1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

multijet clutch switch, engine dies

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by m-matt, May 5, 2014.

1. m-matt

m-matt Timido

Bangalore
    Car[Stile SDX] developed some kind of problem since last 6-8 months. When down shifts the gear 3-2, engine dies. Especially when the clutch is fully pressed and if not engaging the 2nd gear within time limit[!]. But it normally won't stop if engages the gear. May it is about to die, but since gear engaged engine breaths again. This happens ONLY when A/C is on.

Last month the timing chain has got changed, so I consulted the same Technician Rajesh. He says the clutch switch is broken, and need a replace. And of course I could feel kind of heavy/lazy engine. But soon after the timing chain has got changed, pick was awesome. Today I drove close 40 kms, many occasions I could feel the turbo was not kicking. In Second gear it does, but above that couldn't feel the pull after 2k rpm.

Any wild guesses ?

Possibly we could get more details of this once the switch got changed. Need to procure the switch from KHT.
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
  2. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    I too have the same problem with my sdx. I'm told it can be either the clutch switch or the brake switch at the pedal. I'm yet to get it fixed let me know the outcome once you get it changed

Sent from my Xolo A700 using Tapatalk
  3. m-matt

m-matt Timido

Bangalore
    Got it changed today. But no power/pickup change noticed yet.
  4. m-matt

m-matt Timido

Bangalore
    Once again I feel myself ashamed because of FIAT service. I went to Vecto motors singsandra to get the clutch switch replacement. But didn't notice the the difference between old and new, since the old one was jammed[initial impression was like the switch got broken], and was not in a moving state. Vecto replaced the switch with another switch which is only compatible for a 1.9 D version Palio! Since I was also in a very hurry at that moment, didn't get time to verify it. Since the switch didn't make difference even after the replacement, I was in a great worry. So checked Rajesh in the evening, and we came to notice, the new switch not even touching the pedal properly. An awesome daylight robbery by VECTO MOTORS.

http://1drv.ms/1nsEMps
    http://1drv.ms/1isHIBv

Fortunately we managed to get the old switch working by applying some coconut oil in it's free play area.
  5. m-matt

m-matt Timido

Bangalore
    my Palio is recovering slowly.

For the last couple of days I was in my native. Used to drive my Dad's i10 Kappa. Now wondering how big the Palio clutch pedal play is. Last time when I visited Rajesh's garage he pointed out a slight leak is getting developed on master cylinder. Looks like needs a replacement.
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    When you put a new clutch switch the piston of the switch should be pulled out completely before fitting. Many people dont know this and they install as it is from the factory packing. Then the pedal doesnt touch/ operate the switch properly.
  7. 1.6 petrol petra engine temp shows high in normal but with ac shows normal

Hi there,
    iam having a small problem with my petra 1.6 petrol, recently i have changed the AC evaporator and after tht i have suddenly noticed that my engine temp shows more than half......i have checked the coolant etc but everything looks fine.and when i run the car with AC on the temperature shows 1/4th reading which is the actual reading .....there are no repair guys of fiat in visakhapatnam and iam not sure what to do .. whether it is problem with resister / thermostat ???????can some body give a small help... will be kind enough if u can reach me @9550464554
  8. m-matt

m-matt Timido

Bangalore
    You mean to say the newly installed switch piston needs to be pulled out? We tried, but it was not coming easily. So I suspect it is only for some other version. It might come out if use some kind of pliers, but I doubt it might spoil? Another interesting thing is for multijet there is another switch available with a different part number, which costs ~450. This one cost only ~150.
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Cant say. What i said above was for the punto and linea
  10. m-matt

m-matt Timido

Bangalore
    just wanted to post an update.
    never had any problem after the switch repair.