1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Diesel Weasel - Exotica Red Punto EVO - 1.3MJD Emotion

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Anand Shankar, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Ravi Varma

Ravi Varma Novizio

Pune
    Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Congrats Anand. Nice writeup; the pictures are missing though :) Regarding the sound when slotting into reverse gear, I read that it's common for the reverse gear to not slot properly. The manual says that we need to depress the clutch for about 5 sec before attempting to put it in reverse. I tried it and it actually works.
    Anand Shankar and prabhjot like this.
  2. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Congratulations Anand !!!.

Welcome to the club and Iam sure you will love your ride with every mile passing by.

Offtopic : Our Key chains are identical & truly justifies why you buy a FIAT :).

Pic below from my ownership thread.

live-to-drive-jpg.77526.jpg
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    Anand Shankar likes this.
  3. kishorekrs

kishorekrs Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Congratulations on your new buy mate!! Nice writeup. Well punto evo in red is one hot hatch!! I too own the same. The negatives what you have mentioned is rather subjective buddy. Coz in less than 3 months have done approx 4k on odo. As we spend more time with it everything will get used to it. Initially felt headlights as inadequate but now have got adjusted to it. About mileage..I'll always drive with 100% ac. With that I get 13 kmpl in city & 21 kmpl on highway with 120 kmph speed. Its really a bliss to drive around in highway. As far as ergonomics are concerned I am 5.9 inches still finding correct position to drive!! Barring few its really a gem of a car. Congrats once again..

Happy motoring mate!!
    Turbothinghy, Ravi Varma and prabhjot like this.
  4. Anand Shankar

Anand Shankar Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Thanks Ravi, The noise happened only once, now I make it a point to fully disengage the clutch before slotting. Haven't heard any sounds apart from a faint 'click' sound while engaging the clutch. Seems ok now :)

Thanks buddy, for a sec I thought you tagged my pic, then saw your comment :D

Thanks Kishore, I know buddy, red just grabs attention on the road. Some negatives, I was just nitpicking, few aren't exactly negatives, I should have listed them as 'things that could have been better'. But I will never forgive Fiat for giving just one bottle holder and no place to keep a 5" mobile :grumpy:

As far as the seating position goes, I have managed to find that right spot now w.r.t to seat ht vs travel vs steering, and am comfortable now. I am 6'3, so I don't fit properly in most cars so I dont expect a 100% fit here too, but Punto seems to be one of the better places to be in. Only downside, the person sitting behind me has to be sub 5ft. I did a BLR-MAS-BLR trip on Tuesday, I walked back without an inch of Fatigue I wasn't even looking tired.

Mileage, I managed only 18.5kmpl on the 700km trip, driving mostly between 90-110kmph, but I am getting over 14.5 in city. May be my petrol biased driving style is to blame.
    Turbothinghy, prabhjot and kishorekrs like this.
  5. aramico

aramico Amatore

KA 51 / KA 31
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Congrats @Anand Shankar .. Welcome to Fiat family. Great choice. Car looks smashing in red. Mileage will improve slightly post 5K. Ejoy the drive. I do own a black EVO 90HP. It is really fun to drive on highway.
    Turbothinghy and Anand Shankar like this.
  6. kishorekrs

kishorekrs Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    As it ages slowly the mileage would also change buddy. Well my maiden trip happened at around 900 kms on odo. The round trip ended at 1000 kms approx, during which I got incredible mileage of 24 kmpl. I have written on my travelogue too. Its really a ultimate machine. If handled precisely can get anything what we wish for either power or mileage.
    prabhjot and Anand Shankar like this.
  7. Anand Shankar

Anand Shankar Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Stopped by 3M Car Care Store, came out a lot poorer than I expected
    CR70 Installed
    3M Nomad mats installed
    Foam wash

Apart from this got the magnetic window curtains of real good quality, another dent in the wallet!

Done with add-ons for now.

Might add Auto Dimming IVRM later, one is available on Aliexpress for $70.oo but not sure of the mounting brackets.

Also, saw a Jetta with a mobile mount that fits to the CD slot of the music system, thats an amazing product. Unable to find the same Belkin model, but I did find another brand on Amazon.com, Good use for the other wise useless CD Slot, here is a pic

CD Mount.JPG
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 27, 2015 ---
    o
    Ok, I am heading to Chennai again tomorrow morning, will keep a keen eye on the RPMs I shift at. I guess last time around I kept the RPM below the Turbo range for a considerable amount of time. Current ODO reading is 1500 odd.
  8. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Please do share the cost of each of the above upgrades.

How much of a difference does the sunfilm really make? Installed only on windscreen or all over?

Last but not least. Pics of mats, film, magnetic curtains plz.
    Anand Shankar likes this.
  9. Anand Shankar

Anand Shankar Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Hi Kunwar, I installed the CR 70 only on the front screen. For the sides installed local ones (supposedly Blaupunkt) and bought the magnetic curtains. The difference well not drastic. But the oncoming high beams don't blind you. You can still see the road ahead. And it does reject heat to a certain extent, not sure if it does the 75% as claimed but 50% for sure. Will update as i observe more.

Cost :

CR70. - 7.2k (it's a bit overpriced according to me)
    Nomad mats - 6k
    Magnetic Curtains - 2.5k

Will post pics in a day or 2.

Current odo reading stands at 2.3k, avg economy is 16.5kmpl
    kunwar.g and PradeepM like this.
  10. Esakki Sundar

Esakki Sundar Amatore

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Anand Shankar , Congrats on owning one of the best. Every mile you drive is going to give you a pleasure. Upgrade to 100/90 with a relay kit. You will see a huge difference and the warranty wont be void. The safety, stability and comfort are what FIAT's are worth the money. No other car matches it. Once a FIAT, always a FIAT.
    PradeepM likes this.