1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Moving to Chennai on transfer - Suggestions/Help needed

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by lowflier, Jun 10, 2012.

1. lowflier

lowflier Amatore

South Florida
    Friends, I will be moving to Chennai this month end and need your help in settling down. My plan - To drive down to Chennai from Mumbai (probably with a halt at Hyderabad where I belong). My office is located at Ascendas IT park, Taramani. Initial two week accommodation will be office provided. There onwards we are on our own. I had been to Chennai for a only a few days and that too a couple of years ago so don't have an idea as to how things work there. Seeking help in the following areas:1) What are the preferred areas or locations to get a rented apartment(near Taramani). Prefer something close to work or if not a good area at a distance of close to 5 km will do. Rent is not a constraint as I will be staying with two other colleagues of mine who are from Mumbai. Seeking a 2+ bhk fully furnished apartment.2) Now, coming to my car - she is Hyderabad registered. What steps do I need to take for a hassle free stay in Chennai. How long can I stay there without paying any road tax or change in reg (which I don't plan to do). I may travel between Chennai n Hyd once in a couple of months.Any help provided would be highly appreciated.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

P.S: Mods please move the thread to appropriate forum.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Since, rent is not a constraint for you, the best place to stay would be Adyar, Indira Nagar or Thiruvanmiyur. It would be less than 5 kms. to your office Ascendas IT Park at Taramani.

For the car, as long as I know I think you can drive upto one year in TN if you have got the NOC. After an year you may need to pay tax in TN.
  3. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    If you are travelling once in a couple of months you need not to transfer the car. There are lot of other state cars that are running. If you transfer the car to chennai then you need to pay the registration amount. Just carry copy fuel bill from AP with you to show that you are commuting between Chennai and Hyderabad. Transfer only if you are sure of using the vehicle for long period in chennai and you don't want the cops to catch you. In that case you need to get NOC and few other forms that has to be produced in Thiruvanmiyur RTO, if you are staying near Taramani. You also need to get a invoice from the dealer from whom you had purchased the vehicle. Since you are commuting between Hyderabad and chennai I advise to use AP registration.

Regarding stay chennai people can help better way. Thiruvanmiyur is a place near to Taramani where you get rented houses and near to beach.I used to stay there 6 years back.
  4. lowflier

lowflier Amatore

South Florida
    Thanks much ramjn, can you please shed some light on the rents ? Whats the best approach, are there any brokers or agents ? So I will not have to pay any road tax upto one year if I get the NOC ?

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

Thanks Sungoa, that's detailed enough! Well, now I am confused if I should get a NOC or not. Your idea of fuel bills sounds good though. I hope there won't be any other problems without a NOC.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Best way to find accommodation is to refer 'The Hindu' on Saturdays.
    Alternately, there are professional agents available in Adyar where they can also help you. They may charge on higher side.

A known broker to me in Adyar.
    All India Trading Company (Mr. Chidambaram)
    TNHB Shopping complex, LB Road, Adyar,
    Chennai - 20
    (opposite to adyar depot bus stop)
    Ph: 044-24416282, 24416805
  6. lowflier

lowflier Amatore

South Florida
    Woah, that's some help there :) thank you ramjn ! I hope I can pm you with any queries I have. Also, I would need info on any good service center around Taramani for my Linea. Thanks again.
  7. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    To my knowledge The transfer needs to be done within a month in TamilNadu atleast.

Find a house in Taramani - Velachery link road that would be equally good as well.
  8. lowflier

lowflier Amatore

South Florida
    Thanks Teky, no plans of transfer of reg for now. I am thinking of keeping the fuel bills and toll receipts and also will request for NOC if needed but no transfer of reg. Super like your signature but with a small addition Downshift ->Press->Fly low :cool:
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Simply getting NOC has problem. Since once you take NOC it will be marked in your RC. So you need to transfer the vehicle within 6 months. If not taken the NOC then this problem will not arise. Once you settled in Chennai you can think of getting the vehicle transferred if the situation demands that. I had taken NOC from chennai and couldn't register the vehicle in goa due to some personal reasons and now trying to get the things done now. Other problem is once the NOC get expired getting insurance claim may become difficult. So for some time manage with Fuel bills and then take a wise decision.

You can also search for rented houses in local news paper(Adayar times is one if I remember correctly)
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. lowflier

lowflier Amatore

South Florida
    I liked this forum before but now I am just hooked onto it. Loving it !! Sungoa, thank you for the wise advice - much appreciated. I never knew taking NOC and not transferring the vehicle has so many after effects. You saved me !

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

Yup now I know where exactly to look for !