1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Diesel Weasel - Exotica Red Punto EVO - 1.3MJD Emotion

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Anand Shankar, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Anand Shankar

Anand Shankar Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3

thinking back, small regret not taking the 90HP :(

Buddy, what about the headlights, have you upgraded ? I found it to be absolutely inadequate on highway drives, any suggestions ?
  2. FiatFreedom

FiatFreedom Timido

chennai/Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Congrats Anand Shankar :happy:

The car looks Amazing in Red, looking at the pics I assume you got the car delivered from the Fiat showroom near Graphite signal :)
    wish you Many more Years and Miles of Happy motoring!!!
    Anand Shankar likes this.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Unless the vehicle on opposite side doesnt switch to low beam till then our headlights are always inadequate.Same with my 100/90 setup too, the only reason to have this set-up is too show that, my car also have strong high beam with high intensity.
    My highway drives are mostly in night.In your case,better to stay away from the electrical mods ,given the consideration of void of warranty, instead try with change of bulbs.
  4. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Bro I have never felt that the headlights are inadequate. I do agree that the low beam isn't very strong and one needs to switch between low and high beam on highways, but except that I guess it's adequate.
  5. Anand Shankar

Anand Shankar Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Thanks mate, yes, I got it from KHT near Graphite India.

Hmm, so switching to 100/90 will get me into issues with warranty ?

I was on the airport road last weekend, it was slightly drizzling, and even though the oncoming vehicles were not too bright I still felt I was unable to see much in front. Haven't ventured out in the dark much, will check again.

And, I just came back from a drive to Chennai, I now understand why 90HP is recommended by many for the Highways. Not that the 75Hp isnt strong out there, but 90 would have been better I guess :D

Have a few questions:

I got an avg of 18.5kmpl with 90% a.c. and about 50 kms of B2B traffic in Chennai, will that figure improve with more kms on the ODO ? Or is that pretty much the average figure?

I found that on 5th gear I hardly notice any Turbo surge, though there is adequate power. Is that Normal, too linear ?

On a open free stretch, I could push the car to about 130kmph without any aggressive shifting Upshifting (2.5K RPM or earlier), whats the usual top whack you guys are seeing ? whats the Ideal up shift RPM ?

Note:
    By the way, bad roads alert! After Vellore, till Chennai, the roads are bad, with a lot of patches, and uneven surfaces created by heavy trucks and mid size potholes. To Top it, NHAI, believes that we need to pay to drive on such pathetic surfaces. My friend from Chennai says its due to the heavy Metro construction equipment being moved in day and night from Wallajahpet.
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Anand Shankar

The main difference between 90 hp and 75 hp is after 3000 RPM. 90 HP still has a lot of steam left after 3000 RPM, whereas 75 HP doesnt have a lot of offer post 3000 RPM.

For normal city driving, I upshift from 2nd to 3rd @ 2000 RPM and from 3rd onwards @ 2000-2500 RPM depending on the situation.

For aggressive driving, specially on a highway, I upshift a little later, somewhere around 2700-3000 RPM (3rd onwards), as I can maintain a higher speed on te highway, which isnt possible in city conditions.

At ghat sections/steep inclines I upshift around 3000 RPM so as to maintain the momentum and try to be in the turbo band.
    prabhjot and Deepak like this.
  7. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Not if you use a good wiring kit. This will ensure that there is no cutting of any wire that is required. Only thing is that the rubber cap to seal the headlight will need to have a small cut and then you will need to ensure that you tape the area and the rubber cap, so that dust and moisture does not go in. I have the same on my Punto and the GM of the FASS I go to knows about it too. No issues with warranty.
    prabhjot and Anand Shankar like this.
  8. Anand Shankar

Anand Shankar Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Hmm, in case I choose the 60/55 Philips XV, that would be a direct fit, right ? The issue is I find the stock bulbs pretty average on top of it, I am planning to install CR70 for the front screen. I am sure that would reduce the visibility by a minor margin, hence looking for the upgrade.

Also, a pic from todays MAS-BLR drive :)

B612-2015-08-26-13-36-17_1861861504.jpg
  9. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Any H4 bulb with 55/60 rating will be a direct fit. I did install Philips XV on the same day of delivery or the day after, but then after moving to 90/100 can't dream of going back to 55/60W bulbs. Plus the cost of moving to 90/100 is almost same as the cost of the XV :)
    Anand Shankar likes this.
  10. Anand Shankar

Anand Shankar Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Ok. I also see a Philips relay available. Will check out the visibility after the CR70 install and take a call.

Thanks guys for your suggestions. :)