1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Electric Blue 1.4E+ Grande Punto, christened as Trinity.

Discussion in 'Punto 1.4 Fire' started by MihirC, Dec 30, 2010.

1. MihirC

MihirC Amatore

Mumbai
    Re: My Electric Blue 1.4E+ Grande Punto, christened as Trini

Actually I wanted to go for a med grey or the dark grey colour but seeing the car in person , I realised this looks the best and striking on the Punto, thats IMHO.

Well Im hoping the FE will increase as the car clocks more kms and after the first 2 services.To be honest I didnt buy the car keeping the FE in mind. But if Im getting a good FE then why not drive acccordingly.Havent got a chance to go thru all the manuals need to study them, I dont even know how to reset the trip meter or how to use it.Its really embarassing.

Wish you the same mate. Thanks.
  2. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore

Yes I personally believe Blue is the Best :) ... I didnt have that as an option..
  3. MihirC

MihirC Amatore

Mumbai

Thanks Vasudev. The EB was discontinued on the Punto but I was lucky enough to find one in stock. and now that I have clocked a 1000kms on it,, wel almost the colour just grows on you.
  4. MihirC

MihirC Amatore

Mumbai
    Trinitys first long trip, 992kms update

Hi guys,

Last week end I got a chance to take the Punto(Trinity) out for her first long drive. We had decided to spend the weekend at my friends farm house at pali. We started of at 9 pm from panvel and soon were on the express way. I was trying to convince myself hard to remain below the 2500 to 3000 rpm range but with the big open expressway and the italian engine roaring below the hood , I let down my inhibitions. Saw a nice long stretch of open road and gently accelerated without looking at the tachometer :mrgreen: didnt want to feel guilty later. Saw the seepdometer picking up till 100 for the first time and I was like :devilface pushed on the pedal further and in no timee I was cruising effortlessly at 140km/hr.

I know most of you must have experienced this before but the car didnt feel as if it was cruising at 140, felt as if it was merely 11 on the speedo. No vibrations in the chassis, no loss of composure, minimal body roll. The only thing was there was some amount of vibrations in the steering. Is that normal?

Glanced on the tacho by mistake to see the needle sitting snugly at 4500 rpm. It was hardly a 2-3 minute stretch but felt insanely awesome. Let go of the accelerator a bit and then cruised comfortably at 120 with no hint of nervousness in the car , the driver and the passengers.

One thing which I observed was even at 140 the engine had enough juice left to go atleast till 160-170. Didnt push my luck so far though. We took the khopoli exit just after the first toll and then started the 20 kms journey of winding roads and trinity held her own perfectly even on those winding roads. I mean I could stick to my lane even at 80-90 on the gently curving roads. Thats something I could never do on my zen. In the Zen every turning meant change of lanes to match the speed of the car and the curve of the road.

Got an I/c of 10km/ltr when cruising at 140 other wise it was somewhere between 18-22km/ltr.

The only drawback which I realised was that the gears were not slotting in smoothly quite a few times. It felt as if I was forcing the gear to shift even when it didnt want to. It felt as if Im moving a stick thru a bed of stones.Happened mostly while starting of from the first gear and observed in the 3rd and 4th gear as well. Although I have driven quite a bit I still made sure that the clutch was completely depresses and I was slotting it properly but it still kept recurring. The other time it slotted with a very smooth click.

Can anyone please tell me why this happens? Am I doing something wrong , will it damage the gear box?

There was this small incident where the car in front shot of a stone from below its tyres which hit the front bumper of the car scratching it , the colour was peeled off in that area. Hopefully it will be taken care of in the first service.

The odo now stands at 992kms in just 24 days. All in all very happy with the car. Cant wait to take her out on a long drive again. A trip to alibag in Feb is scheduled already, but will see if I can squeeze in one more small trip in between. :devil
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

@MihirC- The gear shifts are a bit like that initially. They will become smoother after around 2500Km. Treat them well until them. They will adapt to your shifting pattern and will start following that particular track for best shifts.
  6. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2

Right side by paddleshifter, you will be used to it, but cannot get close to zen on the curves thats for sure,
    Lemme tell,
    i had been to nashik church on my way back, i was giving Honda City a toufgh time, on the curves the city used to slow down but i was more comfortable in my punto, but on a long stretch the city overtook me, but noticed the same car at the Restaurant where we also halted for snack, the driver of honda city came to me and asked me the CC of the car and requested to have a look at the interior of the car, I could read his face he was admiring the car.
  7. MihirC

MihirC Amatore

Mumbai

Thanks Paddle, I just hope they become smoother and not grainy and rough once the engine opens up. To be honest the Polo has one of the best gear boxes I ve seen this side of 10 L . Thats the only thing I miss in both my Punto and Linea. Polo gearbox is just way to crisp man. Have you tried it out?
  8. MihirC

MihirC Amatore

Mumbai

Was this the ANHC or the OHC? Thats a real good compliment from a guy owining an Honda. :) Well even I ve experienced the same, even between 120-140 the car never made me nervous on the turns or if I was required to weave thru cars for a bit, especially those who drive consistently at 80km/hr on the express way which is the legal way to do it, but they do soo in the overtaking/fast lane which can be an irritant..
  9. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2

Mihir it was a ANHC, The Punto is a head turner in traffic lights, i can see that the people admirring the car at the stop light, Or you can say, atleast once they will turn their head towards the Punto. Which makes me feel proud.
  10. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

I did not even check out the Polo after seeing the cabin space of my friend's Polo and the equipment offered. This is that Polo (comfortline variant).
    [attachment=0:12jynxnx]Photo-0543.jpg[/attachment:12jynxnx]

Forget Polo, even i20 has a very crisp butter smooth gear box and a wonderful music system but it has poor handling and ride quality as compared to Polo and Punto.

Photo-0543.jpg