1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My GP TuscanWine MJD1.3 Dynamic!! Delivery and First 1000 km.

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by spear_man77, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Hi TFIans ---

Let me express my pleasure being with like minded fellow FIAT-ians. I was a FIAT-ian from year 2002 onwards with my Palio 1.2 ELX. Even though i was watching the teamfiat forum, i joined as a member only after i purchased my Grande Punto last month.
    This is my first post in the forum, and is about my new bird. In this post, i am also trying to compare different features with my previous Bird, the Palio 1.2 ELX.

The badge which we are all proud to have!!!

----The Grande Punto 1.3MJD Dynamic----

Pros over my previous bird:
    1. Excellent handling, especially at speeds above 100kph. A tad better than Palio.
    2. Excellent steering feedback. You can close your eyes as you drive and feel the surface of the road by just touching the steering wheel. The feedback is definitely better than the Palio.
    3. Good useful set of features like Electrical ORVM, Seat height/steering height adjustment etc which were not there in my previous bird.
    4. Very good Ground clearance.
    5. More solid confidence inspiring feel.
    6. Dual tone interior is more attractive and feels more roomy.
    7. On my 400km trip, I got a FE of 4.8/100km(20.8km/l) average in mixed traffic. Was driving sedately and kept 70-80 steady. FE is miles ahead of my palio1.2 which gave me the best of 14kmpl on Petrol.

What i dont like:
    1. Fit and Finish is average or below. Lack of quality is evident in plastic/rubber components. My Palio's parts were mostly imported and hence was having excellent quality. I noticed that this deteriorated once they started to source from domestic vendors.
    2. Engine and Gear box is suitable for a more sedate driver and will disappoint those wanting outright performance. It was the same with Palio too.
    3. Turbolag and lack of VGT is clearly evident when you shift from 1st to 2nd due to their long ratios. Need to match the revvs perfectly to avoid lags or jumps.
    4. Suspension feels a bit bumpy especially on uneven roads on low speeds. I am not sure whether this is because of changes made in the suspension for increasing GC.
    5. 185/70 R14 should be made as standard OEM. The bird deserves them. The 165 ones which came along with this is too puny for the job.
    6. One small reverse lamp is totally inadequate for the job. Fiat should either consider changing the rear Fog lamps also into Reverse lamps, or should add them in the Tail lamp assembly itself.
    7. OEM horns and Speakers are not upto the mark. They sound just adequate, but would have been better.

Bird with wings wide open..

Buying experience:

I had initially enquired with the dealers in Kochi for the Price and TDs. At that time, i heard that Exclusive Fiat dealership and Service was coming in Cochin. The dealership was taken by M/s Hyson Motors (who have the Tata-Fiat dealership in Trichur). I got the contact of the executive through my friend and gave him a call. Since they were planning for inauguration by mid of Jan, he happily came to my home to give the details and offered a TD as well. He also offered me the best price i ever got. Initially i thought that i will wait for their showroom to come up. Then one day the sales executive gave me a call and informed that the new price list has come and the hike will be around 18k for the 1.3 dynamic variant. I told him that this was unacceptable, and asked him whether i will get the price if i take it from their Trichur showroom immediately. He checked up with his higher ups and agreed. Their Cochin showroom work was still going on and the vehicle came all the way from Trichur. They kept it in their temporary office where i went and did the PDI. I took delivery of the vehicle on the next day, in front of their unfinished showroom. ;) On a softer note, I am happy to know that they haven't inaugurated their Cochin showroom yet. :p

Tyre Change:

I took the delivery by 5.30 in the evening and took her to the temple. Afterwards i drove straight away to the tyre shop (NewBharath PitStop at NH by-pass) for changing the OEM tyres. Since i had already done the homework researching the tyres i need, there was no delay in getting the job done. I had gone to different shops the previous day, and these guys had offered me the best deal.

I opted for the 185/70 R14 Michelin Energy XM2 which they offered at Rs4900/- per tyre. They offered to take back the 165 JKs at Rs2250/- . Also did the Nitrogen filling, Alignment and Balancing.

They filled up at 34, and on the way back the car felt very bouncy. I had to go back the next day to get it back to 30. Now it feels more comfortable. Need to experiment on this more.

Tyre review:

The XM2 is a very silent tyre. I have had Bridgestones and GY GT3s on my Palio. Both were very noisy. Anyways, It is too early to comment about the XM2 grip, as i have done only 1000km now.

An example for the " below average" Fit and Finish. The pic below shows the gap in the beading which runs horizontally at the bottom of the front wind shield.

I have started to enjoy every moment in my new bird. Will keep you posted on my first service experience (which is expected by June) with the exclusive FIAT service center.

-Spear Man
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Welcome aboard. Many congratulations on the Punto!
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Great review Spear Man. Keep it updated.

About the quality of plastics, issue is mainly about fit and finish. See these rubber is coming out in new car. And this is known issue, they could not fix after so many years.

Excellent choice of tyres.
    1 person likes this.
  4. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Welcome to the Fiat club..... :)
  5. Thanks Gurjinder, Ravi, Rishi.

The quality bothers me more, since i compare it with my 2002 Palio. It had all imported components and the fit and finish was also very good. The lack of quality is evident even in the seat stitching. I feel FIAT should strongly reconsider its vendors/suppliers. The best i have ever saw in a hatchback was in VW Polo.