1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My Cheetah, My Canary Yellow Palio 1.6 Sports

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by mchanna, Dec 10, 2013.

1. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

I was silent admirer of FIATs (1100, UNO, 118NE)
    None from our family had any cars but still, everytime I look at those beauties, I used to get some kind of happiness.
    I even did not know they are all belongs to FIAT family.

There were many email groups in the company Puzzles, ICE, BuySell, trecking, Photography, Movies, Automobiles many more you name it you have it.
    I have subscribed for Automobiles as one of them.

One day there was a post saying a Fern Green Palio 28K run 2003 model GTX is on sale @SB Road for 2.25Lakhs.
    I thought of giving a try! So asked one my experience friend to check the vehicle.
    He happily accompanied. We reached the dealers place.
    Till then I never drove any vehicle, I just had my license from driving school and had only 10Hrs of driving experience that to Santro ZipDrive.

My friend (he was owning a honda) took the Keys and we had a nice 10-15ks run. After he returned he just said "It is Awesome, just close the deal"
    Now my hands started itching to get on the wheel. I asked him with a low not so very confidant voice "Shall I?". And thats is "LOVE Story" started.

Its a time to convince back at home that I am planing to buy a second car. To my expectation no one agreed. They insisted to go for a new car.
    It was all in the month of Aug.

Now the hunt and research started with a budget range of 5L.
    Almost 99.9% friends/relatives said BIG NO to FIAT. To add to it FIAT announced it is stopping the manufacturing of Palio nv varients :-(
    Standard comments
    Why FIAT???
    No Resale!!! (Who cares?? and Who wants to sell it?)
    No after sales (Lets see)
    No spare parts (Lets see)
    Look from the back it is so ugly (You dumbo Palio carrys the look from the back, it is the most beautifully designed part)

I took test drive of newly launched Swift, Esteem, Chevy AVEO & SRT, Ford Icon, Tata Indigo.
    Liked Icon but what to do already fell for Palio.

Every day I used to compare the specs of Palio with all other cars no matter what segment. Finally locked on Palio 1.6 Sports Canary Yellow!!

Every weekend I had to visit all the FIAT showrooms enquiring the Palio.
    Some has RED some has 1.2 Sports some has Adventure some has Petra. But no one has C.Yellow Palio 1.6 Sports.
    In Sep 2006 approached Pandit, they said we have it (probably thinking they can push the Red palio at the end).
    Gave 20K and booked C.Yellow Palio (1L discount 4.8OTR).

Most difficult part of life is waiting for something that you love the most.
    Day converted to weeks, weeks converted to month. No news from Pandit.

One fine day in Nov I called up the SA to hear the bad news "Sir company stopped manufacturing the C.Yellow"
    I never lost my temper till that date. Blasted him like anything. I just said do whatever you want but I need C.Yellow color Palio.
    2Days after he called me and gave me Mangesh's No. Now its mangesh's turn to hear from me :)

Poor fellow listened to all my crap and said "Sir, will try to get you the color you want", I jumped a feet from my seat but settled immediately when he said "nothing before Feb from the new ranjangaon plant"

Another 3months of waiting :eek:

DEC, JAN went like 2 years, but then came FEB still no news from Mangesh/SA.

Booking the palio itself proved lucky to me FEB 14 I got engaged!! so I didnt even know when MARCH hit the calender.
    Meantime I got a call from Mangesh and confirmed my car is in production line and will be delivered in 3rd week of March.
    I felt very proud when he said "Sir your is one of the first 2 cars coming out from the Ranjangaon production line"

My happy mood got more happy with this news. I started preparing myself for the Palio.
    To my surprise Pandit SA called me and confirmed that car is ready for delivery and I can come and collect the car anytime.
    I was on cloud 9

16th March 2007 is the date confirmed after checking with family and auspicious day blah blah blah. If allowed I would have picked it from plant itself.

Loaded my camera and packed a KG of sweets, called my colleague drive directly to Pandit Tilak Road.
    Here is the first look

At home : For the first 15 days I have spent more time in car than home :)
    Friends all started calling me mad. But Who cares when you are in love "Love is Blind"
    DSC02856.jpg DSC02862.jpg DSC02878.JPG DSC02881.jpg

Palios first meet with cousins
    DSC02919.jpg DSC02923.jpg DSC02925.jpg DSC02926.jpg

Took the beauty all around pune
    IMG_0063_mOD.jpg IMG_0191.jpg IMG_0533(1).jpg IMG_1112.jpg IMG_1115.jpg IMG_1224.jpg IMG_1229.jpg IMG_2235(1).jpg IMG_2296_1(1).jpg IMG_3826.jpg

Become chariot in my marriage!!!

