1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

multijet engine overhaul!!

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by m-matt, Nov 25, 2014.

1. m-matt

m-matt Timido

Bangalore
    Palio Stile MJD 2008 Model. ODO: 83K
    started with strainer problem, and now it reached bit high sound[tick-tick] with black smoke since two weeks. Vehicle is now at garage.
    1Year back it had a problem with strainer, got damaged because of oil pump problem. While changing the timing belt the pump also changed.

Checked with Rajesh@HosaRoad. He confirms it needs an engine overhaul. Initially we thought it could be ANY issue with injector, but even after injector servicing also it is the same.

Guys, I want opinions. I prefer to go with any of the FASS in Bangalore. Which one is the better, VECTO or KHT? For the engine overhaul do we get any kind of warranty from FIAT for the work done? I know Venkatesh@Gowri does engine works, but since it is engine overhaul, wanted to get it done with at most care.

Thank You
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Is there an engine compression and pick-up issue coupled with black smoke. You need to rule out all other possibilities and then go for an engine overhaul. FASC done work will come with some guarantees for a limited period, please speak to them about the same.
  3. m-matt

m-matt Timido

Bangalore
    engine compression -> you mean to say heavy smoke?
    Pick up is normal. Not feeling any drop in pickup, even though it is not pushed so hard after I noticed the problem.

Thank You
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Well if there is no excessive engine oil consumption or pick-up loss etc. and overall performance is fine, might need just some small work in engine in worst cases. Is the engine timing perfect? Besides the first thing to do is identify that tick-tick sound origin (finding whether and how normal it is?) and do a compression check test etc. What needs attention in the engine in the mechanics' opinion? Has the car undergone a scanner/examiner check? My suggestion dont talk about engine overhaul with FASC for now, just show them the car and let them speak. "Overhaul" is a big word, and may need more than engine work, often times needing more than attending the engine alone. It is always possible that even within engine head and such some minor work might be needed with time, especially if engine timing has not been proper or tampered with or set wrongly.
    prabhjot, punto_emotion and m-matt like this.
  5. m-matt

m-matt Timido

Bangalore
    Your post make sense.
    I'm not much sure about the timing chain adjustment. This week I will take it to FASS, and let me see what is in their opinion. I have not done any scanner check so far. By overhaul I mean to say some sort of engine-open-work. Attaching few snaps of injector before the injector-service. You may notice one injector is completely smoked. http://1drv.ms/1ybAgSJ

Thank You
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    There is a possibility that again some injector might have clogged or is creating issue, also possible is bad fuel, do change the diesel filter also if not yet changed as you proceed towards problem solving.

EDIT: I am speculating here given the history you mentioned, there could be other factors involved here, just that opening the engine for a head/valve related work or complete overhaul is a costly proposition and often times needs great deal of expertise and precise setting else one can land up with a troublesome car (engine) post the engine work.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 25, 2014 ---
    Has the fuel efficiency gone down noticeably, esp. on stretches of highway. Do note the same just in case.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  7. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Did you get your intercooler and EGR cleaned ?
  8. m-matt

m-matt Timido

Bangalore
    I can hear it from engine bottom as well as from the top of the engine. that much only I can tell you at this point of time.
    ~18-19kmpl for the last journey with 60-75% A/C

yeah, got it cleaned during the timing chain adjustment.

Thank You
  9. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    The noise [tick-tick] and the black smoke may not be related. The sound may be also from one of the belts, the serpentine(which connects steering, brake, ac) or the alternator belt. I had this same sound in my 11 year old Matiz, where the belt had shredded at one place and a part of it was touching the engine.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @m-matt, it looks like the engine is quite OK. The FE figure is pretty much in the green zone. Hopefully there is no engine oil consumption too I suppose. Waiting eagerly to know what FASC guys say about the sound. A general service like Air filter replacement or cleaning could improve things a bit. If you have not changed the timing chain, might consider that too, sometimes these noise could be associated with it. You will have the advantage of freshly setting/checking the engine timing once again via or alongwith this procedure.
    prabhjot likes this.