1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Electric Blue 1.4E+ Grande Punto, christened as Trinity.

Discussion in 'Punto 1.4 Fire' started by MihirC, Dec 30, 2010.

1. MihirC

MihirC Amatore

Mumbai
    massive dip in mileage post first service

My FE in the city with full time AC used to hover between 10.5 to 11 and the tankfull to tankfull method usually showed more FE than the mid( 9.6)

When I got the car back frm first service the MID showed 5.6 which surprised me but I partly ignored it considered the driving by the ASS guys as they had to drive the car to check out the squeaks from the rear seats that I had asked to be rectified. But I was and still am shocked that when I checked the FE by tankfull to tank full method I got just 6.8 km/ltr. I was a bit apprehensive but decided to wait for refuelling again and sadly even now its around 7 to 8 km/ltr. Will be taking an appointment with the ASS again to have it checked up. Any idea why this might be happening guys???

Also very poor service from the ASS at worli. The beading inside the engine hood was lying loose on the engine, beading and gaskets missing in a few places so dam upsetting man. Next time not going to worli for sure.....:evil:
  2. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hey Buddy, Go there and make a hell lot of noise that's the way to treat TASS, and if possible do the FIAT customer Service call from the dealer itself and let them apologize to do and do the needful.
    Regarding the FE reset settings and do it again.
  3. MihirC

MihirC Amatore

Mumbai
    Thanks mate. Will do it this week itself. Feels like I'm driving a 2 tonne E or 5 or an A5 lol. Would ecu reset help.. I mean I know it controls absolutely everything but then too...cos the best part is of my 24 kms drive a day for 18 odd kms the Ic shows more than 11+...
  4. MihirC

MihirC Amatore

Mumbai
    Journey from my last post, the hiccups the triumphs and 6900kms update.

As usual I will start off saying the same line I always say, “Its been a long time since I posted here” lolz.

Well too many things have been happening since the last post. To carry on from the last time my FE dropped disastrously post the first servicing. It was so bad that no matter with how much a light right foot , the FE never crossed 6.8kms/ltrs. Even on a trip to lonavla and back on the expressway the FE I got was 7.3. These figures are calculated by the tankfull to tankfull method.

Even after 4 tankfulls when the FE didn’t seem to improve, I took an appointment with the service center at worli. The fault was diagnosed as the gap between the spark plug had increased, the issue was fixed and I was told that the FE would be back to normal ( around 10km/ltr in the city with 100% AC) Though the service assistant informed that for Punto the standard FE is between 8-9 kms/ltr, hahahahaha.

It was late when I got the car back so didn’t get to check the car properly. The next day when I opened the hood I was appalled by the sight. The beading inside the hood just below the wiper had fallen down in the engine bay, the cap on the battery was dangling loose, one of the plastic clamps on the light bulb assembly was broken, there were scratches on the driver side door and the single folding seat behind the driver was not fixed in place. I put back things in place ( the beading strip, the battery cap ) but the seat just wouldn’t snap back in the slot. Apprehensive about what the ASS guys might further screw up in the car I took it to my regular mechanic and he could fit slot the seat back in place after a lot of efforts.

This is when I just lost my cool completely, such a freaking bunch of nincompoops these guys are. The best part was the response by the SA was like a BMC official, completely laid back attitude. After lot of contemplation, I escalated the issue to the top management, it wasn’t a complaint but more of a helpless plea.

Imagine my surprise when I was responded to in a matter of minutes by the management and in the next hour I got a call from the stupid SA. I asked him to call me back later. In the mean time I got a text from Tata motors which mentioned my complaint no was xxxxxxxxxx. So I called up the service center and told them complaint no and hearing the complaint no the lady blurted out “ oh!!!Mr. Sahani how are you and blah blah. She asked me to get the car to the service center and I told her that I would gladly but I wasn’t getting an appointment since the past 2 weeks. She was prompt to reply that I needent have an appointment and I could drop in the car anytime and any day I want. The next day when I went to the service center the etiquettes, mannerism and the courtesy extended by the entire staff made me feel as if I had just bought a RR to the service center hahahahaha. Got a call in the evening from the service center that the car was ready. I checked the car thoroughly but it was raining and dark but the car seemed fine, it seems the service guys had not fixed the seat lock at the base so the seat was not locking.

Happily I left with the car, excited about the Alibag trip that was lined up in the next 2 days, not knowing what was in store for me. We started off in the morning at 7. Just when I reached the palm beach road, the whole MID blinked, it was more like a restart of the MID. The good thing which happened was, initially the avg FE figure used to change once only after driving more than 5-6 kms, which I used to find a bit weird. After this “restart” the avg FE started chaging after every 10 seconds or so and this seemed more normal. Just when I was feeling happy about the whole thing(we were near the panvel Macs then), my eyes started burning and my throat was kind of stinging. I was scared like hell to see white smoke coming out of the AC vents it wasn’t stopping at all, not even when I shut the AC off. Worse was there were these white particles like ash. I was a bit worried as my parents were with me. Then I did one of the stupid things I do, this doesent make sense alright, atleast not logically, but I stopped the car and kind of spoke to the car it more like a mental conversation which I have had with my other cars as well, I usually talk to them before long or out off station drives….. lolz don’t ask. Well I got a feeling that I didn’t have to turn back and the car could make the whole journey. As luck would have it, there was a freaking traffic jam and it took me more than 6 hrs to cover the 120kms distance. I put the AC on again after some time and was working fine. The traffic the pollution and the heat could let me have the windows open. We reached properly and left back from there by 3pm. On the way back the AC was working fine all the way till I entered my building and then my eyes started to sting again so I shut it off and parked the car, the FE I got on this trip was around 12kms/ltr. I wasn’t too sure if this was good or not, this trip was planned especially to see if the FE issue was resolved, and I still didn’t have my answer. Now I parked the car and went home. The next day was the first day of ganpati festival and I tried to start the car but it just wouldn’t.

