1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My G_R_A_N_D_E

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Fayad, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Fayad

Fayad Amatore

Tvm
    We bought our Bossa Nova White Grande Punto Emotion in Jan 2013, I wanted to start a ownership report then itself :D but better late than never, so here it is.

Past: We were happy with our alto but always wanted a bigger car. After 7years and 78k kms of reliable ownership the alto was let go.

I started testdriving the cars in the 7L range. What we needed is a diesel hatchback. We zeroed down to i20, figo and punto.

Figo: It had no turbo lag, was good to drive in city, handled well, price was reasonable. But the top end performance wasnt good, also didnt like the looks, plastic quality was poor, no MID (just tripmeter, odometer and Distance to Empty in the display) no power windows etc. Though the fully loaded model(titanium) with abs, airbags, usb mp3 player, bluetooth etc was much cheaper at 6.7L it didnt make us feel any special about it. IMO, at this price point its a better option than swift VDi(7L).

i20: i20 had a more powerful engine(as I was considering 76hp punto) but after the test drive I understood that we couldn't use that power. We could get only the middle model (magna) ie no abs and airbags(Punto dynamic had abs), only the sports and asta versions had abs and airbag but those were highly priced. i20 dint handle well, taking a curve at 50-60kmph was scary, even the much cheaper figo handled much better. The car I testdrove even had 195section tyres(or 205, dont remember exactly) but still it wasnt helping any better. The turbo lag was terrible, had to downshift to 1st many times and in the same place punto and figo were able to go in 2nd gear. This coupled with the 6speed gear box, we'd have to change gears frequently. Brakes were ok i guess, didnt test it much and the model we considered didnt have ABS. The i20 looked like The One at some point but changed the decision after the test drive.

Punto: The car is an absolutely gorgeous beauty. Later came to know that the Grande Punto was designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro who was awarded The Car Designer of the Century. His designs including the Grande Punto, Palio etc are timeless beauties and I've always admired them, they get better with age imo. I've to say that I've become a fan of his designs, especially the Grande Punto.

I had test drove it 2times and have also drove 2friend's puntos. Even with the 165mm tyres the handling was awesome, always sticking on to the road, no body roll. Meaty steering wheel, one of the best(figo's was quite good too). You feel more safe inside a Punto, the car in itself is a safety feature, leave alone abs and airbags and other safety features. Discovered many of the other small features like rear ac vents etc during the ownership. The MID shows a lot of information. Punto is a more VFM car for the features you get compared to the other cars in the segment. So it was decision from the heart and brain.

The purchase: I booked the car at Kulathunkal motors, dynamic variant but later upgraded to emotion. I had printed the PDI document with me when I did the PDI. Everything seemed ok and went ahead with it. I never got the exchange bonus of 10k and a gold coin which they promised, even after going to their office multiple times.

I've to say that buying a Fiat car wasn’t an easy one, in the sense that no one really recommended it, except fiat owners. People were asking like why are you buying that car, is it a good car etc. One has to have some courage to go ahead and buy this car. But once you get the car whole story changes, many people said wow what a car. To the prospective buyers, what I've to say is that if you are a person who loves cars go and buy this car, you'll never regret it. At least give it a shot, test-drive the punto, you'll know what you are missing in other cars.

The D-day (Delivery day :p) The car was promised to be delivered on 23rd January. I went there and inspected the car, there were a few scratches, I put it in notice of the Sales excecutve. They promised to paint the affected areas later, which they did. After the paper works were finished, finally took delivery of the car and headed home. Forgot to take camera, so only mobile phone pics of the delivery day.

Thats me with Varun(varunrtr)

punto delivery.jpg

A few recent photos:

IMG_6365.jpg

IMG_6378-2.jpg

More pictures coming..

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    12 people like this.
  2. ASNM

ASNM Amatore

Navi Mumbai
    Congratulations Fayad. Nice pictures, your BNW looks gorgeous.

BTW, did you not escalate gold coin & exchange bonus matter to Fiat
  3. bharath

bharath Regolare

Coimbatore
    Congrats for the Punto:)..Wish you happy journey in the future..
  4. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Congrats Fayad and beautiful pix :)
  5. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    one of the few friends i influenced to buy fiat ! ;)
    atlast a thread, after an year of purchase :eek:
    1 person likes this.
  6. Fayad

Fayad Amatore

Tvm
    Thanks bharath rishike and ASNM
    They are not fiat dealers any more. I'm glad that they are not :mad:
    You should've also asked me to consider the red colour ;)
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Hey Fayad,

Congratulations on the Grande Punto. Its been almost an year since purchase but nevertheless now's the good time to pen dowin your experiences.

How much has the Punto covered? Did you get any specific accessories added post the delivery? Hows the city & highway driving feel for you?

Happy mile crunching and drive safely.
  8. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Gadag
    Hi Fayad,welcome to TFI.Congrats on Grande Punto,she's looking Drop Dead Gorgeous in pics.Awesome pics.Happy miles with your Grande.Enjoy her.
  9. Fayad

Fayad Amatore

Tvm
    Thanks guys.

It has covered 16k kms now. I got mudflaps, mats and a perfume. I was offered a reverse parking sensor as well, but since the sensors were black I didnt go for it because I didnt knew that they can be painted, I got a tankful diesel for that. Later fixed a parking sensor and painted that one to match the car :p

The driving feel is great. Initially I had trouble with finding the perfect seating position. After adjusting the seat hieght, recline, reach, steering hieght etc, I've got used to it. I'll share the other details, service experience etc soon.

another picture:

IMG_6785.jpg
    6 people like this.
  10. bak

bak Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Congratulations! Happy Motoring!