1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Mumbai - Bangalore Road Trip

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by rajeev_pillai, Aug 12, 2012.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    When did you reach Hubli ?
  2. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I was on Hubli bypass at 3.15pm on 15th August.

Rajeev

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  3. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Start of travelogue

Trip summary: Mumbai -Bangalore - Mumbai
    Total trip distance: 2234kms

The thought
    This trip was planned 3 months ago when one of my friends contacted me and we planned for a collage reunion at Bangalore. The venue was selected for the convienience of most of my batch mates. The date was decided for 18-19th August. So I decided to take leave on 16th and 17th August to get the benefit of Independence day and Eid holidays.

Then the idea of driving to Bangalore came up, discussed it with my wife. Initially she was not willing thinking that I have to drive the entire strtch. So I called another friend who is ever ready for road trips. He agreed to join us with family, so the final count was 4 adults and two kids.

Plan
    Now the planning phase started, there is no doubt about the route. Its NH4 right from Mumbai till Bangalore. sought help from our own travel encyclopedia J.Ravi sir and got some tips, information about road condition and eateries for both car & us.

Plan was to start on 15th Aug early morning and reach Bangalore by late evening.

Hurdles.
    1. Drive alone:
    My friend's wife got a new job and she was finding it difficult to get leaves.
    So my friend and family backed out. Again my wife got concerned about driving alone.

2. Resistance to travel at night from the family:
    Plan adjusted to start early morning 4.00 AM. So that We'll on known roads till dawn.

3. Punctured tyre and broken windscreen washer tube:
    Punture repaired and a jugaad for the washer tube . I will post the details later.
    Also packed the necessary tools, puncture repair kit, air compressor etc.

4. Kid's health condition:
    Luckily he recovered from cold and cough a day before travel.

For me, it was like I pulled the trigger and there is no turning back. In software engineers terms there is no 'Cancel' but only 'Ok' button to press.

Preparation
    I had removed the carputer due to monsoon, so took my karbonn tablet as in-car-entertainment device, and for navigation was using Sygic maps. My destination at Bangalore was my uncles's apartment near K.R Puram, Outer ring road. I use GPS coordinate based search to find house addresses that are not mapped as POIs. And starred the locations I wanted to visit in google maps. Apart from that I created a document containing all necessary information provided by J. Ravi sir and some other member's from there travelogues to plan my stops.

--Rajeev

More waiting in queue....
    4.jpg
    5 people like this.
  4. Looking forward to reading your experience...
  5. Waiting for your complete travel experience as am planning the same route Pune - Bangalore - Coimbatore for my diwali vacation.

It would be of great help to know the things in hand before I start my trip.
  6. rajeev
    hope you completed the trip..
    waiting eagerly for yout travelogue since i am also planning to drive till chennai via bangalore this April..
  7. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Sorry guys,
    I will update the log. Sanjeev, do your homework properly and you will be able to do it effortlessly.

Rajeev
  8. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Final Preparations
    A List of essential items for the trip was created and shopping done in the weekend before the trip. I had ordered star 3D mats from SAI Magwheels, they have also arrived one day before the travel date. Those guys are super-fast in delivering products. On 14th August, I reached home at around 9.00 pm after work. Mean time I have asked my wife to get the packing done so that I can load the bags into the car at night and clean it thoroughly before hitting the road. However nothing happened because we had some guests. We started packing by 10.30 pm and I was not feeling sleepy. My son was also not in the mood to bed and was in full josh. I told her that we may leave at night itself may be by 1 or 2'O clock as I am quite comfortable with night driving. Also the roads till day light are known to me. However by 12, I was feeling tired (packing is quite boring too) so the plan to start at night was dropped and went to bed set the alarm for 4'O clock.

Finally woke up at 4.15 AM after snoozing the alarm for a couple of times and prepared a strong black coffee, to get freshened up. Mallus prefer black coffee which we fondly call "kattan kaapi". The coffee powder is also different from the normal instant coffee. Went down to the parking and cleaned the car and windshield and lights. Ensured proper air pressure in all tyres and checked all electrical. Then the loading process started. Things which are not required during the journey were loaded into the boot and others were kept in the area between the front and back seats. Back seat was kept cleared so that if my son feels sleepy, he can sleep there. By the way, My son, Vedant got up at 4.30 AM and started crying thinking that we are leaving without him.

