1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Movies Thread

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Bala, Sep 16, 2010.

1. cliffhanger

cliffhanger Amatore

Idream cinemas is in Royapuram, near Chennai port.

A decent theater with people from all sects of the society visiting it.

Something like Woodlands, Devi, etc.
    Bala likes this.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Went to see Papanasam today and I totally enjoyed the movie. I feel myself fortunate that I haven't seen the Malayalam version. I just restrained myself after I came to know that Kamal was doing the Remake of Drishyam. Finally, it has become very much worth the wait.

Asha Sarath has done wonderful job after Kamal. She has clearly understood her role and did well both as IG and as mother. And Kalabavan Mani's role also makes a punch.

Tirunelveli backdrop has worked very well with the movie. Kamal has really mastered the slang. Very sweet to hear the local slang throughout the movie.

Now, the wait starts for Thoongavanam. I am hearing that Asha Sarath is taking the role of Kamal's wife in this movie.
    Murphy_Fiat, testdrive and Rajen like this.
  3. cliffhanger

cliffhanger Amatore

I would suggest watch it again after a week, you will enjoy it even better. I always believe a good movie, especially thrillers, should be watched twice. On the first watch, we generally concentrate on what's going to happen next, next, next, thereby losing the overall essence of the film. A second watch will give us full understanding of what the director conceived and conveyed.

I never like to compare creative works, so I intentionally didn't compare the Malayalam version in my review. But what it did was, it gave me a kind of heads-up on what to expect from the Tamil version, and having gotten the context already, I just had to go and immerse in the experience, which I did and it turned around to be a very good one.
  4. cliffhanger

cliffhanger Amatore

Movie: Baahubali
    Watched at: Idream Cinemas

I think it's the sheer Macho-ism never seen in any Indian film before, that garnered the huge mania that Baahubali has able to generate. What with three 6 foot+ tall men with incredible built and persona forming the core of Baahubali, I think no other Indian film has brought in such intense macho-ism in Indian cinema ever, I think this is the reason Baahubali has able to create a never been seen sensation everywhere.

I never thought that there will be a worthy contender to Tamil film industry, what with guys like Shankar, Kamal, Mani Ratnam, etc, who have broken record after records consistently. Don't mistake me, their positions are not threatened and they are still a class apart, and given a situation that everything goes in their favor, they can compete with the best in the business across the world. But what SS Rajamouli has brought in is - an incredible positivity in execution, every scene is detailed with so much positivity, the colours, the artists, the language they speak, everything was of highest quality.

Baahubali is execution taking over the thought conceived. The thought, that is the story isn't something out of the ordinary, but the way it is executed is something clean, rich, visually extravagant and something never been seen before. In the era of lightspeed screenplay, where everything has to be fast paced, in Baahubali every scene gets unveiled like someone orating a beautifully written poem. Also, what impressed me the most is, when every other director is dying so hard to match the west, here is one director that has brought in everything related to our great country on his film in a most extravagant way, and he had the confidence to use 250 crores to do that. He is just not a great director, but a great Indian too.

Ratings - 5 Stars (5 stars each to the director, the actor trios along with Ramya Krishnan, and also for the Music director for his BGM that was outstanding and over)
    abhinav_nani, bharath and Ganges like this.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Eagerly waiting for the conclusion.Saw it in Telugu, wanna see once again in Hindi.Rajamouli was always with creativity thoughts, words are less to describe his talent, we seen his movies eega , Magadheera box office blockbusters in AP and Telangana. There were few action scenes which should have been shooted in daylight rather showing fight in night, still the roar was there in theatre after killing bhallala bro. :)
    More to see, Devasena and Mahispathi in next series .
    abhinav_nani likes this.
  6. Bala

Bala Esperto

My only grouse is that for all the hardwork and expense,Rajamouli could have taken the subject of real history like ponniyin selvan or some other telugu history.
    bharath, vigneshrace and ramjn like this.
  7. cliffhanger

cliffhanger Amatore

While I understand your POV, if you look at the bigger picture where guys like Aamir Khan, who along with his team behind, run a hidden propaganda in films like PK, taking advantage of the naivety of our fellow countrymen, to malign and ridicule our culture, identity, etc, to promote and achieve their various purposes, I think Baahubali and its success has come at the right time to notify all such elements that we are still and always will be reinforced to our culture, and that implies, if anyone tries to threaten our identity, we will not take it lightly; the film picks up many major elements of our culture rather than elements of specific regions, that was a masterstroke and I think that was one of the reasons for the film's success. People across the country were able to relate to the film and made it a success. The following is a forward I received in Whatsapp, you will understand it better if you are aware of the bigger political under current that runs across the world, not the one that media projects.

