duster bumped my static car, again not much damage !!!

Had it been my Santro, I can't imagine the same happening, luckily I never came across such instances on my Santro till date *touch wood*

So bottom line, still the build quality of FIAT cars is a notch above than others available at that price point !!! We are lucky to own one ;)