1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Multijet vs i DTEC vs dCi vs TDCi (1.5) vs D4D (1.4) vs CRDi

Discussion in 'Technical' started by kedarbendre, Dec 20, 2013.

1. My english teacher at school used to tell us that "ENGLISH IS A FUNNY LANGUAGE ; TAKE IT AS IT IS". I am remembering the phrase now.. QUIET right!!!
  2. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Er...not quite. :p ;)
    1 person likes this.
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Least vibrations MJD
    Least Sound Hyundai CRDI
    Most RPM friendly tie between MJD & CRDI

All this aluminium thin wall diesel is just marketing. Neither the I-Dtec have power nor refinement all it have is just FE & FE only. That too mainly because of low kerb weight & skiny tyres, 175 section tyres on city when competition have 195 & 205 section tyres as standard no doubt it would return 26 kmpl with a added 6th gear that would see engine revving at about 2000 rpm at 100 km/hr and they claim to use lowest viscosity engine oil in this engine with no mention of what viscosity it is.
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. Oil grade is 10W-30,they boosted about this when i did a review for Honda Amaze few months back.
    Another thing they talk abiut is reduced friction in the engine.
  5. C_S

C_S Amatore

Bangalore
    Agreed, apologies for digressing, had no intention of beating up Amaze/City... just wanted to reply to the traction that iDtec had created in the market. But you are right when you say i digressed.
  6. Volksjager

Volksjager Timido

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    As far as my knowledge goes. You need to be very careful with aluminium engines. Even the newer Ford 1.5 TDCI is complete aluminium block but it feels very refined when compared to I-Dtec. These engines can't take excessive heat. You need to change the engine oil and coolant very frequently. You cannot add road side available coolants such as servo, mak etc. Once I added road side coolant and tap water into my 1.3 mjd during an emergency situation and later drained it, which did not effect my engine in any way whatsoever. But if you do the same with I-Dtec engine, the water jackets inside the engine will get corroded. That's why Honda clearly mentions "use only Honda recommended coolant or it might pose a serious threat to the engine". We need to make sure that the coolant is at its optimum level and the fan is running at all times. We shouldn't allow the engine to get heated up. Once it gets heated up, then problems will crop up more frequently even if the engine is repaired.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Thanfully, the Multijet's still retain a strong cast iron block and Punto/Linea can still return 23++kmpl while carrying their "heavy" body shells and 195mm tires.

Have yet to hear a Multijet block cracking. Ford 1.4 diesel blocks cracking? - PLENTY.

Cheers.
    prabhjot likes this.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Some have ventured into rating these in particular orders, it should be more like personal preferences and choice or perceptions of good engines.

I would rate Dacia, Fiat, Toyota or Isuzu as more sturdier workhorses in long run rather than the remaining lot. Honda diesel remains to be seen in long run and given their R&D and engineering history, they will one day overcome lacunae (if any at all) with regards longevity etc. as has been speculated here by some.
  9. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Honda new Diesel engine is noisy and not tested.The quality wont be as good as multijet.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Not tested? Varin, I will believe Multijet is well tested, well acknowledged and well accepted or tried and test as they say. To say quality won't be as good only time will tell. Why not give them a chance, is all I am saying.

Honda is not a name to be taken lightly.. :)