1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Mutual Funds Thread

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by ghodlur, Jan 9, 2014.

1. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    MF gurus,

Need expert advise.

Had SIP's in 4 MF's all of which expired in December 2013. So planning to start fresh SIP's in 1) BSL Front Line Equity fund 2) HDFC Top 200 3) ICICI Focussed blue chip. Rest of the investments in PPF (Self+wife). Planning to have SIP for atleast 3 yrs. Are the above mentioned funds good enough? Or should I have some Balanced fund in my portfolio? Pls advise.

Second query is all of my earlier MF investments have now two options one is Regular and Direct plan. Planning to safeguard the profits earned in these MF's. Should I switch the Regular & Direct plan units from MF to Liquid funds of the same MF house. This way I can ensure that capital is protected + earnings slightly more than Bank FDs at the same time privind easy/fast liquidity. What should my strategy be? Suggest some good funds too.

Mods: Searched for any existing thread, couldnt find one. Hence starting new. If any thread exists, pls move accordingly.
  2. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Thanks for pointing it out. But I guess that thread was not exclusively for Mutual funds discussion. I leave it to mods to decide if they want to merge the thread or allow starting a new one.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    AFAIK, balance between and debt funds and high risk funds should be made, choose wisely and track closely. :-D

What have been your returns in terms of percentage to date. Do you maintain a graph on moneycontrol or such..
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  5. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    I have SIPs in DSP Blackrock Equity fund Growth and Top 100 + HDFC Equity Growth and another HDFC growth fund...
    Last 3 years, more or less I got what I invested and some 1000-2000 extra that's it...
    i carry on investing as I am bad planned and don't save...atleast these MFs act as a place to stash some money when I critically need it ;)

otherwise, personally I don't believe these MFs will do any good to me !! A recurring savings bank ac is better as it will not fluctuate much and you know what you get.

OT : I stopped investing on all my money back insurance policy and opted for Term Policy with 50 Lakhs which costs some 8-9k per annum..
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Precisely my point of view summarized..:razz:

Further more, if holding is not a problem then real estate is the only other sector that is safer in medium to long term and returns in metros have been very rewarding for many.

MFs mostly are like mass suicide where collectively people commit blunders of giving money to be invested to bad money managers with guaranteed commissions to themselves only. :evilsmile
  7. Loucon

Loucon

Bengaluru
    Why does MF sound like a bad word???
    3 people like this.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Corrupt minds so I always say 'mutual funds '

Sent from my Q1000 using Tapatalk 2
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Corrupt minds so I always say 'mutual funds '

Sent from my Q1000 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  10. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Guys,

Interested in investing in Liquid Mutual funds. Just want to know the taxation part post redemption. Planning to invest for a period of 9 months so that I can redeem for one particular goal in mind. Or do I stick to Equity MF's considering the so called experts opinion that markets are expected to rise post the polls?