1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My 2012 BNW Fiat Grande Punto Dynamic

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by sanjeevskartha, Aug 16, 2012.

1. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    8.8kmpl from a MJD with AC on in hardcore city driving is impossible. There is something wrong with your car.

Once I drove from Kharghar to Andheri, a distance of roughly 40-45kms which took me about 5 hours due to heavy traffic jam from Bandra to Andheri. I had to idle the car with ACC running for as long as 20-25 minutes many times. The mileage I got was 11kmpl.
  2. I have driven 307km as of now. No long trips, mostly daily office commutes. Now that you guys mention it, in my K10 I used to have fun revving hard while driving. It would shoot forward like a bullet. Have not consciously tried this till now in my Punto till now. But driving style might need a bit of adjustment I guess. Anyway thanks for the tips. Will try them.

My car has been driven for 307km as of today. To check the low mileage , I tried a night drive to my office on the same route that I take every day with no AC. Got a mileage of 14.4 kmpl. Reset the tripmeter on the return journey and tried will full AC on. Got a mileage of 12 kmpl.

Let me explain my daily commute to make things a bit more clear.
    Home to office is 19km. Normally, I take 35-40 minutes to cover this distance. Roads are 2-lane,very good with almost zero potholes. But, they are extremely curvy and there is a lot of human settlement on both sides. Hence I find it very difficult to shift to the fourth gear as one cannot drive beyond 40km/h. Even if one can shift to fourth, you will have to downshift to third as you would encounter a curve soon.
    During my morning commute, the same roads will have a fair bit of traffic. At some junctions, there is moderately heavy traffic with blocks.
    During my return journey, roads are mostly free.
    So overall, most(if not all) of my daily drive is in the third gear. In this normal cycle, I used to get around 9kmpl.

:eek:fftopic For people who might be familiar with the route, it is Vazhayila- Mannanthala-Keralaadityapuram-Kariyam-Sreekaryam-Chavadimukku-Bypass-Office.
  3. paachu802

paachu802 Timido

Ernakulam
    8.8 kmpl ???????????? ..............it may be not in kmpl.....did you change the unit in the menu to kilometer /litre????
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  4. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    sanjeev, you havent even driven one full tank.. drive it more often .. reset the trip meter when you fill up next time and from a good pump. If you have filled from the pump opp to kulathunkal, its the worst ever i ve seen, highly adulterated as they are the ones who mostly give the free fuel offered by the dealer !! you ll get to know correct figures after some time.. avoid revving in the second gear as in petrols, you can go like a rocket in third gear in punto !!
  5. :eek:fftopicOur Punto 1.2 active used to give 9kmpl constantly with AC when dad used to drive very spiritedly,0-20(1st gear),20-40(2nd gear),40-70(3rd)

So dont worry,you will definitely get good mileage after a few hundred kms..:)
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Why dont you do a simple test.
    Take you're car out on a saturday noon/evening for a trip round the city and drive the way you normally do. I'm very sure you will see a big difference in F.E.
  7. redtux

redtux

Trivandrum
    I am familiar with the Sreekaryam to Office route, and its no 3rd gear route, you can easily run in 4th/5th. I guess you have to adjust to driving the diesel. Whereas the Alto needs to be flogged, you can relax and ride the torque of the Punto MJD. Dont worry just upshift and take her to 4th.
  8. maverick

maverick Amatore

I do Pongumood - Technopark daily and I am getting 15 - 17 kmpl with ACC on, I think it will take a little bit time for you to get accustomed with Diesel engine. Try driving the car with "IC" reading on, that should help you to get better mileage.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  9. abhiuday

abhiuday Amatore

New Delhi
    Let me share my exp with my 2 month old punto 1.3 MJD Dynamic:

- 1st 300 kms - average of 12 Bumper to Bumper traffic. Also the car felt heavy. Mind you this is my first deisel car and my prev car was a petrol swift. I was seriously considering my decision to buy a punto. 12 was not in my distant mind...anything below 14 was bad, as my swift petrol at times does give me 14km/l.

- Next 650 kms - average of 13, same driving condition, 100% ac on. A bit happy but not that much. Still not close to petrol efficiency :(

- Prev 350kms - average of 16, same driving condition, 50% ac on. Oh man! I was really surprised and couldn't believe it. THought the MID has gone MAD.

Current ODO reading 1500+. Current efficiency shown by MID 16.2. Engine revv kept arnd 2200. Speed upto 80-90. (whenever i can manage that in delhi)

If the first few weeks, I did not understand the diesel dynamics at all. I was revving at 2500 and my gear shift was same as petrol...too much expectation from the 1st and 2nd gear.. Old habbits die hard :). However, by the second filling, I understood how the gear ratios work. However, I think that the engine was not that much worked up and therefore the efficiency was low. Also, this time I was experimenting with the gear ratios.
    Last reading made me literally jump with joy. 16.2 WOW. I do agree that the weather is fine in Delhia nd I am using AC only 50%, but still I am now driving at speeds of not more than 50..traffic does not permit..Delhi ggn highway is choked..

I would say that one should wait a bit and have patience.

** I fill approx after 300 or 350 kms. Its the habit continued from the petrol cars. All readings based on the fuel efficiency dispayed in the MID.

Cheers!!
    Abhi
  10. Punter's

Punter's

Nai Dilli
    Congratulations Sanjeev for the white Punto. It is looking stunning. As far as your FE is concerned, I am sure it will improve with time. Be gentle on throttle and slot gears at appropiate time. 1000+ on ODO would make wonders for you and for the car. Engine would also settle down and you would become accustom to a Diesel car. Change the bunk for sure and measure from tankful to tankful. Then you would also see the MID error is EF (if any) by this.

All the best.