I called up the service center and spoke to the same lady who had attended to me before and she promptly arranged for a towing truck and the car was towed away. When I went to pick up the car in the evening I was informed that the AC relay was burnt due to a loose connection. I blasted the guy as they were the ones who had worked inside the hood. Anyways the issue was resolved and I went back home only to find that the seats squeaking issue was back…Don’t ask. I gave the car back again to resolve the issue and sadly it hasn’t been resolved yet but well , we are working on it lolz. The good part is they polished the car and detailed it from the insides every time I gave them the car. Especially the last time I gave them the car , they wax polished it from outside, polished the tyres and again polished and detailed the interiors, even the engine bay was cleaned or waxed or some coat of liquid was applied that I do not know but the engine bay and all the pipes were gleaming.Pretty happy now. Yaaaayyyy. The new SA, Prakash is really good. The best part though was I was not charged a single penny for even one of the trips that I made, not even for the internal and exter wax polishing.

A long trip to Pune and a 6900kms update.
    After the disaster trip to alibag, where I couldn’t test the FE, I was aching to take Trinity for a long drive to stretch her legs as well as to get an idea on the FE. Left at 8.45 in the morning, the roads were pretty empty. Was taking it slow and driving sticking to the speed limit of 80kms/hr lolz. After driving like that for 20kms, my wife and sister in law couldn’t bear to see everyone passing us by, even the 800’s and the spark’s and asked me to speed up. Just ahead of the first toll the roads were really empty and the temptation was unreal, had a real tough time deciding whether I check the FE or whether I let the hell break loose. Finally throwing the caution to the wind I pushed the accelerator down and boy ,I realized Trinity was waiting for this. In no time I was zooming on the straight road with minimal traffic at speeds of 150kms/hr, the max I had driven was at 160kms /hr and even at 150kms /hr there was this 5-6kms of open stretch before me so I kept going on and soon it was 170kms/hr….. the car was quite stable even at that speed and in all probability I could have pushed till 175/180kms/hr but better sense prevailed and I slowed down. As much as it makes me sound like a hypocrite, travelling at speeds in excess of even 120 can prove fatal and not advisable.

At 170kms/hr in the 5th gear I was @5500 rpm, the engine was not sounding so strained, it was more of the tyre noise. Then on the ride was at more sedate speeds not exceeding 110kms/hr and I don’t know how to put this forth but the engine kind of opened up even more. The responsiveness the rev happiness the engine note all became so much better and melodious. On the way back I never exceeded 120kms/hr and managed to get a FE of 17kms /ltr on the highway and 15.5kms/ltr after entering Panvel till Dadar. I guess that means that there is no problem in the ECU/spark plug/the engine and the FE I get in the city, between 8.5 to 10.5 kms/ltr is purely based on the traffic conditions. What do you feel guys.

To conclude the car has always been a gem, on all fronts, the comfort, the features, the ride and handling the FE. The power (90bhp) is more than adequate and the car does not feel sluggish, not even in the first and second gear. And the service received from the TASS was so much better. These guys can really do a good job you know. I also feel that the engine will open up a bit more till 10,000 kms. Trust me guys there is no greater pleasure than feeling your engine open up.

PS- When I had stopped the car @ panvel to speak to her, the only thing I told her was that I love her a lot and please don’t let me down… and she didn’t.

I have also added an accessory, which is 3D kagu mats in the car, they cost me 3900Rs/- but its really worth it, me thinks, both with respect to looks and functionality.

All the pics will be added in the next post!!!
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  5. Very nicely written, felt happy reading it. I love the engine sound 1.4 makes

PS: You reminded me of Avatar movie where they will be speaking to Eywa - lol
  6. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Nice written MihirC, can you click picture of your 3Dmats, Wishing you a Trouble free drive always..............
  7. loved reading your post and as you have mentioned, in city driving FE is a disaster since in my 1.3 MJD also I am getting between 10 and 11 and on highways it varies between 19 and 21 and by the way we both have EB Punto's.... :)

Pls do post pics of your 3D mat
  8. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Mihir I felt very proud owner of Punto. When did u visit Pune. u should let us know..... aa jate hum log milne :)
  9. MihirC

MihirC Amatore

Mumbai
    Arre I was there just this sunday, was planning to text the pune team, you, amogh, vks and the gang, but sadly was there just for lunch with family, reached at 12, had some work at southern command, then lunch at shreyas , small trip to Ishanya mall and then back home, and all this in 4 hrs lolz. The next time I come will be texting you guys beforehand for sure..... How many have you clocked on the 90 hp monster??
  10. MihirC

MihirC Amatore

Mumbai
    Hey I'm glad you enjoyed reading my post, I thought it was a tad bit too long hahahahaha. Well now that I got 17 on the highway, I'm at peace now after 3 months. I ll surely post the pics tomorrow, was having some problem transferring the pics today..