1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Multijet vs i DTEC vs dCi vs TDCi (1.5) vs D4D (1.4) vs CRDi

Discussion in 'Technical' started by kedarbendre, Dec 20, 2013.

1. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    My personal opinion. Honda is a reputed brand and they have been doing right things for ages. It might not be so refined as MJD but it does get 25 KMPL and it does a decent job.

Time will clear all doubts about i-DTEC

As a fully finished product I love FIAT Vehicles
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I just wanted to check which one better diesel engine in current market scenario as City diesel is out in market.

Also wanted to compare Multijet with other diesel engines available in India.
  3. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My ratings and my 2 cents:

MultiJet > D4D > CRDi > TDCi > i-DTEC > dCI

01. The USP of MultiJet is the overall Jack of all trades but still master of many. It is quite refined, offers good FE, is highly reliable, perfectly adapted to a small engine size (1248cc) and good torque.

02. D-4D is a very reliable engine and has proved more than enough while powering the Innovas and Fortuners. It returns decent FE and also has a good engine life.

03. CRDi is refined and offers good FE but the life of the engine as per my opinion is not as good as a D-4D or MJD.

04. iDTEC. I dont know much except the poor NVH in Amaze.
    2 people like this.
  4. Pauleralil

Pauleralil Regolare

Kochi/Bangalore
    Have any one noticed any complaints of iDTEC engine failing or something serious.

Many have said its a noisy engine but till date no one has serious issues with them :)
  5. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT

Ideally Yes, Aluminium engine should be the lighter engine. But if you compare the specs.
    The IDTec 1.5 is 160 kgs, and our Multijet is 130 kgs.. During the launch when they claimed lightest in segment. the segment was only 1400 - 1500 cc

Fiat missed a Plot : They could claim that their engine is the most powerful 93 PS in its class(1200-1300 CC ).
  6. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    If I'm not wrong, all the engines mentioned are common rail direct injected ones. So the fundamental operating principle is the same. The only changes are in the basic layout, materials used and other trivial details. Now, considering that it was Fiat that pioneered the common rail technology (sadly sold it to Bosch in the final stages of development due to budget constraints), I would rate a Fiat crdi engine above the others, mainly due to the time they have had to experiment, develop and iron out the problems; in other words, they had a head-start and have used it to the max. This is, to an extent, true in the case of Toyota too. They too have a nice evolved engine in the D4D.
    The other two are relatively new players in the CRDI race. They need a little time to do the catching up, but considering their huge budgets and sales volume, we can safely say it won't be very long.
    In summary, for now, my order would be, Fiat>Toyota>Hyundai>Honda

Edit: Oops! Looks like I missed out a couple of engines!
    My revised order- MJD>D4D>TDCI>dCi>crdi>iDtec
    Phew! That's a long list! Did I miss any again?? :p
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  7. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT

You left out the Volkswagen 1.2 TDI engine . I think multijet 1.3 should be compared with this . as they are in same class With respect to cubic displacement
    Also close in line is the 1.1 U2 CRDI ..

Fiat really needs to get the 1.6 multijet, and that would take on all the diesel engines head-on.
    1 person likes this.
  8. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    But I still don't understand understand how hyundai made it so quite.
    mjd is definitely loud, I love it's roar but it's loud

Sent from my Q1000 using Tapatalk 2
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Guess you have never had a chance to experience Raj29's 90 HP. Hard to believe it is diesel.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.