1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My first ever International road trip !!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by varoon9999, Mar 19, 2013.

1. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Now we have reached Gonda and looking for a tire repair shop,luckily got one and showed him the tire he said,side wall has huge cut and tire can't be fixed with puncture but tube will make it normal again.Bought new 15 inch tube got that fixed and swapped the Stepney back to the place.Shop from where i had bought tube asked him about the route to reach "Badhni border".Then we started ahead and passed by another road which had less of potholes but hell lot of undulations.Drove and drove and eagerly awaiting for the "Badhni" mile stone to come and here it was,Badhni 21 kms and we were like finally we made it till here.

At 4'o clock we were at Badhni border,Big gate written INDO-NEPAL welcomed us and we were stopped there.This time we have to get questioned by Indian police and the custom officials.Car was checked in and out just casualy,i was called inside the office which was on my left hand side and questioning started,How many days,how many of you,Where have we come from,Purpose of visit.You have to make an entry here on the register along with car name,make and engine & chassis no. all had to be write and then sign on that and you are free to enter the gate.Don't pay anything here.

Now starts the Real formalities for getting in to Nepal---

We were greeted by the nepal police fellows very gently and asked me for checking my car and they did it,opened our bags too.

Once you cross the border gate and barricade yo will see Nepal police fellows in blue cameoflague. You will be asked to stop your car there and get the formalities and the pass made,walk for 10 steps and on the very left hand side you will see a office where in you will investigated again with the same set of questions as asked by Indian Police fellows.

To drive in to nepal you get two types of passes/permits.

Suvidha is very limited pass,this allows you to drive in to radius of 8-10 kms with limit of coming back in the evening before border closed i think its 6am till 10pm. Suvidha is generally used by local fellows to buy some small stuff across the borders

Bhansaar,is the one you need if you are driving down with your own car.This permit is made on the basis of number of days you wish to stay.Advice would be make this pass for one day extra,it will not cost you bomb.If one is caught driving with over dated bhansaar then penalty is hefty.Cost for getting bhansaar is INR 281.25 per day.In total i paid INR 1406.35 for 5 days.Just opposite to the Nepali police inquiry office you will see this Bhansaar and custom declaration office.In our case we had one laptop and one camera,both of them were used and was not required to be declared as said by one of the officials here.

If you are not able to locate these offices, don't hesitate to ask any of the police fellow,they will help you happily.

Plz bring along good amount of cash, though you have umpteen ATM there but you never know if you have to struggle for a working ATM machine. Dont bring 500 & 1000 INR denomination notes with you to Nepal.They are kind of illegal in Nepal,Indian currency notes 10,20,50,100 can be used anywhere in Nepal without any hesitations.Everybody will accept it happily.If by any chance you have 500 & 1000 rupee notes with you plz get them converted at Bhansaar office they will do it for you for free.I got mine converted here in Nepali currency.

After you are done with this Bhansaar formality walk little further some 30 steps you will see a small blue color beat box on your right hand side,here you have to get yourself a local number plate which will cost you INR 31.25.Green color small no. plate will be issued to you and have to be kept in front of your car all the time till you exit Nepal border.I kept it on the dashboard from where it was clearly see through.

Do keep 2-3 xerox copies of your DL/ID and RC book.There are xerox machines at border office but you can save on to your time.

That was it and you are free to zoom on Nepal roads.After you have entered Nepal you are not free to drive anywhere freely without paying road tax for the places you want to visit.85 kms from "Badhni" we had to get this RTO slip for visiting places in Nepal.This office is situated in a city by name ""Butwal"",which is 85 kms from Badhni and 25kms from Sanauli border.Once you reach Butwal you have to ask for this RTO office for the route permit to be made.This office is located on main road itself but not easily traceable.Please ask somebody for ""YATAYAT OFFICE"".We were asking for RTO office and no body knew it,then a gentleman said plz ask for YATAYAT OFFICE and we got plenty of helping hands to reach out.This office opens at 9 in the morning and closes by 6 in the evening not sure here for the timings.Take your car documents and get this permit made for anywhere in Nepal (if you are not sure of places you want to visit).This place would be flocked by truck drivers so please go ahead and ask permit for Indian vehicle and you will be entertained on priority.Fees paid for driving down anywhere in Nepal was is INR 190/-.Now you are a free bird to fly and roam anywhere in Nepal.

Big relief after seeing this milestone..
    Faced lot of Trucks loaded with Sugarcane.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
    4 people like this.
  2. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This is the "Bhansaar"" you have to get to drive in to Nepal.
    This is for getting the green Nepali no. plate(Indian Tourist vehicles checking card)
    This one you get from YATAYAT OFFICE as a route permit.
    That is how Number plate look like.
    6 people like this.
  3. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Back to travelogue..

Moment you cross border your phones will not catch any signals and you are helpless..

All formalities were done in 20 mins and we headed towards "Butwal".5:45 we were at RTO office "YATAYAT OFFICE" got route permit for whole of Nepal which is like National Permit i.e drive down in any corner of Nepal.Paid INR 190/-and rushed towards Kathmandu which was 255 kms away,as it was getting dusky i was little desperate to get Kathmandu before its too late.Roads are quite hilly with smooth surface,Little bit small bad patches were there but all were almost negligible.Pushed my car hard and reached "Narayangarh"in 2.5 hrs and stopped for Dinner for 30 mins.Cranked again and zooming on the up hills,we were still 2 hrs away from Kathmandu,suddenly again steering stopped responding and i realized that again that punctured tire with tube has fallen flat.Got down jacked up switched to Stepney and reached Kathmandu city at 12"o clock in the night.