Odo : ~16K
    2008 Unfortunately I have to go onsite for undefined period of time :( everyone was insisting to sell the car and go.
    Somehow I could not convince myself to sell it so decided to leave it at my in-law's place and requested to drive it for 10-20 kms every week.
    My inlaws were kind enough to take care of my baby (why not I was taking care of theirs ;))

Odo : 30K
    I returned in 2011 and my yellow baby was all mine :)
    Comparing 2007 and 2012 pics - Find the difference

Mera No 1

Got new Shoes MRF ZLO 195/60/14
    IMG_3322.jpg IMG_3324.jpg IMG_3326.jpg

worshiped all the time for taking care of me and my family
    IMG_0643.jpg IMG_3816.jpg

Mods : None
    ICE : Kenwood HU, front JBL Comp, Rear 6X9 JBL Co-Axial
    Accidents :
    1. My Sister in law banged the divider, Radiator and front bumper replaced

Mechanicals Changed:
    1. Clutch master/slave cylinders changed due to leakage (donno the reason)
    2. Undergoing clutch replacements at sky moto
    3. Next year will be changing all the belts

Current Odo : 49567

How do you feel:
    > A thud sound gives confidence, feels safe.
    > 3 Stage door is so safe for kids.
    > Even my friends who look at my car today don't say any words.
    > Truly neighbors envy!
    > First time everyone hated that color for being noticed everywhere. Now every one loves that color for being exclusive
    > It is one of the best car to drive! Driving Nirvana! Countless times I took it for a drive whenever I was down and returned with a wide grin!
    > Zero maintenance, only oil change every 7500 KMs or 6 months
    > Guts of taking any one on road and off road

5 Trips - Lonavla Khandala
    2 Trips - Mahabaleshwar
    7 Trips to Native - 400KMS one way
    5-6 Trips to My sister's place - 200KMS one way
    2 trips to Hyderabad from Native - 200KMS oneway
    1 Trip to Murud-Janjira
    1 Trip to Dapoli

Max : 165+ Palio 1.6 16V Sports - Touched 165+ - YouTube
    Mileage : 11-12 in city (consistently), >16 on highway if driven within 90-110, >110 13-14 (all with 100% AC on)

Notes of Appreciation:
    PUG - Palio Users Group for boosting my confidence and explaining the strong points of PALIO
    My Family who gave me the freedom to choose what I want to choose.
    All friends who said NO - I have a bad habit of doing something unusual and listening to my own voice.
    All friends who supported
    Special thanks to Sameer Ajgaonkar and Mangesh.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

I envy your love. Fantastic association with the Palio. The colour on the car is an eye catching one. Good to see that you have maintained it so well. Well cant call it cheetah though, looks more docile to me.

All the best, hope the Palio serves you well forever. Happy many more satisfying mile crunching and drive safely.
    2 people like this.
  3. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Thats one of the best review I ever read Channa.

I like your car and the way you maintained it. Take care of her and do let me if you are planning to sell in near future. :)

Sent from my FIAT Grande Punto 90hp
    1 person likes this.
  4. ashish.r.shinde@gmail.com

ashish.r.shinde@gmail.com Amatore

Vadodara , Nashik
    Vadodara , Nashik
    Grande Punto 1.3
    very well maintained palio channa.. looks stunning and beautiful

- - - Merged Post - - -

"Sir your is one of the first 2 cars coming out from the Ranjangaon production line"

Really this should be one of the proud feeling for any owner of FIAT... whose car is the first to get manufactured ...:up
    1 person likes this.
  5. MakeTheMove

MakeTheMove Regolare

Linea T-Jet
    Excellent write up Channa! You have really maintained it well.

Now a days, how do you choose between T-Jet and Palio Sports 1.6? Which one brings wide grin? :-D
    1 person likes this.
  6. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Thanks guys, yes there is a some kind of undetachable relation associated with Palio I don't know what is that called.
    In 2011 when there was an offer for T-Jet with whopping 1L exchange discount, I almost traded.
    Practically I was getting 2L for my Palio. For any thoughtful person it would be a steal deal! As in the current days palios are traded for <80K.

But it was a very last minute recall that NO I'll not be parting with this cutie.

Thats where the used T-Jet hunt started and finally got home one couple of months back (http://www.teamfiat.co.in/linea-1-4-t-jet/10864-deal-week-t-jet-sunbeam-beige.html)
    Here are pics of my Proud possession!

7. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Loved to read your love story Mr.Richie Rich ;-)

I wish... your love story continues life long and you take care of her forever as you have been till now... Hope both of you will be together life long and accompany each other to ice cream parlors.... hahahaha.

Party to banti hay boss... Chalo Naturals :D

Cheers... :up

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. dnyanesh666

That would really make a fantastic love story in a movie if the girl were to be replaced by the Palio.
    And she is very well taken care of as well.
    1 person likes this.
  9. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Neel bhai, Anytime for you sir, just gimme a ring when you are in pune will have a bash!

Thanks Dnyanesh :)
    We care for the one who cares for us. Nothing different for the Palio, She indeed taken care of me and my family!
    1 person likes this.
  10. shams

shams Esperto

mchanna, one interesting piece of information from your first post is that :
    Once upon a time in India, people used to book a Fiat and wait for it for more than six months ;);)!
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    3 people like this.