1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Mushroom patching of tubeless tires

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by pdydeva, May 11, 2014.

1. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Hi, Thought of sharing regarding the recent puncture issue I had in the Front left Acelere of Punto.

10K kms back, front LHS was having a puncture in the inner shoulder. Patched it with the regular tubeless repair strip for 120 rupees.

The puncture was at the exact nail location as shown in the below picture.
    tubeless.jpg

Recently started observing slow drop in air pressure from the same tyre. When checked, there was a leak from the same patch. May be it's because the plug got loose as it is located in the shoulder which may experience some level of flexing too. Did some search for a better alternate and found the mushroom patching system which thoroughly patches the hole from inside. Benefit comes for triple the price of regular patching cost. Balancing will be required as the tire is removed from the wheel.

Total cost: Mushroom patch - 300 + wheel balancing charges.
    Work done at Tire empire, Whitefield, Bangalore

Procedure adopted is as shown in the video except that the rubber cement is replaced by a red color paste (normally seen while patching bicycle punctures)

As the Acelere is symmetric, reversed the tire (inside out) as I believe exterior shoulder may experience lesser flexing. Need to see how far this will last as the puncture is at shoulder.
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
    4 people like this.
  2. pronoy_banerjee

pronoy_banerjee Amatore

Pune
    This is good info. I wonder if any setup in Pune does this.
  3. bbllaazzee

bbllaazzee Amatore

Bangalore
    Very good info, I also have the same issue with one of my wheels. Will try this method.
  4. prasanthabr

prasanthabr Timido

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Hi,
    Got a nail embedded in a similar location (near the tyre shoulder). Planning to fix this using a mushroon fix. Any other shops other than Tire empire, Whitefield, Bangalore that would be suggested? Some where close to RT Nagar, or Electronic City

IMG-20150520-WA0005.jpg
    Last edited: May 20, 2015
  5. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Any popular wheel alignment shop should be having this. HSR layout has another Tyre empire who does mushroom patch.

Important, you should get the wheel balancing done if you are going for mushroom patch.
    prasanthabr likes this.
  6. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    SLNP Pitstop in kundanhalli --white field road