1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Mumbai - Coimbatore Road Trip

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by VijayakumarR, Oct 30, 2015.

1. VijayakumarR

VijayakumarR Novizio

Navi Mumbai
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Ganges ...Thanks mate. Even i'm driving home for Diwali ;):)
    Ganges likes this.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @VijayakumarR
    Happy Diwali inadvance.
    Please add some pics of your eVo here.Evo chrome looks great on this color.
  3. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    What are the pros and cons of having more air pressure for highway trips ? Isnt it better to follow Fiat recommended air pressure ? I searched a similar article on Team BHP and found the opinions divided 50 - 50 for and against the increase in tyre pressure. What is the best strategy for Fiats ? Any words of experience ?
  4. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    @vinit : Fiat recommended air pressure for the Linea front's is 36 and the rear is 33, if I remember correctly which is quite high by the regular standards. Many stick to just 30 or 32.

For me out of my experience over the years, I generally prefer a stiffer ride on the highways so I bump up the pressure. Some cars take it well and some don't. It finally comes down to your preference over a period of time by playing with the pressure's. Another point which comes to my minds for increasing the pressure would be the safety of your alloy wheels from damage. But it is all debatable so at the end of it, it's your choice.
  5. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    @5u3zEr0, you are right about the tyre pressure. I always maintain 36 and 33 psi in front and rear tyres respectively and have not faced any problem. It is my observation that people keep slightly higher pressure during winter. In my view, when we drive on concrete roads, the pressure may go up. I have had a bad experience on Mumbai-Pune Expressway (a concrete road), when my Indica tyre got burst, though no harm happened. I attribute it to the concrete surface. I have driven many times on NH3 and NH4 with 36 / 33 psi pressure and haven't faced any problem - most of its surface is tar.
    5u3zEr0 likes this.
  6. Ashok James

Ashok James Novizio

Tenkasi
    Tenkasi
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    1. Spare key
    2. Power bank for charge mobile.

Please keep these things urself.

Without spare key, i got a worst experience in Goa.
  7. rejin_r

rejin_r Amatore

Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Hi Vijayakumar,

i just drove from cochin to chennai via coimbatore today.

my 0.2c.
    1) It is raining in T.N, so better not to target a 1 day drive as you would have to drive at a very high speed.
    2) Have enough water to clean the windshield as the dirt gets splashed from other vehicles.
    3) keep the spare key safe in your pocket (not in baggage)
    4) expect heavy traffic during diwali.
    5) Make sure you have completed the 6 month service of your car and done wheel rotation or else get a checkup done.
    6) I prefer keeping tyre pressure as mentioned on the manual (refer driver side door frame for tyre pressure recommendation based on your tyre size). NO2 would help.
    7) Drive safe, take break/ sleep whenever you feel tired /distracted/ irritated.
    8) Keep enough money to pay for Toll.
  8. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    And not to forget an umbrella in the car :happy:
  9. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I have done a non stop drive from Kayamkulam (Kerala) to Dombivili (Maharashtra) with my family in September. Route is simple and very well marked.
    Start early so that you can avoid bikers near Pune and Satara. I prefer driving at night. Just keep drinking water at regular intervals even if you are not thirsty. This will keep you hydrated and make sure that you stop for a leak.
    Refill at kolhapur to tank full. Also there are not many good restaurants on the highway after belgaum, so plan your food stops. Google for eateries on NH4, and there is a thread in t-bhp. You can use your navigator to find NICE road at Bangalore, otherwise it's not needed.

All the best for your trip.
    5u3zEr0 likes this.
  10. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    hi @VijayakumarR - I have driven this route close to 10-12 times and would say that this is one of the best routes you can take. your plan of leaving Vashi at 0430 will be perfect as you can straight away hit the Mumbai pune expressway at Panvel and be clear of pune by 0630.
    the road till Satara is not in a great condition, and will have a lot of truckers, and the progress is likely to be slow. Have patience. post satara, it will be extremely difficult to keep the needle under three digits. you can make it to Bangalore by 1630-1700 and the final stretch to Bangalore can be boring as well as tiring. a night halt is strongly recommended. please take it either well before Bangalore or use nice road, skip Bangalore and halt at Hosur.

Doable in a single day, but not recommended. 6 month old grey hound - no worries. fill it shut it, and forget it..

and as a standard practice, its always nice to fuel up on highways whenever your fuel drops below 1/4th mark . also, please don't drive it any longer than required after the yellow low fuel light comes on. and definitely never take it to low fuel warning on MID.

lot of McD's and highway dhabas available on the road. would be a great idea to run from McD to McD or Café Coffee Day to CCD outlets ..
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 5, 2015 ---
    PS - my last trip on these roads was last trip was from Colaba to salem halt
    salem to kochi
    lastweek!