12 reasons why every Indian should watch Baahubali!
    1. If you think women characters can be fighters... and not only eye candy.
    2. If you believe women were respected and were the centre of power in Ancient India.
    3. If you love period movies and want to see our very own Troy or 300.
    4. Because the first song is none other than Shiv taandav srotam, and it's awesome...
    5. For the war strategy, Trishul Vyuh, Chakravyuhs, and war cry in Sanskrit...
    6. If you love animals and believe that sacrifice of animals should not be done...
    7. If you love seeing saffron flags unfurling...
    8. If you like Hindu Prateek (symbols) all around, and you feel proud of them...
    9. If you think any Indian movie can earn 50 crs in a day, without a dose of fake secularism and disrespecting Hindu Gods.
    10. For amazing ancient Indian Architecture... monumental Viharas & Rathas, in front of which all Mughal structures will look ordinary....
    11. For the Grand Interiors, and believe me, those are jaw dropping...
    12. For the best cinematography ever done in Indian Cinema...!

There are very few clich├ęs and elements of Bollywood-ism, a bit, but the Magnum Opus on silver screen will blow you away in no time!
    Go... watch with your entire family, and specially kids. Show them that we were not losers as portrayed in NCERT books, and that we had great warriors, strategy & structures. India's daughters were not what BBC wanted to stereotype, but were the power centers.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  8. cliffhanger

cliffhanger Amatore

Movie: Thani Oruvan
    Watched at: Sathyam Cinemas, Tuesday 10.40pm

Ok, I wasn't of high hopes for this film as I was aware of the director's IQ levels from his previous films. He didn't disappoint, every scene is written to give a thrill and in the process the director thinks the audience are senseless to get a thrill even if everything is mindless and sans logic.

A mindless screenplay and nil logic propelled twists to make us say wow is all Thani Oruvan about. And, I don't know how Jayam Ravi continues to act with that kind of voice, it really corrupts the feel of the entire film. Either he should have a voice over or be a lower rung actor for his life.

Music by Hiphop Thamizha had no effect in theaters, but when I listen to the songs in my home theater, they sound very youthful and energetic, probably what the youth want today. Though the tunes are ordinary, the way it is sung, presented and all, bring out a lot of energetic impact.

Have to say Arvind Swamy is the Thani Oruvan of this film, while most things are absurd in the film he stands out extra-ordinarily with his acting, a very suave performance deeply bringing out very minor nuances conveying multiple layers of possible thought outlooks to the audience, easily one of the brilliant performances I have seen recently. Never knew that Arvind Swamy is of such high standards, and having watched Black Mass(starring Johnny Depp) which is supposedly on a similar genre as Thani Oruvan, I can confidently say, no one in that film can hold a candle to the performance given by Arvind Swamy in Thani Oruvan.

Rating: 1/5, 1 for Arvind Swamy.

Movie: Black Mass
    Watched at: Sathyam Cinemas, Thursday 10.25pm

One of the worst movies I have ever seen. I don't know what the director saw in the biography to make it as a film. The film just had nothing in it, except that every three out of four words spoken is "Fuck". Most characters are 40+ in age and the most words they speak are all "Fuck". Reflects very well the character of people in the developed country of America.

Rating: Zero will take it as an insult if I rate this film 0
    bharath and abhinav_nani like this.
  9. Bala

Bala Esperto

Bajirao mastani.
    There isnt a director in Indian cinema who is more artistic than Bansali,but art most of the times is made to make up for the lack of depth in the story and script.Grand,opulent,classy and every other positive adjective would be insuffucient to describe the making of the film but all of them fall flat when one realizes that it is after all to glorify an illicit affair between a man(that too a p.m)and his cocumbine.How many more times will Bansali flog the story of another woman.Though Ranbeer and Deepika have done a splendid job,they fail to carry the film on their shoulder like Hrithik and Aishwarya did with JodhaAkbar.Music,choreagraphy,art direction,costumes,cinematography are all classy and award worthy.Climax is not very convinsing and it is hard to accept and digest the ambience of the whole movie where just a p.m of small king is displayed like louis14.
    If you can digest an illicit affair,the movie is highly recommended if you havent yet watched.
    4 out of 5 stars.

asimpleson likes this.
  10. Bala

Bala Esperto

Watched the tamil movie METRO
    I liked it very much.
    Hardly a couple of known faces,the entire crew is new and yet they have come out with a crisp crime thriller.
    A few scenes are crude and very raw like the one showing how to inject drugs and what dose will give you what effects,don't know these passed through sensors!
    Climax of killing by hugging is new to cinema,directors touch,showed both affection and punishment.
    Good bussiness sence in making this movie,wouldn't have cost more than 50 lakhs which they could recover from tv rights alone,very neat for the cost though.
    Highly recommended,though not for family viewing.
    3.5 out of 5 stars.
    bharath likes this.