1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

MY FIAT LINEA HAD A DATE WITH GOA/MAHABALESHWAR/MUMBAI/PUNE

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by J Ravi, Jun 6, 2010.

1. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Part 1: Bangalore to Goa

Even though I have been driving for more than three decades, my driving was restricted to the southern states of India, i.e., until February, 2010. After becoming a proud owner of Fiat Linea, I had been contemplating to drive in my Fiat Linea to break my own record. So, after discussing with my wife and two daughters, I decided to drive in my Fiat Linea for a long trip of Bangalore-Goa-Mahabaleshwar-Mumbai-Pune-Bangalore. I had visited Goa, Mumbai and Pune several times in the past, but not Mahabaleshwar.

I made online reservations for our accommodation at Ginger Goa, Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation [MTDC] Holiday Resorts, Mahabaleshwar, Oritel Service Apartments, Andheri [E], Mumbai and Ginger Pune, Wakad. I decided to take NH 206/17 for the up journey and NH 4 for the return journey. I planned and saved the routes in my MapMyIndia [MMI] Lx 130 navigator. The exact locations of our places of stay, points of interest and restaurants were also saved. From the Internet and websites of oil marketing companies, I collected the details of locations of company owned company operated [COCO] retail outlets in my route. My wife had packed some snacks, biscuits, bottles containing drinking water and fruit juice.

DAY 1: 27 February 2010, Saturday

We started at 1:15 am from our home. On the previous day, my Fiat Linea’s fuel tank was filled to the brim and tyre pressure was checked and kept at 36 psi in all the four wheels and spare wheel. I took Magadi Road. Though there was no traffic at all at this time, crossing Magadi Road was a nightmare as it was barricaded for road-widening work. Construction materials were dumped on the road with huge humps. Somewhere near Sunkadakatte, my Fiat Linea’s bottom was touched by one such huge hump. Then, while going down the exit ramp of NICE Road towards Tumkur, another bottom-touching, followed by big hump at Tumkur BP. After three cases of bottom-touching, it was smooth-sailing for my Fiat Linea. Karnataka PWD/NHAI engineers and contractors should learn from their Goa and Maharashtra counterparts the art of building speed-breakers/humps/rumbler strips.

[attachment=4:2g4x0947]Goa Maha Trip 002.JPG[/attachment:2g4x0947]

NH 206 is okay. But, in some stretches like Tiptur, Arasikere, etc. the road width reduces to intermediate lane wide [4.5 m] and the road surface was also rough, but driveable.

We reached Shimoga by 5:45 am and had coffee near the KSRTC bus station. My Fiat Linea’s tank was also got topped up. The road quality improved after Shimoga as could be seen from the photographs. We enjoyed the scenic beauty of rising sun on our way to Sagar. At Sagar, we had our breakfast and continued our journey.

[attachment=3:2g4x0947]Goa Maha Trip 005.JPG[/attachment:2g4x0947]
    [attachment=2:2g4x0947]Goa Maha Trip 012.JPG[/attachment:2g4x0947]
    [attachment=1:2g4x0947]Goa Maha Trip 014.JPG[/attachment:2g4x0947]
    [attachment=0:2g4x0947]Goa Maha Trip 021.JPG[/attachment:2g4x0947]

To be continued.

Goa Maha Trip 002.JPG

Goa Maha Trip 005.JPG

Goa Maha Trip 012.JPG

Goa Maha Trip 014.JPG

Goa Maha Trip 021.JPG
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Re: MY FIAT LINEA HAD A DATE WITH GOA/MAHABALESHWAR/MUMBAI/P

At the top of the Western Ghats from the view point, we saw the glimpse of Linganamakki Dam, which is the main storage reservoir for Sharavathy Hydro-Electric Project with a total installed capacity of 1469 MW.

[attachment=4:115wzusi]Goa Maha Trip 034.JPG[/attachment:115wzusi]

We took a deviation near Jog Falls and visited Sri Chowdeshwari Temple, Kargal.

[attachment=3:115wzusi]Goa Maha Trip 036.JPG[/attachment:115wzusi]
    [attachment=2:115wzusi]Goa Maha Trip 037.JPG[/attachment:115wzusi]

We continued our journey and had lunch break at Kamat Upachar, between Ankola and Karwar. After entering Goa, I got my Fiat Linea’s tank topped up. The petrol price in Goa was less by Rs 5 per litre compared to Bangalore. We reached Ginger Goa, Panaji, by 4:30 pm. We checked in, rested for a while, refreshed and started for Miramar beach for seeing the sunset. We had an early dinner at Kamat Hotel, took some photographs of Church of Mary Immaculate Conception, which was really grand with moon shining at the top and called it a day at last.

[attachment=1:115wzusi]Goa Maha Trip 073.JPG[/attachment:115wzusi]
    [attachment=0:115wzusi]Goa Maha Trip 077.JPG[/attachment:115wzusi]

More to come.

