1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Movies Thread

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Bala, Sep 16, 2010.

1. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Watched the 2012 hindi movie 'Chakravyuh' yesterday. Found it to be quite nice. As most of the prakash jha movies, this one was also about a social issue - that of naxals.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Was it hard-hitting enough, cause I watched "Madras Cafe" the other day and found it a bit vague, although it felt very in-genuine like as it focused more on one person and his deeds, effects rather than giving more justice to international angles of the factual incidences. When they make movies on sensitive or contentious issues, they need to be very careful and clear about interpretations on the subject; about how people will perceive these things. Although the plot was fairly complex and would make more sense to people who have read fact-finding stories on this subject.

Interestingly and unfortunately though, one underlying message from West is clear to Indian establishment and Indian leaders that they can have a foreign policy (on paper) but not act in any decisive way, in ways of direct or indirect intervention or action. There will be repercussions.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Well i wouldn't say hard hitting but it was quite informative although in a dramatised way. It brought out the other side of the story, that of naxals, which otherwise remains untold more often than not.
    asimpleson likes this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes thats exactly what I meant. I hope it was pretty realistic and unbiased. Often times there is a softening of harder facets of the truth behind these stories.
  5. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Erode
    ERODE
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hi asimpleson! here are some more suggestions. In fact its an English and Tamil movie both are very hilarious and I am sure you will love it.
    If you have not seen " My Cousin Vinny" don't miss it.
    You will break your bones laughing!
    The final scenes involves some automobile wizardry so you will love it
    The second one is a Tamil movie, watched yesterday for n th time in satellite channel.
    Its, " Abiyum Nanum".(Abi and Me.- Abi is name of the daughter)
    You don't need to know even a single word in Tamil to follow it, most of the second half generous amount of Hindi dilagoues are there.
    Though on the surface it speaks about the father daughter bonding, the second part subtly shows how culturally we Indians are different and even though on surface it looks that North Indian Culture is more liberal,deep inside the director conveys as family how they are more knitted and how they enjoy life.
    Do watch you will love it.
    Added bonus entire film is shot in Ooty, so great visuals.
    asimpleson likes this.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Mabams1826 yes My Cousin Vinny is an all time favorite. It is difficult to forget the scenes between Joe Pesci and Judge, most hilarious. This one has been adapted into Indian movies too. Thanks for reminding, will watch soon again. For Abiyum Nanum I will search or buy DVD later, as I prefer English subtext at times. Thanks again.
    Mabams1826 likes this.
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Saw Gone Girl. Man this movie spooks me. Cant imagine a wife can go to lenghts of scheming to get even with the husband. Luckily watched it alone, otherwise wife could have got some ideas from the movie. I would rate it 4.5/5 sheerly for Rosamund Pike for the scheming wife.
    asimpleson and Mabams1826 like this.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    :eek: Girish I hope there is more to this movie, you didn't give away the plot suspense did you ? ..
    SPOILER ALERT!
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  9. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Not at all, the suspense is still there. One has to see the movie to find out how rather than who. As we car enthusiasts say, its the journey that matters not the destination.
    asimpleson likes this.
  10. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Watched the Tamil movie KAAVIYA THALAIVAN
    The director could have released the movie with a statutory warning :not for the regular joe :(,uninformed,if a regular joe had been to the theater,he would have ran helter shelter in 20 minutes:(
    The first half is painstakingly slow,testing one's patience.The second half picks up speed and is fairly engaging,I did like.Are both the halves of the movie made by the same director?!
    Art direction is excellent,taking you to the preindependence era,might pick up an award.
    A rare film,where the antogonist has a bigger role and outperforms the protogonist.
    A film that is released 5 decades late:(,would have been a hit if it had been released in 1944!
    Recommended,for your Dad :)
    2.5 out of 5 stars.
    Rajen and jumu like this.