1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Fox Trot Azure FIAT Grande Punto…..or should I say I have been Punto’d

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by nidhi, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If I may suggest upgrading the tyres might be a better idea and alloy's and seat covers can follow
  2. Tarun

Tarun Amatore

Bhiwani, Delhi
    Exactly as Phew said .. better tyres will provide more grip and will do justice with the stopping power of car. i.e less chances of skid nd you banging in things ..
    seat covers can wait ..
  3. nidhi

nidhi

New Delhi
    new tyres and alloys will set me back with around 30 grands and right now cant afford to spend that much...
  4. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Like I said no need to upgrade to alloys right now just upgrade the tyres and then as and when convinient get alloys. Till then you can use 15" steel rims so your pocket wont be hurt that much.
    New 15"rims(2000) + new tires{michelin primacy lc(22000)} = 24000 - old tires buy back (12-15k min. atleast) = 12-9 k is what you might nees for tyre upgrade. Rest price can be further reduced if u opt for other tyre brands.
    So in all I guess u wont need more than 10k for new tires.
    1 person likes this.
  5. nidhi

nidhi

New Delhi
    Thanks..but i have already driven 800 kms with the present set...will they still fetch me 12-15 k as stated by you...also do you have to buy new wheel covers as rim size will increase...
  6. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The 2000 includes the wheel caps and yes those tires will atleast fetch 15 k
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Nidhi, there's another option :

Just upgrade the tires on stock 14" rims to 185/70 R14 ones. The higher profile tires will enable a slightly more cushioned ride ( read more comfortable). TFIan Royj is using tires of this size and happy with it. I myself am a bigger fan of this setup on 14's than 15's keeping in mind the state of roads that we may encounter in India. But, that's me.

Also, you can enjoy better shoes for the Punto at a lesser cost. The stock 165 tires which the Punto Active comes with look dreadful, and that is putting it mildly.

If in the future, you want to upgrade to 15's, go for Alloys+tire combo.

Cheers.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
    2 people like this.
  8. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    @Nidhi: PM Karan Sharma and Varoon999. they are planning to order Linea OEM Steel rims for their Punto. You can club with them and go for bulk order to the dealer. What Jasveen said is perfectly right. I also drive an active and changed my tires to Yokohama C Drives. You can opt for any good tire with 195/60/R15 (Eg. MRG ZLO, Michelin, Yokohama or Bridgestones Potenza GIII). The change would cost arount 10-12k. For older tires with 800kms run the buy back would be easily 1500 per tire (or even more) and you can fetch some amount for 14 inch rims too (around 2K).

If you opt for seat covers, a good one would cost anything near 6-8K (eg. Autoform etc). I feel the OEM seat fabric is just wonderful and looks classy. Most of us have sticked to OEM seat fabric and hasn't got any seat covers done. You can go for a dry clean whenever required.

I was also having the same thought when i bought my car that OEM tires won't fetch anything and continued to run on them for 30K. But since then i have changed to Yoko C Drives and completed 8K on them, i just love the way they are... Wonderful cornering grip, almost negligible road noise and they boost confidence on highways and ghats.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  9. Nikhil Goel

Nikhil Goel Amatore

I agree Tarun, my daily drive is around 130 Kms divided in 50-50 ratio of highway and city. I am following 15K interval and done 34000 Kms. I am still getting nice average mileage of 21.7Km/L, nice pickup, silent powerful engine.
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Congrats for the car. FTA is a great colour.
    You can go for suncontrol film. Go for the one which has better UV protection.

Regarding tyre upgrade I also advice for 185/70 R14 where you need not have to invest in alloys. If you are a slow driver then can think of update later.

If your usage is 1500 km per month then in less than 6 months the car will cover 7K. So changing oil in 6 months is on the expensive side. I think it is better to stick
    to the 15K interval(10 months).
    Wish a wonderful experience with Punto.