Goa Maha Trip 034.JPG

Goa Maha Trip 036.JPG

Goa Maha Trip 037.JPG

Goa Maha Trip 073.JPG

Goa Maha Trip 077.JPG
  3. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore

[attachment=4:2o4oestg]Goa Maha Trip 082.JPG[/attachment:2o4oestg]
    [attachment=3:2o4oestg]Goa Maha Trip 083.JPG[/attachment:2o4oestg]
    [attachment=2:2o4oestg]Goa Maha Trip 093.JPG[/attachment:2o4oestg]

DAY 2: 28 February 2010, Sunday

Here, I should tell a few words about Ginger Goa. Ginger Hotels, a Tata Enterprise, are managed by Roots Corporation Limited. I reserved online two weeks before this trip and got 15% discount in tariff. I paid Rs 1619 per day per standard room for two persons. It was located in Panaji. Dedicated and secured car parking was available within the campus. Trolleys were parked near the entrance to facilitate easy transportation of our luggage similar to the ones in airports.

After breakfasting at Kamat Hotel, we again visited the Church of Mary Immaculate Conception. Then, we proceeded to the Basilica of Bom Jesus, the shrine of St Francis Xavier and Se Cathedral.

[attachment=1:2o4oestg]Goa Maha Trip 105.JPG[/attachment:2o4oestg]
    [attachment=0:2o4oestg]Goa Maha Trip 107.JPG[/attachment:2o4oestg]

More to follow

Goa Maha Trip 082.JPG

Goa Maha Trip 083.JPG

Goa Maha Trip 093.JPG

Goa Maha Trip 105.JPG

Goa Maha Trip 107.JPG
  4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore

[attachment=4:14b3q1gb]Goa Maha Trip 111.JPG[/attachment:14b3q1gb]
    [attachment=3:14b3q1gb]Goa Maha Trip 118.JPG[/attachment:14b3q1gb]
    [attachment=2:14b3q1gb]Goa Maha Trip 119.JPG[/attachment:14b3q1gb]
    [attachment=1:14b3q1gb]Goa Maha Trip 125.JPG[/attachment:14b3q1gb]
    [attachment=0:14b3q1gb]Goa Maha Trip 127.JPG[/attachment:14b3q1gb]

To be continued.

Goa Maha Trip 111.JPG

Goa Maha Trip 118.JPG

Goa Maha Trip 119.JPG

Goa Maha Trip 125.JPG

Goa Maha Trip 127.JPG
  5. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore

[attachment=4:95lny2xx]Goa Maha Trip 133.JPG[/attachment:95lny2xx]
    [attachment=3:95lny2xx]Goa Maha Trip 136.JPG[/attachment:95lny2xx]

After lunching at Kamat Hotel, which had become a home away from home for us, we rested and visited Fort Aguada and Calangute beach in the evening, in time for another sunset.

[attachment=2:95lny2xx]Goa Maha Trip 147.JPG[/attachment:95lny2xx]
    [attachment=1:95lny2xx]Goa Maha Trip 150.JPG[/attachment:95lny2xx]
    [attachment=0:95lny2xx]Goa Maha Trip 161.JPG[/attachment:95lny2xx]

Goa Maha Trip 133.JPG

Goa Maha Trip 136.JPG

Goa Maha Trip 147.JPG

Goa Maha Trip 150.JPG

Goa Maha Trip 161.JPG
    Anantha Nayak likes this.
  6. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai

Great pics, J.Ravi

Keep them coming....
  7. Re: MY FIAT LINEA HAD A DATE WITH GOA/MAHABALESHWAR/MUMBAI/P

Great expedition and lovely pics. You are giving me inspiration to take :car also on the same route. The only change will be I would be starting from Mumbai instead :mrgreen:
  8. Grandeur

Grandeur Staff Member Janitor

Just wonderful, I'm sure u had the gr8 time!
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore

Thanks a lot, Amit and Grandeur, for kind compliments.

Arvind, I always enjoy my Fiat Linea on highways and not on crowded and congested roads of Bangalore. Even in Mumbai, we had a nice time of driving through Marine Drive [twice!] and other places in the small hours of the day.
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    [attachment=3:2ub9wv8f]Goa Maha Trip 173.JPG[/attachment:2ub9wv8f]
    [attachment=2:2ub9wv8f]Goa Maha Trip 181.JPG[/attachment:2ub9wv8f]

DAY 3: 1 March 2010, Monday

We breakfasted at Kamat Hotel and proceeded to Dona Paula.
    [attachment=1:2ub9wv8f]Goa Maha Trip 197.JPG[/attachment:2ub9wv8f]
    [attachment=0:2ub9wv8f]Goa Maha Trip 206.JPG[/attachment:2ub9wv8f]

From Dona Paula, we returned to Ginger Goa, via Oasis, BP dealer, where my Fiat Linea’s fuel tank got topped up once again. We packed, checked out, lunched at Kamat Hotel and hit NH 17 to Mahabaleshwar. The quality of roads in Goa was excellent. The roads may be narrow but they are free from potholes. The speed-breakers/humps/bumps have been scientifically built.

More to come.

Goa Maha Trip 173.JPG

Goa Maha Trip 181.JPG

Goa Maha Trip 197.JPG

Goa Maha Trip 206.JPG