The Jugaad
    The windscreen washer tube was broken in my car so the spray was not working. Using an insulation tape and a drinking straw from frooty juice pack, I fixed it temporarily. The straw was cut into two 1 inch pieces and inserted half into one part of the tube and other half to the other tube. Using the insulation tape covered the area of join using duct tape. The straw was a perfect fit and was holding both tubes. It was working perfectly as expected and lasted till it was replaced at TASS. A schematic is given below as I have not taken any pictures of the setup. Seat and mirror adjustments were done, GPS logger activated and Sygic Mobile application started and destination set. Tablet was plugged into the Aux-in and started some nice songs. Finally started the car at 5.05 AM on 15th August just came out of the building gate and took the first picture.

DSC_0001.jpg

-- Rajeev
  9. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Second stop was at the Ganpati Temple near Dombivili station, prayed for the blessings of the lord for safe travel. The roads of Dombivili were almost empty. Took the Kalyan-Shilphata road towards Shilphata, where I can join the old Mumbai-Pune highway (NH4). I have not filled petrol in advance so stopped at HP COCO pump near Katai Naka for refueling. The attendant was in half-sleep, so he confirmed it 3-4 times whether it is petrol or diesel. The first toll for the trip (25Rs) was paid at Katai Naka. Reached shilphata at 5.40 AM from there took left turn to join NH4 towards Panvel. There was not much traffic on the route except some state transport buses which won't allow you to overtake them or allow overtaking in difficult conditions to test the other driver’s skills. Reached Kalamboli at 6.00 AM and took the left turn to join Mumbai-Pune Expressway. Then only I realized that driving up to Kalamboli was a mistake. Reason is that there was only a single lane operating, which too was occupied by long long trailers moving at snail’s pace. Almost took 15 min to enter the Mumbai-Pune express way which is hardly 2 min drive from there.:A

Mumbai-Pune E-way needs no introduction and description. There were no traffic and I was easily cruising at 80KMPH with some good music. Stopped at Khalapur Food Plaza for tea and cleaned the glass areas again. By the time my son was also out of sleep. We crossed Khandala ghat in no time. Luckily there were not many trucks at the ghat. Exited the E-way at 7.40 AM and continued on NH4 or Banglore highway. We crossed the Katraj tunnel at 8.20 AM. One funny thing happened there. When we entered the tunnel, I turned the headlights on however the visibility was not that great. There was no lighting in the tunnel too. I checked the lights by turning it on and off, but the road visibility was very poor. I don't want to scare my wife telling that the headlights went off within 4 hours of the journey. Suddenly realized that I was wearing goggles and removed it. After that only I told my wife about it to laugh it out for the day and coming days. :-D

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg
    Driver...

Then it was a nonstop drive till Satara. While crossing Khambatki Ghat, we face some traffic. It was mainly because of some slow moving S.T buses trying to overtake another slow moving one on the not so wider roads. Also there were some smart sumo/ xylo drivers trying to overtake all vehicles in front of them by all possible ways. After the ghat, there was not much traffic and the road condition also improved a lot. We stopped for breakfast at a small hotel near Satara, we ordered poha and dosa and misal paav, all of them were tasteless. May be our taste buds were spoiled by some of the best eateries here. The hotel was relatively new and the toilets were clean, that was the only good thing about it. Continued our journey and was maintained 80KMPH and occasional 100s carefully watching the instant consumption. Saw the SAI food court suggested by J Ravi sir but we were not feeling hungry so didn't stop there. Near Kolhapur we saw a live accident where an S.T bus barged onto a divider after losing control. Luckily nobody was injured but people inside the bus were so frightened that they jumped on to the opposite side of the road without even considering the oncoming traffic.

DSC_0004.jpg
    Somewhere between Satara and Kohlapur

DSC_0006.jpg

--Rajeev
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
    3 people like this.
  10. So at last you are penning done your travelogue :clap,better late than never..Keep it coming:up