1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Movies Thread

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Bala, Sep 16, 2010.

1. cliffhanger

cliffhanger Amatore

madras
    Pisasu - 1/5

Watched it yesterday night. While there is a story to it, I really didn't like the idea of cheap thrills, like the ghost flying, its face being flashed suddenly. I think filmmakers like Myskkin think that having psychotic and eccentric elements in the film makes it intense. Have added him to the list of directors whose films have to be avoided, and the list already has Bala and Selvaraghavan in it. These psychotic directors bring their psychotic experiences into their films and get awards for that. It's a huge topic I understand and I'm not against making dark films, but there is a very thin line between making the film acceptable and making the film detrimental.

Lingaa - 3/5

Except for the climax, I liked Lingaa. Wondering how Rahman composed the Oh Nanba song, never heard such shitty song from him before.

Waiting for I
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Well, this is not about movie but movie theater. :)

I am shocked today to read the news that PVR is buying Sathyam Cinemas in Chennai. I am a big fan of Sathyam Cinemas and yet to find a similar multiplex anywhere in my movie watching experience.

The news
    The Ajay Bijli led PVR group seems set to acquire Chennai's premier movie exhibition company SPI Cinemas, popularly known as Sathyam Cinemas, in what could end up to be the biggest deal in Bijli's career as well for India's multiplex sector. Multiple sources aware of the on-going discussions said save last-minute developments, the deal may close for a rather steep valuation of approximately Rs 750-1,000 crore for just 40 odd screens, located predominantly in the Southern metro.

Read more at:
    http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @ramjn, as a rule I watch movies only in PVR theaters. I find them better than most others in the Metro. I am not aware of Sathyam, but they will be improvised well on technical audio-visual systems if they lack anywhere.

Are there enough Dolby Atmos theaters there, in case you follow these things ?
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    PVR does operate in Chennai too. But nothing close to Sathyam. So close to heart. :)

From the deal amount, you can see how much premium they are going to pay for Sathyam. I am sure many of Chennai'ites agree with me on this.
    vigneshrace and testdrive like this.
  5. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    I too had liked Sathtam cinemas,but Devi paradise was to my taste.Sathyam cinemas had become more of a commercial venture than a cinema going experience in the past decade.
  6. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Guys, anybody watched 'The Imitation Game' movie?

Do watch it before it goes down. Its a must watch, especially comp science / IT engineers, after watching this movie we'll relate what is the base of 'Automata theory' subject :)
  7. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Erode
    ERODE
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Talking about great movies and ours being an auto platform I happened to watch this emotional movie, " Flash of Genius" which is the true story of Bob Kerans the real inventor of intermittent wiper.
    The movie is about how he fights against Ford which steals his design and blatantly refuses to pay.
    A must watch for all auto enthusiasts.
    asimpleson likes this.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks man will watch. Sounds very interesting theme. Do suggest more such movies.
  9. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Erode
    ERODE
    Fiat Enthusiast
    The Core is yet another sci fi Movie which is quite watchable.
    Transcendence is another fantastic sci fi movie which was a total flop, hope you would have seen it.
    Will post few more soon
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Speaking of sci-fi Luc Besson's LUCY is worth watch. Purely for a change without too much expectations. Can be entertaining for the most part with its own limitations.