1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Electric Blue 1.4E+ Grande Punto, christened as Trinity.

Discussion in 'Punto 1.4 Fire' started by MihirC, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Re: My Electric Blue 1.4E+ Grande Punto, christened as Trini

Thanks will surf the Jun/july mails), or maybe i can contact Granduer
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa

MihirC, Congrats for your car. I too have a 1.4 petrol. It is a awesome car and a killer in Electric blue. I have a doubt. Do we need to wax if paint protection treatment has already done? In my case I always get 18+ in all my trips(50km on average) and many times moved above 19kmpl . Initially I practiced my driving with IC and now I can almost guess the mileage without looking at avg consumption. whenever there is a down slope remove the accelerator the make use of inertia. This will save lot of fuel. For me the usage is not much but I want to prove it to myself that 1.4 petrol is not in any way back compared to 1.2 jazz ,swift and i20. The car is flexible for all kind of driving styles.
  3. MihirC

MihirC Amatore

Mumbai

Well even if the paint protection is already done, I feel a wax treatment is always good as it doesent do anything more than just adding a protective layer on your car. And from my experience, the car is much easier to clean post waxing as the dust does not stick onto the car , also the detrimental effects of crow/batshit are reduced. Plus its an easy DIY job.
  4. MihirC

MihirC Amatore

Mumbai
    2500kms update, along with 3 out of town trips.

Hi guys,

Its been ages since I updated this thread so here it goes. Since my last drive to Pali, I was lucky enough to go for 3 more long drives, one to Uran, the next one to Alibag and a third one to Mahabaleshwar which was the most recent one and a cracker of a drive.

Below I have noted down my observations and the improvements that I have observed in all the trips in order.

Uran-

This was the first trip after pali and the car had barely clocked 1200 kms on the odo. The engine was good and responsive. The features, the ride comfort and handling of the car has satisfied all my requirements. Was still keeping the revs below 3-3.5k rpm. Mileage was around 12-13 max. I personally felt it was a bit less keeping in mind the highway drive but since the car was barely 1200kms old , I choose to reserve my comments till the car clocks 5000+ kms.

One thing which I observed was that when the temperature outside was 35-36 degrees, the cabin was not getting cooled as effectively, especially at the rear even when the temperature was set at 18. It wasn’t uncomfortable but in no ways comfortable as well with 4 people in the car

Alibag-

The drive as usual was simply amazing and the way Punto holds on to the road, the ride quality and handling is simply awesome and amazes me every single time and I realize I made the right decision buying this car. When I went for drive to alibag the car had clocked around 1500kms and what I felt is the engine still seemed not to have opened up as much as I would have liked. Downshifting from 4th to 3rd while overtaking would result in the engine sounding/feeling very strained and not eager or rev happy. This time I revved the engine for a couple of minutes till 4-4.5k rpm

Had the misfortune of going over a pothole and in the last ditch effort to maneuver the car away I still hit the pothole. From that time onwards, I have to turn the steering a bit towards the left in order to move in a straight line. Will get this sorted out during my first servicing. Again in this trip the mileage I got was 12-13 in the highway trip which was a bit disappointing.

Mahabaleshwar-

We started off from here by 8 in the morning driving leisurely took a small break at the Panvel Macs and then took off. This time as I was on the express way while downshifting from 4th to 3rd at a speed of around 80 , I was amazed. Instead of the regular strained engine noise and feel which I used to experience till now, the engine felt more responsive and “opened up” and instead of the strained engine noise there was this sweet addictive gurgle from the engine as if the engine was purring which said, I m free and I want to be revved lol. The car was run around 2000 kms by this time. And this was when I realized what people say about FIAT engines, the more kms you clock the better the engine gets. Just cant wait to drive her around more and more. The engine is responsive in every gear now and every speed, it feels great

One more thing which I observed was, Initially I used to get max mileage as per instantaneous consumption between 2.5 k rpm to 3 k rpm , but on the way back from mahabaleshwar at the speed of 140km/hr in the 5th gear at 4200 rpm, I was getting around 18km/ltr

Needless to say, I couldn’t hold back and pushed her on an open stretch of road and the car went upto 165km/hr @ 5000 rpm effortlessly and was very stable even at those speeds.

So now Im getting

A good mileage even at higher rpm

Much more responsive engine

Gear Box still feels a bit notchy sometimes but I guess that will be sorted out in the first servicing at 3000kms.

The only drawback was the AC , the side blowers hardly have any air throw. Will be getting the AC replaced under the FIAT drive soon.

Over all mileage(tank full to tank full method) for 400kms highway and 200 kms of city driving which I got was 15.53kms/ltr with 100% AC, which I feel is quite good for a car that weighs 1145kgs, and in all probability the mileage will improve a bit more after the first service.

The odo reads 2471kms now in 3.xx months which is not much but my job doesent permit me to take holidays too often

All in all Im a very happy man. The only draw back was the front and rear bumper have a nasty gash with the paint peeled out completely but no dents( stupid drivers in the society) and I feel the only way to get them done is by repainting them completely.

Any idea on how much would a complete repaint of both the bumpers would cost from the company ???

PS- Got a tentative quote of 10k Rs for complete repaint of both front and rear bumpers.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  5. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    How was the drive to Mahableshwar, I am planning for it, can you please ellaborate the route to mahableshwar and the pin points,
    Do park the car away from the stupid and negligible drivers
  6. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    I am planning a drive to Pune and visit Mahabaleshwar and all kind of information will help.. by the way, when are you planning the trip? If its next week i may join too but on weekend (23-Apr) have to visit Pundit Auto for the summer checkup and cant miss it.

Thanks
  7. 10K is costly since both my bumpers were done a full repaint for 4.5K from the company and if I had it done from outside it would have cost me around 2 K

8. MihirC

MihirC Amatore

Mumbai
    The drive to Mahabaleshwar was good Tony, Thanks.

@ Cubbie- I already made that trip So sorry mate, but we call all plan some trip again.

Heres the directions.

The drive to Mahabaleshwar was good Tony,Thanks. The route which I took was from Palm beach road go to Pune, from Pune take a right turn to Wai keep going straight take 2 ghats and Voila you ll reach Mahabaleshwar.

I joined the express way. The the expressway all the way to Pune. Once you reach the pune city road, keep going straight ahead for around 50-60 kms. Then watch out for the sign boards indicating Mahabaleshwar. You will reach a flyover , but you dont have to take it, go from under the flyover and there is a turn to the right under the flyover to go to Wai. The road is pretty much straight from there. You ll pass thru the Wai village keep going straight and in around 20-30 kms you ll reach the first ghat which is an upward winding road. The ghat as such is not a tough one but the heavy vehicles traffic can be a major pain and risky as well. Once you are thru with this ghat. Keep moving ahead. I dont remember if we took any more turns but what you can ask for directions is the way to Pasarni ghat. From there its pretty much straight. On the way back you ll have to take the Pasarni ghat again, but the road is different and you ll pass thru a very narrow tunnel which will effectively mean that you miss the first ghat on your way to Mahabaleshwar. So on the way to Mahabaleshwar you go thru 2 ghats , but on the way back there is just 1.

I know the directions are not so specific so apologies for the same but hope it helps.
  9. MihirC

MihirC Amatore

Mumbai
    4.5 K for 2 bumpers????? Thats surprising. What car do you have the Linea, Punto or Palio, Also my cars colour is Electric Blue, whats the colour of your Car??
  10. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Congrats Mihir for the Great car, Do post the pictures with both the head Turners together, Right said we dont care for the plastics and it is not so very cheap its marginally okay, But the safe you feel cruising in it thats the main thing.
    Drive safe