We are in Middle of city but whom do we ask for our hotel address???no body was there,fortunately saw two police fellows and asked for their help and in next 15 mins we were at hotel.

Next morning went to Pashupathi nath temple and ohh my god such beautiful temple spent hrs there,hired a guide and he took us through.Post lunch got that punctured tire fitted with 14 inch tube and Nepali local mechanic said sirji,15inch tube was oversized am putting 14 inch now and this will not disappoint you.fixed new tube and again Stepney was back in place.after that we visited Nagarkot and Bhakatpur. While coming back to city from bhakatpur(7kms from kathmandu) again same tire was deflated in middle of the road. Ufff jacked up again and back to Stepney and went back to the same tire fellow and asked him,how this happened??then he said sirji,tubeless tire are not meant for tubes.He fixed with one old repaired tube and i kept that tire as a spare only,not daring enough to use it as regular tire.

We drove down in Kathmandu city and surroundings on our punto only but we realized we should have taken some local conveyance.We were struggling to locate our hotel for 1 hr and again parking is very expensive in Nepal.7"o clock we reached hotel and got freshen up by 7:30 and we were out on streets for little shopping.We couldnt do any shopping reason being shops and market closes by 8'o clock in evening.Next Morning Day 3 we had to head for "Pokhra(3rd biggest city in Nepal).So we slept early..

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    7 people like this.
  4. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    some from the hills.

6 people like this.
  5. sk16

sk16 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    "If you are impressed with i20 then look no further you will any day love punto.Initial pick up in Punto will not be that peppy as compare to i20,punto is class apart go for it."

varoon9999... tu saale baaz na aayio. Well, I don't completely disagree with you though.

David, both the cars have their own ups and downs.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Why the hell did you go to lucknow via kanpur ?? Thats a longer route. Delhi to lucknow via moradabad, rampur is just 500 kms.
  6. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Thats a magic of fiat grande punto

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
  7. davidissac

Thanks Varoon :)
    After seeing the amount of distance you traveled, now I've no hesitation in going for GP 1.3 MJ, because my only concern was, will this car be comfortable for long drives?

8. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3

Hi Issac,

since you are very particular for long drives and comfort then on both the stated parameters punto has an edge over i 20.Fiat cars are very good for highway drives.If you are willing to live with little after sales hick ups with Fiat then go ahead.

@ SK19, So it is you.Good to see you here and welcome to TFI. Start a new thread and introduce yourself.
    3 people like this.
  9. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Day 4,We started for Pokhara at 7'o clock in the morning and touched Pokhara at 12'0 clock.Pokhara has lot to offer for tourists and i my self liked it so much.Pokhara is 250 kms away from Kathmandu and driving down to Pokhara is real fun with nice roads and scenic beauty.We checked in to our hotel ""Middle path"" and took rest till 4'o clock and then we walked down to local street to have a hang of typical street food.Nice street food you get here,no worries if you are vegan like me,you get plenty of veg stuff.Our hotel was located at lake side and there was a huge nice lake Phewa there across the road and we walked till lake and clicked photographs.Explored local market and inquired about the places to see.Naming down some of the places were we had been to.

1.Phewa lake (Nice lake with clear water and can do boating and stuff here).[/SIZE]
    2.Sarang kot (15 kms form lake side area,you can see whole of Pokhara valley and very good to witness sunrise & sunsets).
    3.Bats cave (Naturally build cave of limestone with thousands of caves insides,you can literally walk admits of these bats).
    4.Mahendra cave (Again a cave with limestone with lot of naturally build Hindu statues).
    5.Dewis Fall (Very beautiful falls with white water falling down,its real drooling place).
    6.Local market (to enjoy nepali food and buying good handicrafts).

Phewa lake

Punto Glancing at Phewa lake
    Here we are at Sarangkot,up in the hills.
    On the way up to Sarangkot.
    This is paid parking at sarangkot.
    Wai wai noodles,one of the most selling noodle brand in Nepal.
    View of Pokhara valley from top.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    7 people like this.
  10. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Weather in pokhra is unpredictable it was raining heavily in the morning with hailstorms and after an hour sun was out.After we were back from Sarangkot we headed to see Mahendra and bat cave.Bat cave was really good and little adventures.This cave is made on its own and made of only limestone.Both the caves are very close to each other and distance from city was 7 kms.Bats caves has hell lot of bats inside it and you see them with your naked eyes from 1 mtr of distance.Please get hold of a Guide to take you through the cave and to tell you about the history of this bat cave.Guide will charge you some INR 140 to take you around.Inside bat cave its always pitch dark,when you get ticket for bat cave you have to rent a big torch light to see inside.

Mahendra cave is again somewhat similar to bat cave with no bats and this cave is quite easy to go through.Get hold of a small torch if you have in your car and you can go in.

Cost per ticket for both the caves was is INR 15 per person.

streets of Pokhara in the evenings..
    Here comes the rain.
    Entrance for the Bat world.
    Our guide with torch light,about to get in.
    Let's count the bats.
    This is all limestone,glitters when light falls on it.
    This is the entry point for Mahendra cave.
    Shot inside Mahendra cave.
    10 people like this.