1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Multijet vs i DTEC vs dCi vs TDCi (1.5) vs D4D (1.4) vs CRDi

Discussion in 'Technical' started by kedarbendre, Dec 20, 2013.

1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Except that there is a burdguning thread on another forum where several Amaze diesel owners are reporting that their engines get 'hydrostatic'-ed in even very shallow water-logging and puddles even. Apparently there are many such reports on the net.

It turns out the engine had a basic flaw in 2013, since rectified presumably, of the air intake being placed unusually low, so that water was easily getting sucked in, causing havoc with the engine's internals. Apparently Honda has known about this and even did a selective 'soft' i.e., quiet 'recall' but that did not prevent a dealer from charging over 70000 rs. for engine repairs to a friend of the member of that forum RECENTLY.

So much for the Honda-is-a-byword-for-reliability mantra, even in diesel engines where they have no history at all since this is their first diesel ever!, that so many keep mouthing in our market.

If anything, quality standards on the Amaze, Mobilio and esp City are very sub-par, from numerous reports, reviews and personal experiences I have read, heard or had.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @prabhjot, this is neither a Honda bashing nor defense thread. What you said surely must be true, no denying there, you know better what you have read and stated here. However, all I am saying is if this was such a bad company people wouldn't be buying their products. Even as a matter of engine capability discussion there is a lot of time to be proved before this particular engine could be really deemed bad. You also are talking about overall standards of cars, which is not the intent of this thread.

Are we stating/assuming Honda Diesel engines are inherently flawed at design or manufacturing? Yes, material science part (few trade-offs) we all have come to understand, but apart from that seriously, is the engine as such so severely compromised, be it Honda or others? That is the key question for this thread.
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Just read an article in one forum that the intake in the iDTEC engine is so low that the water level even up to the base of the wheel poses a huge threat for the engine and many engines have stalled.
  4. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Even I read the report and its just not a one of case, there have been quite a few cases with the pre-2013 Amaze. Believe Honda has silently gone ahead and made some changes to fix this. I would not rate this as a fault of the i-Dtec but in the way Honda has designed and located the air intake
    asimpleson likes this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    BTW, one should see the way the ECM is placed on a lesser known lesser seen Premier RIO (the old Fiat manufacturers.)
    One wouldn't be surprised if it dies due to exposure to heat, water, dust and humidity. And the Multijet will be blamed for this for no fault.

http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-advice/reviews/premier-rio-multijet-road-test/14334/2
    ^^the pic where it is behind the coolant. On the very top side. Just few inches below the bonnet lid.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 14, 2014 ---
    Thats the thing about a good R&D and accountability towards engineering and customers both. I was impressed when recently they even went ahead with fixing/replacing Airbag system on some Accords manufactured in specific period. Most of the cars from that period are out of warranty. Customer needs to enter VIN No. on main site and register for the replacement FOC arranged by Honda.

It takes courage to acknowledge serious flaws in flagship products.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    mchanna likes this.
  6. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The Amaze issue is a goof up by Honda. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs a serious reality check.

The layout of the engine needs to be changed to address that issue which is not a small task. I am sure Honda realised it at some point in the development cycle but by then it was too expensive to go back.

I am sure there is going to be some jugaad fix. Re-routing the air intake is not a child's play. It requires serious fluid mechanics concepts and calculations.

Honda never was and still is not confident about the i-Dtec. It's a haphazardly designed and launched engine. Biggest testimony to this statement is the lousy warranty Honda gives on those engines. The iDtec is a bad engine. Period. Just search online, on Honda's Facebook page and consumer court forums the number of complaints the iDtec has.
  7. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    seems the buyers of i-Dtec Amaze, City, Mobillio are just going to Honda diesel with blind eyes.
    considering only kmpl and Honda brand and they are ignoring the poor NVH and reliability issues of this new engine.
    major share of Honda cars nowadays come from Diesel engine may be 60 %
    just google for Honda i-Dtec problems or complains, there are plenty of buyers/consumers facing or have faced issues.
    prabhjot and mangeshtendulkar like this.
  8. ccprakash

ccprakash Regolare

Bangalore
    One of my friend send an whats app image, his father is standing beside maruti ciaz and they have booked the car. I asked him whats the car?. He said not sure the name of the car, its from maruti.

How pepople are blindly going and buying cars in india even without knowing the name also.
    prabhjot likes this.