1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

MY 2nd PUNTOUR TO THE HIMALAYA & DOOARS.

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by sandipan_r15, May 19, 2013.

1. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Notwithstanding the problems, SH 7 is many times better than NH 34. I simply did not want to drive back on NH 34 in the return journey.
  2. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Agreed,and that's why I took SH7 on both ways.
  3. vaibhavc

vaibhavc Amatore

Goa
    Nice photographs sandipan r15!
  4. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    DAY2///26/05/2013///ROUTE-->RAIGANJ-DALKHOLA-BAGDOGRA-MIRIK///km--216.5///avg kmpl--12.8 Started a bit late(8:00am).Raiganj to Dalkhola stretch of NH34 is in a horrible condition.We tried our best to travel at the fastest possible speed.NH-31(DALKHOLA to SILIGURI stretch) is as usual good.Reached MIRIK @14:30 hrs(the hotel we had our lunch wasted more than an hour).Roads in the hill is in very good condition and we reached MIRIK without any problem.Stay was at SADVAWANA hotel.Again very poor mileage and I was extremely worried.Though very bad road(NH34),consistant high speed driving(120+AC/NH31),ascending hill road(BAGDOGRA TO MIRIK),but still I expected better mileage than this. PICS OF DAY2------ DSCF0088.jpg TEA ESTATE(TE) BESIDE NH31 DSCF0090.jpg TEA ESTATE(TE) BESIDE NH31 DSCF0091.jpg TE DSCF0099.jpg WAY TO MIRIK DSCF0104.jpg MANGO IS EVERYWHERE DSCF0107.jpg WAY TO MIRIK DSCF0111.jpg MY RITZfriend & HIS DAUGHTER. DSCF0079.jpg NH34 DSCF0082.jpg DSCF0085.jpg NH31 DSCF0086.jpg TE DSCF0087.jpg TE
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
    2 people like this.
  5. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    More pics(shot by my son) of DAY2---- P1070487.jpg WAY TO MIRIK P1070540.jpg I LIKE DOGS(MIRIK) P1070561.jpg MAY ONE DAY TFI WOULD ACHIEVE YOURS GREATNESS-- P1070551.jpg MIRIK HELIPAD P1070556.jpg MIRIK HELIPAD P1070560.jpg MIRIK TOWN AT THE BACKGROUND P1070550.jpg ME & MY PUNTO P1070528.jpg MIRIK LAKESIDE--CLOUD,CLOUD EVERYWHERE P1070512.jpg RED POPPY(POPPY PLANTATION IS BANNED IN WB)BESIDE MIRIK LAKE P1070515.jpg MIRIK LAKE
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
    3 people like this.
  6. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Congratulations on your safe journey sandipan da. went with Naveendu da? Then sure it would have been a very nice competitive drive:car. So what was the travel time for 503 kms? Please post pics of your punto in the rain.
    1 person likes this.
  7. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I did not record the travel time but the place called KALIACHAK(in MALDA district--notorious for horrific traffic jams)spoilt @ 2 hours and we missed our target of SILIGURI. Reached RAIGANJ @ 17:00 Hrs---about 12 hours all inclusive.
  8. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    DAY3///27.05.2013///MIRIK to PELING///ROUTE--->MIRIK--SIMANA--GHOOM--LAMAHATA--TISTABAZAR--MELLI--JORETHANG--LEGSHIP--GEYZING--PELING/// TOTAL DISTANCE--148.5km///Avg--12.8 kmpl A mixed day overall.Mirik experienced heavy rain with thunder last night and we were a bit shaky fearing landslide but luckily no such thing happened. We started early--and reached Simana without any problem.The route is beautiful with TE(tea estate) on both side of the roads .We were lucky to had a view of KANCHAJANGHA from SIMANA.Simana is a place of WB bordering NEPAL. Took a break at Simana and reached GHOOM and took the road to TISTABAZAR.The scene immediately changed as we took the diversion from Ghoom towards Tistabazar road.Ghoom is a town with all sorts of vehicles & shops.But the TISTA bazar road greeted us with lush greenery on bothside of the road.And we enjoyed the beauty of the road to the fullest upto Lamahata.It is a tourist place which has been developed recently with the help of WB forest dept. after honourable WB cm MAMATA BANERJI showed her interest to develop the place as a tourist spot.Had our lunch at LAMAHATA and started towards TISTABAZAR---and it was a all sharp down affair from @6500 ft to @ 1200ft---continuously smelt the overheated brakes.Anyway reached TISTBAZAR .Encountered a small traffic jam at MELLI and entered SIKKIM(for the first time) crossing TISTA.The SIKKIM police posted at the entry point just asked from where we had come and where would we go--and here came the state of SIKKIM.The road condition changed immediately.Roads in WB were pretty good(if not excellent) in the hills but it's a completely diff. pic in SIKKIM .Roads are in a very poor condition.Roads are not at all well mentained,narrow(almost single laner in many places) with little or no guard on the river(GREAT RANGIT)side---and we were on that side.Road widening work was in progress at many places and that made the thing worse.After Jorethang to Legship the road was pretty good and we made up some time which we lost upto JORETHANG due to bad road.But the road again worsened from LEGSHIP---and it the road started climbing from LEGSHIP. Continued driving nonstop and reached PELING just before sunset.This was my third time in PELING and I was surprised to see the increase in No of hotels---hotel hotel everywhere.Took some time to search hotel(no where our hotel were prebooked)and got KANCHANJANGHA facing room @1500/- ----Hotel Window Park.Will post the rest part later.THANKS.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  9. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Initially we had a plan to halt two days in Peling.But the power cut, scarcity of water and huge tourist rush forced our decision to stay at Peling for just one day.We decided to leave Peling the very next day.Took some feedback and got the information that the road towards KHECHIPERI lake is in very poor condition.So we decided to cover THANGE falls,SINSORE bridge & UTTARE(the picturesque last village in west Sikkim towards NEPAL) the next day(28/05/2013).Road condition on that side was in relatively good condition as it was known locally.
  10. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Some pics of day 3----- DSCF0119.jpg ENROUTE SIMANA FROM MIRIK DSCF0120.jpg ENROUTE SIMANA FROM MIRIK DSCF0127.jpg DSCF0137.jpg VIEW FROM SIMANA DSCF0142.jpg SIMANA DSCF0143.jpg ALTI READING AT SIMANA DSCF0144.jpg VIEW FROM SIMANA
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013