1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Music System upgrade in Punto

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by paragsuri, Jan 9, 2015.

1. paragsuri

paragsuri Timido

Gurgaon
    Hi Guys,
    I own 1.3 MJD Emotion Pack 2012 model red color. I wanted to upgrade my factory fitted speakers in my Punto.
    I have chosen the configuration as under:
    1. Amplifier - Sony Xplod XM-N1004 - 4 channel bridgeable (1000W)
    2. Component Speakers - Polk Audio DB6501 - 6.5 inch 2-way (300W)
    3. Co-axial speakers - Thinking to keep the same factory fitted rear speakers.

The cost of amp and component speakers are coming out to be 11.5k.

Please suggest whether this is a good option or not.

Thanks.
    Parag Suri.
  2. rahulvfx

rahulvfx Amatore

Bangalore
    Polk Audio DB6501 sounds gr8, as I have those on front doors. But one mistake I made is choosing Polk Audio DB651 dats co-ax, whose performance is very compromising. So according to me put the same for rare doors as well... Or else if you get any co-ax of 5.5 inch, coz rare doors can only fit 5.5inch, else you have to cut the speaker fitting space to accommodate 6.5 inch which I did...
  3. paragsuri

paragsuri Timido

Gurgaon
    Is Amplifier required for the best output from these speakers or it will work well without Amp as well ?
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    When compared with Polk DB, Focals sound way better. Esp the Access 165A1SG. Priced at approximately similar price point of 8.5± in deal price. Currently price hovering at 9.5 but you could get it for about 1k lesser. Infinity Kappa 60.11 is also better for vocals and clear mids or even better is Morel Maximo 6 if budget can be flexed a bit.

http://www.amazon.in/Focal-165A1SG-6-5-inch-Component-Speaker/dp/B007T7F2VE?tag=googinhydr18418-21
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 9, 2015 ---
    No Components should be run without amplifiers, since the tweeters esp. can strain the in-built HU amps. They have dedicated crossovers these components as you must have seen. On some crossovers you can set the tweeter gains to -3db or -6db depending on your taste and tweeter placement. The Focals suggested above come with inverted dome tweeter and have these settings to play with.

Update: it was sold at Rs. 8650/- including shipping charges by the same seller Arora Electronics before this.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  5. paragsuri

paragsuri Timido

Gurgaon
    Thanks for the input Friend...Just wanted to know shall i keep the factory fitted rear speakers as it is and get the component ones installed in the car ? And Is Amp required to support these component speakers ?
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Factory HUs do not (generally) offer Line Level Output (via RCA). Therefore that is one important link in a good install where amp is concerned. And when you want to install amp for a good clean sound, also needed are component speakers. Difference in components as I mentioned earlier is better voice coils rated for more RMS, to be driven via amplifier (amplified) signal offering great SNR and good clean mids and highs. Besides the fact that you place Tweeter & Midrange speaker separately or Tweeter & Midrange and Midbass (in 3 way) and rarely four ways too. Vaguely speaking Mids consist of voice, and highs consist of high frequency sounds like cymbals.

To have adequate power to these drivers (mechanical forces) an amp is needed to drive them with minimum distortion or better tonal reproduction.

Remember to check RMS ratings for amp and impedance for speakers. Basically, the amp should be rated nearing or higher than a speaker. Per channel speaker could be 45-75RMS @ 3ohms and amp should match accordingly. A 4ohm speaker could be damaged at 3ohm impedance or an amp rated to deliver stable 4ohm could be damaged at higher volumes due to speaker rated more (in the long term).

To make matters simpler, do mention your budget so a product could be suggested by TFIans.
  7. paragsuri

paragsuri Timido

Gurgaon
    Hi Friend, Thanks for the detailed input. Please find attached the deal which I am getting. I want to go with Amp and component as attached. Factory fitted rear speakers will be the same. Please see and advise if the configuration is fine. The budget is around 10k. Please advise the best thing around 10k. Thanks .

Screenshot_2015-01-02-16-31-22.png
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    If you are using Factory Head-unit, you will also need a high-low converter. Since the Sony Amp is bridgeable. You could power the rear channels in bridge-mode to power a Subwoofer. If you don't need Subwoofer for now attach the new components (front) and factory OEM co-axials at rear to all four channels on amplifier. Remember to set the gains setting appropriately for rear co-axials (lower RMS capacity).

Also straight away reject the hi-low converter if there is a hissing sound from the system during powering up. Ask the installer to check the grounding and get a standard converter.

Item 1- http://www.snapdeal.com/product/blaupunkt-cx-170-car-speaker/651025
    Item 2 - the sony amp or any other 4 channel amp within budget.
    Item 3 - Entry level sub like this - http://www.snapdeal.com/product/pioneer-ts-w304r-30-cm/651232 with any 12" sealed box.

Total cost of all above will shoot to 12-13k but will be worth it.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  9. paragsuri

paragsuri Timido

Gurgaon
    Thanks friend for the detailed input. Will try and work the configuration around. One last question :
    If I don't use Amp and sub woofer, which components and coaxials I can use which can give me good sound with decent base with the factory fitted HU.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    For amp-less setup, use any good co-axials that are rated at say 45W-65W (4ohm) at max. When you have budget for Components and Amps+Sub, shift the co-axials at front towards the rear.

Infinity Kappas are preferable and will sound even better with amp if added later--
    http://www.snapdeal.com/product/infinity-kappa-5211i-55-inch/659127

6.5" version --
    http://www.snapdeal.com/product/infinity-kappa-6211i-612-coaxial/659129

If you don't want to install components and amps even later, just install the same set mentioned above at rear too. However, do consider adding amp or components for better imaging.