1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Movies Thread

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Bala, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Erode
    ERODE
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Yeah, saw it at Sathyam when I was in Chennai last month, agree with your comments.
  2. cliffhanger

cliffhanger Amatore

madras
    Watched "I" again today, with my family this time. While I was totally disappointed on the first occasion, I was bowled over today.

I don't know if it is the too much expectation or the normal storyline or the dumb Inox theater experience that spoiled the experience on first occasion.

But today, like Rahman's music, it just grew on me and gave an altogether different experience.

The movie is a visual spectacle on screen, efforts of thousands of finest of finest technicians having worked for 3 years, packed for 3 hours.

I realized, it indeed takes more than one watch to grasp the enormity of work that had gone in.

Take a bow Shankar sir, you are a master story teller as always. Don't know if we would see another director who can bring in such depth of grandeur with substance in film making. Your works need more than just a pair of eyes.

While a lot of us talk about watching movies like Interstellar twice or thrice to understand what is being told as story.

Films like "I" needs to be watched multiple times to understand and learn the art of cinematography, stunt choreography, costume Designing, etc, etc.

And, how can I miss talking about Vikram. Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of his, for I believe acting is more than just donning different getups and altering weight in extremes.

But in this film, he is just impeccable as an actor, both in performance and in getting under the skin of the role. Shirts off to Vikram, literally!!

I think Rahman is like some God's music agent to people, he just comes in and gives God's music and goes home. Ennodu Nee Irunthaal, both the visual and the song is Rahman and Shankar going creatively wild. A spectacle, a spectacle of the highest order!!

And, P.C. Sreeram sir's work will go into the encyclopedia of Cinematography. Nothing more to say!

Watch "I" in theaters, in good theaters. Watching "I" in a normal theater will be like watching a Mercedes Roadster all covered with dirt and cobweb.

Mersalaytan ba!!!
    ramjn, vigneshrace and testdrive like this.
  3. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Just watched LUNCH BOX in youtube.
    Beautiful movie, a very lyrical ending, where the director leaves it to the imagination of the viewer.I watched the climax thrice to arrive at my own climax!,the heroine sells of her jewelry and leaves for Bhutan, the hero comes back from Nasik, traces her with the help of dabbwhalas and reaches her home, sadly after she had left :(.,was my interpration right or did they meet and live happily ever after in Bhutan!?
    I have a difference of opinion on the climax. If the wife leaves a husband who is cheating on her, wouldn't it make more easy and convenient for him?,shouldn't she catch both of them by their neck and teach them a lesson?,yup, that would again need Lunch box 3 and 4 to be made!.
    A very neat direction and editing. I was just wondering what if this movie was made in tamil.There would have been a duet in Switzerland between the heroine and her husband, a duet between the hero and his wife in Ooty, another duet between the hero and heroine in Mumbai, a kuthu song with the dabbawalahs etc.
    A must watch movie, I would have preferred a happy ending though.
    Hero, Irfan khan is much better than the 3 big khans and the other 2 silly small khans.
    3.5 out of 5 stars, recommended.

asimpleson, jumu and Mabams1826 like this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Bala speaking of Irfan Khan and/or Nawazuddin Siddiqui did you watch "Bypass" the short film. Check here if you haven't yet.
  5. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Erode
    ERODE
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hi asimpleson! Did you watch, " Flash of Genius"?
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes bro, thanks for the recommendation. Do keep recommending further. Out of curiosity checked online about this person on whom the biopic was based. Felt glad to know (in some way) that in reality this man was much more stubborn (or difficult) than depicted. :)
    I am not sure (if I missed it), but there is no mention of Chrysler settlement which happened at a later date.
    Mabams1826 likes this.
  7. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Simpleson,watched the short movie Bypass on your suggestion.
    Was very well directed and edited for a short movie.That it was a silent movie adds to the class but the silence looks very imposed rather than being spontaneous like it was in Kamal's Pushpak.
    Quite a dark movie,will make one think there are no good people in the world.RGV style of movie.
    Are these movies made to participate in a competition.
    Thanks for the link.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 30, 2015, Original Post Date: Jan 30, 2015 ---
    Watched the Tamil movie KATHI.
    For all the praise heaped on the movie by fellow TFI members,I did not find the movie exceptional.
    The message of the movie,espousing the cause of farmers looks very hollow and not very honest,the hero Vijay himself being a brand ambassador of a soft drin.
    Usually,in Tamil movies only the heroine would act like being retarded,here the hero himself acts like one inspite of being very clever enough to escape a prison.Vijay's acting is very artificial,more so after watching the spontaneous performance of Irfhan khan.I have never been a fan of Vijay.
    Usually,songs of Vijay movies would be good,even that's not the case in this movie,songs are very amatuerish,why Anirudh?
    One film which could have been made with out a heroine,why waste 50 lakh rupees and why does samantha always put up an expression as if she had had drugs?
    An example of an unreasonable hit in Tamil.
    2.5 out of 5 stars.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Dark it is yes, an absolute dearth of light in those characters, with no concept of morals, morality, right or wrong. RGV characters portray weakness/darkness yes, but this here depicted is simply animal or beastly in nature. There is nothing there, no objective, but to live one day after another aimlessly feeding on anything, everything, a bit short of cannibals. Such psychotic behavior is rare yet anywhere/everywhere in world; also the most civilized nations. Its anti-human, inhuman yet basal human in a way. I am short of words.. :)
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 30, 2015 ---
    I am not sure if this was made for a competition, but it sure deserves some kind of recognition, don't know which.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  9. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    The director could have atleast avoided that scene of chopping off the wrist to steal a watch.
    Irfhan khan looks very young,though it was only 12 years back.
    In Tamil a handful of directors have made it big in bigscreen after getting into the spotlight via short films.
    How did you come across this short film?
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Bala, as gory (in essence) it may have felt, but the scene was essential I feel. You must be even more disturbed watching Hannibal Lectar movies; did you?

The problem is good cinema like "Lunchbox" or "Stanley ka dabba" do not get greater commercial success. It also goes on to show/prove that good movies still can be produced without exotic locations or lower/lesser budgets. Sensible scirpts, directors and actors are paid lesser..sad thing that!

I think it must be I stumbled upon it watching videos of "Nawazuddin Siddique"