1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My first ever International road trip !!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by varoon9999, Mar 19, 2013.

1. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Key Points to keep in mind to drive and travel in to Nepal.

*Keep your car original document in the car along with insurance.(Car owner need not to be in the car at the time of border crossing).
    *Keep Rupee note denomination below INR 100. 500 & 1000 rupee note will not work in Nepal that easily.
    *Tank up your car in India only,Diesel and Petrol quality are again suspicious there.(Diesel price INR 62/-)
    *Stepney and pump in working condition.Difficult to look out puncture fellows.
    *2-3 photocopies of your RC & License.
    *Print out of hotel vouchers.
    *Try reaching your destination lastly by 10 pm,you will not see anybody in market beyond 10 pm.
    *Mobile phones will not work,moment you cross border.Use STD-PCO,there is A local code +97 for cheaper call rates to India,not sure though for the exact code.
    *Avoid Self driving in Kathmandu,take up taxi.Very crowded some of the areas specially in peak hours.
    *Book hotel with Own free parking,paid parking are pretty expensive like INR 300-400 per day.
    *Stuff you car with eatables,they are expensive in city considering it as a tourist spot.

To Buy there:

Thumb rule here is haggle haggle and haggle....:cool::cool::cool:

90% of the stuff sold there is Indian make and rest 10% is inferior Chinese make(told by a local shopkeeper).
    *Jackets & winter wear and cheaper there,we didn't buy though.
    *Local Handicrafts and wall hangings are worth giving a try.Good embroidery work product you get in here.
    *Get some packets of WAI-WAI noodles.

To Drive in to Nepal:

Nepali Drivers are very sane drivers,they are far patient enough than we Indian's.

*Roads are 98% good with lot of blind curves,can push you car but be cautious on curves.
    *Avoid night Drivings,Curves are misleading in the dark.
    *Keep margin on curves when you see Buses from either of the sides.
    *If vehicle ahead you gives Right indicator that means""Wait for pass".Wherein in our roads right indicator means road clear "go pass by".
    *Before you get your hands on horn to honk,you will get pass before you ask( Applicable only for highways).
    *Driving in Kathmandu in evenings is like any of the metro's in India.Bikes and crowd all over.

Getting to Border:

There are lot many borders from where you can get in to Nepal.Few of which am aware are:

1.Sanauli (95 Kms from Gorakhpur and roads are decent enough single lane with undulations).
    2.Badhnai (Approx 160 kms from Gonda,hell lot of undulations on road,not advisable).
    3.Mahender nagar (This is somewhere in to Uttrakand).Not sure
    4.Kakarbhita ( This is towards west Bengal somewhere).Not sure

Stay in Pokhara:

*Petrol and diesel are in scarcity here,hence black marketing is very obvious.Petrol cost was INR130 in black.
    *Heaven for trekkers,lot of packages and camps are run here on 3,5,10 days basis.
    *Rafting,Paragliding and other sort of sports can be done on the above camps.
    *Can hire cycles & motorbikes to roam around localy. Cycle may not be that handy to climb hills.
    *Bike on hire will cost INR 500 on per day basis and petrol is again in short supply.
    *Tank up your car in Kathmandu,there you have some decent Petrol bunks.avoid bunks on highways and suburbs.
    4 people like this.
  2. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nepal is undoubtedly land of Lord Shiva and Lord Buddha.Would not be incorrect if i call it a land of "KIA Motors" too.

Now am coming to our favorite post which about the cars Nepali drives in..

*Kia Motors(40% owned by Hyundai) Rules here like Maruti rules in India.
    -Picanto (Basic hatch like our ALTO)
    -Rio (basic sedan like Dezire)
    -Lot of Small and big Suv's.

*Toyota again is very common to sight here.
    -Toyota Hilux (Based on fortuner platform,am assuming).
    -Toyota Hacia (Mini Bus/Van for local commuters & tourist)Can be a hit in India if it comes.
    -Toyota Corolla(Local Taxis 1st generation).
    -Toyota Landcrusier & Prado.

*Most of the Indian Brands here.
    *Less of Volkswagen.
    *Good no. of Fiats.
    *Less of skodas.

*Lot of Daihatsu.
    *Lot of Isuzu.
    *Lot of Chery.
    5 people like this.
  3. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Very useful information shared Varoon. Thank you so much :clap
    1 person likes this.
  4. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Cha gaye 22ji aap toh... wonderful travellogue... I read it again in one go...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  5. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3

Thanks Shanky 22ji and Raj29.
  6. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nepal has very low per capita income with not that great GDP rate,still i witnessed so many many brand of cars there which i think will not be coming in to India in next 7-10 years.Every brand people buy there most of them are Koreans, Malaysians and japnese brand.

My observation,80% of the cars in Nepal runs on Gasoline only.Very few takers for Diesel engines.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

**Nissan is again easily traceable on roads.
    **Less of Ford,Saw good 4-5 Ford pick up trucks.
    **Good no of Tara cars,specially Sumo and Indicas.Tata showroom & service center in 3 cities we visited Kathmandu,Pokhara,Butwal.
    **Not much of Hyundai,few santros,getz & i20. Did not see a single New Verna & Elantra.
    **Hell lot of old Mercedes.
    **Did not spot a Single Beemer & Audi.:eek::eek:

Note--Analysis on the cars above are all my observations.

This one Rules here..KIA Motors (Hit in Middle-east too)
    Daihatsu,famous one in Nepal
    American brand, not that many in units.
    Sweet palio
    Hip hop Black
    Most common one there is This monster "HILUX"
    1st gen corolla "Taxi in suburbs"
    Kia Picanto-Alto in Nepal
    Meaty Range rover..
    Range Rover Sport
    Whooping price na for Tata.:evilsmile:evilsmile:evilsmile
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
    3 people like this.
  7. Man 14.45 lakhs for Indica/Indigo? well currently exchange rates are 1:1.6 still it doesn't become 14 lakhs.
  8. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Varoon,
    Great travelogue. Enjoyed reading it. It must have been a very interesting trip.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Sorry for hijacking this for thread,any indian carrier will work in nepal, you have to manually change the operator settings to ncell.
    International roaming rates will be 15rs for incoming/outgoing calls.

Food is very cheap, almost at every place when you convert them to indian currency..1k npr is the average cost of food per couple per meal, which is pretty low compared to india..

People who prefer beef, please be aware that you might served with yak meat..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  10. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ Wolvorine Arnab, i did try that manually changed the service provider but nothing was coming,infact tried it almost every morning.May be Vodafone has some restrictions for its users.

Did see one gigantic hoarding for Volkswagen polo starting from 20.lacs onwards.:eek::eek:
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013