1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My grande Punto 90HP - Stunning Italian Beauty "Paula"

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by imranshks, Mar 17, 2013.

1. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

I know i am a bit late, still i would like to take the privilege of starting up an ownership thread of my FIAT Grande Punto 90HP (Paula - That is what i call her).

I am not a good content writer, so please pardon me for a boring or uninteresting write - up. I shall try my best to keep it crisp and short.

I always wanted a hatchback considering my 60 kms of usage in peak hours of Bangalore traffic. Parents wanted me to go for a Sedan which could be used for city and long drives as well.

The saga of test drives begun way back in 2012, i would like to share my experiences. This is purely my opinion and has got nothing to do with the brand of the vehicle or harm of reputation to any product :)

1. Volkswagen Vento - Called the sales executive to electronic city (my ex office) and tool it for a spin on NICE road. The power delivery seemed impressive, especially the power surge when you hit 2000 on rpm *zooooom*.
    Out on the road, touched 110 and applied the brakes to test the ABS and the vehicle almost refused to co-operate with screeching sound of tyres.

Sales guy was :eek:, "i asked is this the top of the line model with ABS?" well it was. Then came the test of the steering at high speeds, cruising at 140 kmph the steering felt feather light and lacked response.

2. Skoda Rapid - Vento's heart again, so the power was quite good but the steering wasn't impressive again. No meaty feel !!!

3. Renault Fluence - Fabulous car, i almost touched 120 kmph on Puttenahalli ring road and felt the road grip, power, steering etc was awesome. Mom and Dad loved the car too. When sales guy explained about the price, in the back of my mind Skoda Laura was revving up :D

4. Skoda Laura L&K Automatic with DSG - My brother and me were floored at the response of the vehicle. It hardly seemed to be a diesel car, 140 HP afterall. Somehow due to the price and poor service reviews, i took a step back.

5. FIAT Linea - The moment i held the steering, i was like "WOW". It seemed sharp footed. I could tackle corners with complete confidence and the ride quality and roadgrip seemed to be on par with a 20 lakh rupees car. We finalized Linea and parents were pretty happy with the space and ride comfort.

Somehow, i was still inclined to bring home a hatchback. I suggested parents to keep the booking on hold.

Drove all the famous hatchbacks like (Ritz, Figo, Polo, i20 (swift i didnt coz i somehow dont like it and long waiting period) except Punto 90HP. None of the dealers had Punto 90HP for test drive and finally i found out Prerana Motors had it.

Finally, when i drove the Grande Punto 90HP, my brother said "I was smiling throughout the drive, no wonder, the car is such". Got back home and said, i finally decided to buy Punto 90HP and convinced my parents on it too.

Deciding factor was the overall feel the hatchback gave was almost like a Sedan. Above that the build quality and ride quality seemed nice to me.

I was always a fan of BNW color but the Exotica red was totally my parents choice. Now i have started liking it too ;)

Finally carried out the booking formalities, Mr. Francis at Aadya motors was very kind and helpful. Got the delivery of the car as promised by him and here you go:

I have had a few niggling issues, few rattling sounds in the car too. I am living with it for now and shall try to get them rectified during 1st service.

Also, there was an annoying sound from the suspension which was rectified after replacing the link rod under warranty.

Thats paula when she completed 1 MB = 1024 Kms :D

Also, attaching a few pics of the gorgeous "Paula". Cant stop myself from clicking her pictures every now and then.

IMAG0733.jpg IMAG0735.jpg IMAG0736.jpg IMAG0737.jpg IMAG0807.jpg IMAG0806.jpg IMAG0810.jpg IMAG0808.jpg IMAG0809.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    14 people like this.
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Congrats on the new car. Red is sexy though.

I got few doubts:

1. Is 90Hp makes any differences in car dynamics, handling, and other stuffs except the power and speed?
    2. if you had driven 76 and 90 Hp, what difference did you find ?
  3. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Congrats imran, welcome to the mighty 90 club.
    nice pictures.

You had good list of vehicles to short list from (sedans) and would have a been a good choise if not for bangalore traffic.
    Enjoy your ride :)
    1 person likes this.
  4. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Absolutely Raj, but our mighty 90 can still put a lots of sedans to shame undoubtedly (Volkswagen Vento) too when it comes to handling.

Am not against any brand or car, but since you own a 90HP too, you will agree on this :D

It's overall a lovely package !!!

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
    2 people like this.
  5. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

1. Difference in dynamics is between pre 2012 & 2012 models and it has nothing to do with 75 or 90HP. The increased GC has affected the sharp footed behavior of the car but still, the difference isn't that huge. The handling and cornering capability of the car still remains fantastic. All thanks to the meaty hydraulic steering setup :)

2. I have driven 75 HP many times, and you really can't make out the difference until you are out on the highway. I have heard from many that 75 HP has more of engine grunt sound at higher speeds (above 130km/h). Never got a chance to drive 75HP at that speed.
    I hardly hear the engine sound in my 90HP even when I cruise at 80 - 100 kmph, yet to cross 100 km/h as I haven't found time to go on a long drive :)

So, what I would conclude is, in city more or less both cars would feel same but out on a highway am sure additional 15 horses would make a good amount of difference.

P.S Punto is Punto no matter its 75HP or a 90HP, You just don't own a FIAT, you fall in love with it :D

3 people like this.
  6. Auto Freak

Auto Freak Amatore

A big Congrats on your ride Imran!
    That's an interesting TD of a mix of cars from various segments before you decided on the Punto!

Paula looks gorgeous in red! Happy miles ahead! :)
    1 person likes this.
  7. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

Congrats on the new car. and welcome to TFI...

- - - Merged Post - - -

and try to get those rear sensors painted....
    1 person likes this.
  8. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Thank you folks... She is gorgeous indeed :D

9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    thats interesting topic here,so imran please let know your engine grunt after 120Kmph.
    75Hp is louder after 120Kmph.
  10. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Definitely, I shall post my experience when I take her out for a spin this weekend :)

1 person likes this.