1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Exotic Red EP ------ ABARTH

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by thomman85, Dec 1, 2011.

1. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

how-fiats-punto-can-outsell-maruti-swift
    How Fiat's Punto Can Outsell Maruti Swift | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

how-fiats-punto-can-outsell-maruti-swift
    How Fiat's Punto Can Outsell Maruti Swift | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

Mod's please move the above two post to appropriate threads.

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Mod's please move the above two post to appropriate threads.
  2. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

that was a very embarrassing movement.

After a wonderful weekend at home.. my return journey today morning was greeted by disappointment and regret.

My only Regret: WHY WHY DIDN'T I BUY THE 90HP !!??!!

Disappointment: 3cylinder VW Polo was well capable of going one on one with the might MJD
    Although i knew polo capable of doing 140+.. but was quite surprised by the performance and acceleration of the 3cylider engine (i think it was a diesel it had TDI tag on the rear).

Started from Changanacherry by around 6:20am and hardly after a10-15mins.. a red polo zoom passed me.. and i quickly caught up.(as my wife was in the passenger seat and also a sleep i dint wanna wake her up.. so no hardy gear shift or crazy driving.) Noticing me he took off..(The polo also had a good acceleration. ).:redcar. Reached my home in Vytilla by around 7.30am

in the stretch between Alleppey and Chry.. a quick glance i noticed the speedo at 130+ .. and was pretty sure my wife was awake..and i dint bother to confirm as my eyes were glued to the road.
    i did get a chance to over take ,but din't want to take any risky overtaking at those speeds
    after a while polo slowed down and gave side and let me pass.. that was a very embarrassing movement.

My speeds came down to 100-80-60.. and entered the NH47 and almost after crossing alleepey, he came back again zoomed pass me.. I forgot to mention it was a doctors car. the rear windshield had those Doctor Sign.
    On the highway, i dint want to overtake as it was quite busy,so stayed close behind and stopped behind him at the traffic signals and at the toll.. after that we both took different routes..

i also noticed another car..an alto k10 with risky overtaking..some one who had no respect for his own life.. Guess what again.. a DOCTOR car.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  3. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Yes Thomma we need to accept that the 3 pot is a peppier engine. Though you have not felt like your car was doing 130+ it would have been just the opposite to the polo driver. The 3 pot makes lot of noise & the vibration too would have been more.
    1 person likes this.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Polo is ligher than Punto and have a excellent gearbox. Though we call 1.2 and 1.3 the difference in CC is not 100cc. The difference is only 49cc. Being a 3 pot doesn't mean they are not quicker. They are quicker like 4 pot. But they cannot match the smoothness of a 4 cylinder. He might have experienced fireworks in his cabin.
    1 person likes this.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Ahh. Another incident with the 1.2 TDI :D.

I also had a very unpleasant experience with a Fabia TDI last December while I was coming back to Chennai on NH45. Fabia impressed me with very quick acceleration and he was able to keep pace with me. He was also able to take corners at any speed as I do in my Linea. Impressed again. At one point, we came to a standstill due to trucks and started to accelerate at the same time. I was able to hear the engine noise of the Fabia inside my Linea :D. Still, Linea saved its face by not allowing the Fabia to succeed. But, the notable point here is that he was able to keep pace with me at any speed. It is this incident after which I have got high regard for Skoda and Fabia.
  6. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I am not at all agree with you guys, MJD can anytime beat those punny 1.2 TDi and is 90HP is capable to fight with Vento's 1.6 TDi engine. My personal experience on Pune Mumbai expressway.
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    my few cents....
    I agree with Kedar on this one...
    Its not about the speed its all about how one can maintain that..
    I mean there are very very long discussions w.r.t cars with lower specs beating its higher counterparts..

Point 1.) Smoothness , Smoothness and more of it.
    I've asked people who own polo (and these guys know their cars well), they say that vibrations can be felt easily and the engine strain is very evident , I never faced it in my punto till i reached 150kmph (especially after the remap)

Poin 2) Speed isn't everything
    On my way back from Kanyakumari i had stopped for the toll and i saw a polo with 4 guys in it , I felt it was looking odd and when i saw the suspension i was SHOCKED. The car had become a low rider .
    My punto also had 4 guys in it , so i steeped out and saw my end of the story and i was pleasantly surprised to see that the car did not sit down at all.
    What is the advantage?
    Well this means that the suspension is still free to work its magic at high speed as there is little or no strain put on it by default , Now this comes in mighty handy while taking high speed corners and zig-zagging through them.
    I was very very happy to see this.

Point 3.) Shifting gears is also important.
    I was able to keep a laura at bay till 110 on a straight stretch on that same trip.
    How did i manage this?
    Well red line the gears and change them swiftly and the car was happy to respond.
    Note: this laura fellow was so furious that I didn't give him way , that he overtook me in a dash to 140 and blocked my route and played with me for a while.( I was smiling that i can give nightmares to a laura)

So what's the point?
    There is more to a car than just straight line speed, we just need to know the weakness and strong points and exploit them that's all..

Final note:
    Having said that, we still own a petty 1.3 so there is only so much it can do. I just enjoy it the way it is and feel happy to see its strong points come across well
  8. Guys, Polo TDI most of the time will be running on tuning boxes, i had a tough time beating a polo tdi one time with my 75 hp punto [both cars produce same hp :)] and only at 160 kmph i was able to over take it. After a while we both stopped for a break and then i came to know that he was running on a tuning box.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Remember it is same 1.3 which is powering the massive tank Linea. I don't think 1.2tdi can do some justice to vento or rapid.
  10. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Kedar, whether you agree or not, my experience with the Fabia TDI is very true. One possibility could be they might have used tuning boxes.

Yes, you are right that 1.2 TDI can be beaten on a open highway but not on a road with some traffic where you can't do beyond 120. Polo/Fabia TDI reaches those speeds very quickly than our Punto and Linea.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012