1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Mumbai - Coimbatore Road Trip

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by VijayakumarR, Oct 30, 2015.

1. VijayakumarR

VijayakumarR Novizio

Navi Mumbai
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Hey Friends

Greetings.

Have been thinking about making a Road trip to Coimbatore from Mumbai this Diwali:).
    Am hoping to get some valuable inputs from the members of this forum with regards to it.
    My earlier experiences of long drives are that of an one off drive from Bangalore to Coimbatore and two trips to Shirdi from Mumbai with the guidance of Google Maps;).
    I had always had the company of my better half on all the above trips.
    But this time i'd be driving all alone, to be with my family for Diwali.

My plan as on date stands as following

1. My 6 month old 90HP Grey Hound's driving pleasure
    2. A MMI GPS Navigator to show me the way
    3. A Portable compressor with a Tyre Puncture Kit... hope i don't get to use it...never ever changed a tyre by myself :D
    4. Reserve Fuel in a 10L Jerry Can:rolleyes:
    5. My Favorite Music collections;) and snacks :playful::playful::playful:
    Also have no clues,
    • As to what the possible route should be, though i am well aware of the Bangalore to Coimbatore route. It is the Mumbai - Bangalore route i am wary of .
    • Still contemplating the thought of making a non-stop trip. Google Maps says that it is 1316 Km and 18H 23M. Wondering if i could manage the distance without any sleepovers :p. Thinking of starting from Navi Mumbai at around 4AM in the morning so that i enter Tamilnadu by night fall.

Any inputs as to how i should handle the trip from my fellow members is more than welcomed by me, with the limited time i have to prepare:angelic:. Thanks Friends.

Cheers
    Vijayakumar R
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @VijayakumarR

Have a look at this post by @GirishRaghu who had recently travelled from Thane to Chennai via Bangalore.
    http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/my-mini-maserati.4275/page-9#post-841937625

A few suggestions from my side:
    1) Points no 3 and 4 are not required. NH4 has ample petrol bunks all the way till Bangalore. The only thing is you should be able to replace any flat tyre with stepney and if unsure pls read the manual where there are clear instructions to replace the tyre.
    2) Music yes, you should have lots of music but I would suggest go for the soft music, instrumental one etc. This is to keep your nerves calm since your better half is not around to do that. Along with some healthy snacks, keep a few additional bottles of water too.
    3) The route is fairly simple. Follow the Pune E-way till Pune, then NH4 all the way till Bangalore. You will need to bypass Bangalore city through NICE road and head on to Coimbatore.
    4) If I were you I would definitely take a few hour rest. As said by Girish raghu KSTDC at Chitradurga is a good option if you are not hell bent on showing your machoism by driving non stop.

All the best for the trip, do write an update on the road conditions.
  3. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    Like Ghodlur said, taking extra fuel in a jerry can is not required at all on this route. Its quite a busy and important highway. If you already have a tyre inflator then you should carry it for any emergency. If you have a puncture, you can inflate the tyre and get to the nearest repair store.

You should take an overnight break in between, driving continuously would be very tiring and unsafe. Or if you want to stretch it, then you could do Mumbai to Bangalore in a stretch and then continue onwards the next day to Coimbatore.

The route is fairly straight forward, you just have to keep on the main highway and bypass all the major towns and cities. Don't forget to take the NICE road when you are entering Bangalore or you will regret it with the crazy traffic in Bangalore city.
  4. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    I have done this route twice and suggest the following:
    1. Don't start very early, as day-light comes late now. Start at around 0530 hrs (West coast).
    2. Take breaks after two hours, since you are driving alone.
    3. Take 2 days and aim for 600-700 km each day.
    4. Don't miss Pune-Bypass - I once entered Pune in the evening missing the Bypass.
    5. You will find many places to stay along the highway - I have stayed at Satara, Kolhapur, Dharwad, Belgavi for night halt.
    6. Cross Bangaluru before evening (NICE road) - I got stuck at the Tolls at Hosur and Electronic city due to heavy traffic. Maybe, it is better now.
    7. Keep water to clean wind-shield also.
    8. Avoid travelling at night, say after 0700 hrs, if you don't have much experience. Still you can cover 600-700 km easily.
    All these for safer travel, as you are alone.
  5. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Fuel can is not at all required. Please note that the Diesel fumes will be all over your car if you place a jerry can with diesel inside. Can is required may be for a Ladakh drive or rarest of rare occasions when strikes in a particular state kind of.. . Good that you are starting very early in the morning. Enjoy your drive.
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @VijayakumarR

Just one suggestion I missed out. Keep Fiat service centre list for the route handy. Fiat RSA in national and make a note of that.

Because of your freedom, dont drink and drive. :p:p:p
  7. VijayakumarR

VijayakumarR Novizio

Navi Mumbai
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks a ton friends :happy:

Its exactly for these unbiased inputs of yours I turned up to the forum.
    The Portable Air Compressor with Tyre Puncture kit was something I purchased in one of my overseas trip as I was getting a good deal at that time;)... so far have only been using it to fill air in my daughter's toy Swimming Pool and Balloons for her :shame::shame::shame:...so i'm just carrying it along;)
    And the Jerry Can was because of my past experience of myself almost running out of fuel within Navi Mumbai city:banghead::banghead::banghead:
    It so happened that I was too busy to stop at any Fuel bunks between work and when I noticed it showed 42Km on the reserve and I thought I could easily reach my regular petrol pump from Mumbai Airport...:banghead:... by the time I reached Vashi it was showing empty and I was so scared for the last few miles:confused:... so planning to play it safe this time with a can in the back :D

so my key take-aways from your inputs would be
    • More inclined towards taking a halt overnight midway
    • Apart from Chitradurga Fort are there any scenic views that would fall on the way to Bangalore, for I thought of checking them during daylight and travel partly at night
    • Mumbai-Pune-NH4-Banglarore-NICE-Coimbatore for sure
    • Break Every two hours- Yes... plenty of water-Yes...and regarding drink and drive-i'm a tea teetotaler @ghodlur :angelic:
    P.S. I read somewhere that it would be better to have air pressure two points more than the regular(32) when driving on highways...???
    Also I kind of remember that the first service for my car was due in 6 months, if so should I ensure anything during that service or should I service after making the trip in two weeks time ?

Cheers
    Vijayakumar R
  8. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    Yes, you are right about the air pressure increase for high speed drives. 34 PSI is fine, I nowadays do plus four that is 36 PSI, the handling and ride are nice and stiff.

Better to give your car for service before the trip so that a general check up will be done and if there is anything wrong, it can be fixed.
  9. VijayakumarR

VijayakumarR Novizio

Navi Mumbai
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Hmmm... 34 would be fine by me, Thanks.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Awesome. 1500+kms of drive... MjD loves to be driven continuously.I think 34 is on higher side maintain as per OEM.On highways tire pressure increases( correct me if I'm wring) .Diwali holidays everyone want to reach home early.Drive Safe.if night drive , keep an eye on tail lamps to judge the size of vehicle ahead of you. You lucky there all the way 4 lane.After this trip for sure your highway drive confidence will reach at laddakh heights.... Enjoy the punchy pull of 90hp drive through your drive.
    " Travel, as if you don't want to arrive".