1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Diesel Weasel - Exotica Red Punto EVO - 1.3MJD Emotion

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Anand Shankar, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Anand Shankar

Anand Shankar Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Reporting some niggles :

1. Front wiper was hitting the rubber shrouds at the corner where the windscreen and the fender meet. KHT fixed it by doing some Jugaad. Now I have a new issue, the Wiper when switched to the continuous mode (2nd speed) makes a weird jump while it hits the lowest position before returning up. I guess I need to be more firm with the SVC center folks. While fixing the first issue the wiper arm was laid on the floor, while a few walking by kicked it around. I kept quite only because it was my first visit there and dint want to leave a sour note.

2. Another wiper issue, the rear washer stopped functioning, just like that! when I hit the washer function I can hear the motor whining, but no spray, hoping this is some minor issue.

3. The rear wipers plastic shroud is broken, reported to KHT, the SA suggests I buy a new one. I reply with a stare, he thinks for a while and then clicks pics for warranty replacement. If they reject it when I go there next week, then few of them are going to go back home with broken noses!

4. Rear hatch doesn't close properly, need to slam it a few times, which is root cause for problem # 3. The Mech fiddled with it, said its better, and he will correct it fully during the 5K checkup. I find its in the same situation, will wait for 5K service.

5. The corner part of the dash near the glass is a separate piece. It fits flush on the left side, but right side is sticking out by a few millimeters. This isn't a big deal, but I want to get to the bottom of this.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  2. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    For point 1 - 3 it should be covered in warranty. Get the blades replaced and do not hesitate to tell the GM about the incident of people kicking the wiper. Reason enough for them to give you a new one. usually they have CCTV in service center, am sure this would have been caught on camera.

Point 4 - What is the real cause of this ? Happened to a friends Punto Dynamic and they changed the lock system on the boot door under warranty. Also his boot door was misaligned and they had to work hard to fix it.

Point 5 - Would be helpful if you can post pic of of the same. A few mms might not be fixable. If its not much leave it as is. Never know what else crops up if FASS tries to open the Dashboard to fix it.

As a rule don't buy this logic " will do in next service " Its their job to do it and thats what we pay for. Not my job to keep coming to the service center to get things fixed is what i had told the GM once and they dont tell me come later now
    Amit Rox likes this.
  3. Anand Shankar

Anand Shankar Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    I have reported this to the SA, waiting to see what they would do. For issue # 1 I hope they dont run the wiper dry too long to find the root cause!

The last visit did not fix the issue, I have left the car for 5K kms service today. It feels like a misaligned lock or a protruding rubber bushes. Will update tomorrow on what happens.

I have ignored this issue, and infact hid this from the SA! Last time around they were using really crude methods to get the part loose I was worried they might end up damaging something else like the Temp sensor or something. Its very minor and not visible to the common eye. Will post a pic though.

I agree, I returned only because it was a casual visit, and I had to go back for the 5K service soon.

I left the car for its 5K service today, the KHT ASS supposedly the best in BLR, looks like a neighborhood garage at its best. I'm really worried how they will handle the car, I am thinking of not reporting minor niggles and getting them fixed at Bosch / First Choice or Popular Automech. The Service Center looks thoroughly unprofessional, its not even well lit or ventilated properly! My other usual hangout is Nandi Toyota in ORR, I am not even going to compare here. I hope they prove me wrong and show some quality in their work.
    kunwar.g likes this.
  4. Anand Shankar

Anand Shankar Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Received the Car back from service, not bad as I feared initially. All issues fixed expect the rear broken wiper. KHT says Fiat refused the warranty claim on that. I have asked them to resend the request copying me this time. No new scratches or anything, but some extra stains on the beige, no worries though.

Total Cost of service : 1240/-
  5. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If there are stains ask them to do free dry cleaning. I have got that done 2 times already :). But they would do only on the area around the stains and not the whole car
    Anand Shankar likes this.
  6. Anand Shankar

Anand Shankar Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    A Pic from my recent trip to Chikmagalur:

IMAG0637_1.jpg

I am getting overall mileage of 16.55kmpl. 70% highway 30% city, 99% with AC. 10% of that Highways is ghat Sections. City driving was mostly B-B traffic in BLR. I have a feeling that the mileage is a tad low, was expecting over 18kmpl in mixed conditions.

Couple of times, in the ghats/twisties drove with the windows rolled down, there is a pronounced turbo whistle post 1850RPM, guessing its normal ? Haven't observed before so felt strange.

Screenshot_2015-10-22-00-26-10.png
    Raaz likes this.
  7. Anand Shankar

Anand Shankar Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Guys, my Evo has clocked close to 8.5K kms, the engine has started to feel a bit grumpy, was thinking to changing the engine oil. I usually change earlier than the suggested interval, in Fiats case since the svc interval is 15K which I feel is a bit over strecthed, I though I will change oil + filters mid way at 7.5kms and then stick to the 15K service interval. What do you guys think ? is it good or is it overkill ?

I was looking at Shell Engine Oils, Helix Ultra is priced at 5.4K!!!! the next option was a Semi-Synth oil which was 1650Rs. Hows the Selenia while compared Shells and the Mobils ?
    Raaz likes this.
  8. Raaz

Raaz Amatore

Andhra Pradesh
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    I think there should be a first free service at 5k. Usually they suggest to top-up at that time. But, please change the complete engine oil rather than just top-up. Until your warranty period is over, please follow the oils that Fiat suggests.

All the best. :)
  9. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Did you change oil at 5K km or just did top up ? If haven't changed, then DO CHANGE it now. I had changed oil at 5K and then at 15K. Going forward am myself going to maintain at every 7.5K

I completely agree with changing the Selenia at 7.5K km. That ways every alternate change will fall at 15K km which is in sync with Fiat recommended. Change the oil filter and oil. Inspect and clean or change the air filter at 7.5K km. Clean AC filter at 7.5K.

Stick with Selenia till your car is in warranty. Changing to non-selenia at 7.5K and then to Selenia at 15K will not be good IMO.
    Anand Shankar and Raaz like this.
  10. Anand Shankar

Anand Shankar Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Thanks for the response guys.

They only topped up in the 5K kms service. I will change it right away.

I am assuming, i need to change the Oil along with the Oil Filter + Fuel filter + Air Filter set. right ? anything to add or delete ?

Also, please forgive me for being lazy and not checking in the User Manual, but what is the exact Engine Oil Refill volume ? is it 4.3L ?
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 19, 2015 ---
    **Update**

Just checked 99rpm.com, the fuel filter is Rs.1775/- guess no need to change that till 1st Service then :D
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    Raaz likes this.