1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

My 2012 BNW Fiat Grande Punto Dynamic

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by sanjeevskartha, Aug 16, 2012.

1. "What?? Fiat??"
    "There's no resale value for a punto. Buy a Swift- that's a safe investment"
    "You are going into lot of trouble. Your car will have so many niggles that it is going to rot in the service center"
    "Fiat is going to lock down in India soon. Why do you want to risk so much money then?"
    "Bad bad choice man. Don't do it. They have got the worst after sales service you can think of. You know my friend's friend bought a Linea and then .."

These were the responses from my family and friends when I announced my decision to buy a Punto.Family was easy to handle, since they didn't have much idea about Fiat, let alone Punto. My sister claimed that she had never seen a Punto in her life. Of course she had. Just that she did'nt know it was Punto when she saw it.Friends and colleagues were a bit more difficult to manage.Options were thrown around me.Swift.Polo.Figo.Ritz.Beat.i20.Indica Vista.But, I wanted the Punto. Not the Swift. Not the Figo. The Punto.

I was classified as a certified lunatic for my choice. People just could not understand why I would shell out 7 lakh rupees to buy a car that sells a tenth of a Swift. But as all of us TeamFiatians would agree, Fiat cars pull at our heart strings a lot more than any other cars. Thus began my association with Fiat.
    After going through the Fiat India portal, I decided to go for the 1.3 MJD Bossa Nova White Dynamic variant.This variant had almost all the things I was looking for : ABS, Music system, Electric mirrors and Power Windows. Would have liked to have Airbags and Steering mounted controls as well but Emotion was out of my budget.

Having decided on the model, next was the hunt for the best deal. There are two Fiat vendors in the place where I live- Kulathunkal motors and Mohandas motors. The former is far away from my home, while the latter is hardly a five minute walk. Obviously, my choice was Mohandas motors due to the proximity.
    However , I did not have a pleasant experience with the TD from Mohandas motors.

Now starts the next part of my story. Having ruled out MM, my only option was Kulathunkal- which did'nt exactly have a good reputation either. I was confused about what to do.This is where TFI and varunrtr came to my rescue. Varun guided me to an SA from Kulathunkal -Ratheesh- and told me that this guy is really good. Called him up immediatly. The SA took my call and agreed to come to my place within an hour. He showed up in a proper TD car and insisted that I take a TD once more.I enjoyed the second TD with him. He was polite, honest and had a passion for Fiat. It was a complete contrast as to my TD experience from MM.Talked to him about the deal, he offered me the standard fare(7000 corp discount,Free Insurance etc)+ seat covers+an extra cash discount. Although I was not 100% satisfied with the deal, I decided to go for it.
    The next day, booked the car with Ratheesh, got all details and offers in writing and paid a token booking amount.
    Varunrtr- buddy- Thanks a lot for your help :clap
    Took delivery of the car after the PDI on July 7th. Due to an accident, my car was wheeled back to the service center on the same day.
    Got it back after service about ten days later.Accident Dents were repaired well, but a couple for newer dents , scratches and paint marks were given to me free of cost :sadblue
    Anyway, I finally took delivery of my car .
    Now about my Punto:
    A lot has been said about the car , so am not going to repeat all features and details of the car.
    I'll just sum up some pros and cons which I felt personally
    *Superb ride and handling- Needs to be experienced to be believed. Try going over a small pothole at 60+kmph. You would'nt even feel it.
    *Looks - Need I say more :eek:
    *VFM- I feel a car with such a great engine and solid exteriors with a decent amount of equipment at 7 lakhs OTR is pretty VFM. ABS,Electric mirrors,All power windows,remote locking on foldable key, music system are all offered in the Dynamic variant.
    * Okish After Sales, Excellent support from the SA though.
    * Amazing highway manners- This car was built for the highway. She just wants to go faster and faster. Ofcourse she is solid as a rock at high speeds :clap
    * S-U-P-E-R braking. Stops in a straight line. No fuss.

*Mileage- Strangely, am getting only 8.8 km/l . I guess this might improve.
    * Niggles- Yes, faced a number of niggles including a broken knob on the parcel tray, incorrect fit of 60:40 split seats, creaking noise from the rear RHS door and some kind of spring action noise from the driver's seat. But hey- I can live with all that.

All in all I would sum up like this- Don't fall for stories and reviews. Take a TD. Drive and experience the car. Learn about the service centers. Talk to people who own the car. Calculate your finance. Have an idea about spares/service cost. Then decide if you want to buy it. You won't be disappointed
    Some pics now ..

14 people like this.
  2. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3
    Congrats buddy for having made the right choice! Dont worry about the mileage, it willl improve as you start crunhing more mile with your beauty. Happy and Safe motoring. Btw, good pics
    2 people like this.
  3. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    You have taken the Right Decision and i assure you that the love for the Car will be more passivization as the Kms clock by and the engine will be more refined where as in others its the opposite.
    Once a Fiat always FIATian
    1 person likes this.
  4. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    This is main story, try yourself, judge by yourself & your family member, check your and your family member's requirement & then go for any Car which fits your requirement. You are buying car for you & your family, you are not buying car for others. Congrats to you for your car and you have nicely written your exp. Drive safely.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. Hearty congrats to u Mr.Sanjeev. Dont worry about other people's words.. They doesnt know about our FIAT... They will realise once they travel in it...!!!
    1 person likes this.
  6. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Glad to see you and your car back in action here :)
    Its my pleasure to help a fellow Fiatian :)
    1 person likes this.
  7. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

congrats mate! the first picture is just so amazing, your car is looking so adorable as if those eyes are talking :)
    btw I hope its 8.8 l/100 km and not 8.8 km/l. Did you double check on that because by default the units are litre/100 km, atleast in my car :)
    1 person likes this.
  8. cannonera

cannonera Amatore

sanjeevskartha: I own the exact same car as yours, & looking at pics, I am feeling a sudden urge to take out a drive with my Punto! Heart Always Rules Over the Mind :)
    1 person likes this.
  9. Excellent choice and excellent car...happy puntoing!!!
    1 person likes this.
  10. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Yehi hay right Choice baby ;)... aahaaa ;)...

Congrats for your New Punto Buddy....

Wishing you many more happy miles with smile in your Punto :car

Neel :)
    1 person likes this.