1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Movies Thread

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Bala, Sep 16, 2010.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I watched the movie over the weekend after reading your review. Yes, you are right. This is real serious effort put by Soundarya. It has strong strory line and the screen play is also well scripted. This is indeed the best movie of Rajinikanth I have seen in the last 18 years.
  2. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Thank you Abdul for your kind words.
    Yes, Ramesh even I agree with you,the last good movie of Rajinikanth I remember seeing was Thalapadhy 2 decades back.
    For all the efforts Soundarya had put in,she could have made this in flesh. Yes, it is difficult to make period movies but aren't they making Rani Rudrama devi in Telugu.
    Again,I missed watching this movie in theatre,Rahman's music is certainly missed.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 28, 2014 ---
    Watched the Tamil movie ARIMA NAMBI
    A gripping crime thriller,probably made to a wrong audience. It would have been well received in Hollywood,100 movies of the same genre and story already been made there not with standing.
    After an intial 20 minutes of boredom the movie shifts to a top gear and moves at a fantastic speed that you become tired and feel like having watched a full movie even by the time of interval. The director could have easily made the same movie in 2 parts or in a way you can say that you have watched 2 movies for the price. The movie is quite lengthy but keep you involved and thrilled all through.
    Technical aspects of the movie are top notch except for the songs by drums Sivamani who is at sea.
    Lekha Washington,who comes for only 5 minutes looks more ravishing than the heroine Priya anandh.
    The bad guy is Telugu's Chakravarhi I believe,who is another example of people of not ageing after Rekha, Milind soman etc.
    3 stars out of 5, recommended for lovers of crime thrillers.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  3. cliffhanger

cliffhanger Amatore

madras
    Watched Kaththi yesterday..found it to be very good..

5 stars to the director just for shaming the mighty yet shameful political family in TN..

The way Pakkam Vanthu song was shot is sheer spectacle in the theater. Chennai Airport looks way too classy.

Aathi song, again, was beautifully shot. Cinematography overall was very contemporary and too good.

Dance and the dancers were too good. Again, slick, contemporary and sauve.

Music - Sorry for using the word contemporary again, but it holds good in this department as well, except for the Rap overload, which though is good, isnt exactly contemporary, because the Yogi B guys were pioneers of it. BGM, though good, isn't of Vellai Illa Patathari league, VIP's BGM was pulsating, Kaththi's is pulsating too but to a lesser extent.

Overall Rating - 4 stars ( -1 for Samantha and the comedian)
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    testdrive and ramjn like this.
  4. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Watched the Tamil movie VELAYILLA PATADHARI
    A nice movie,a mass hit for Dhanush after a long time carering to all centres a,b and c.
    RR and songs by Anirudh are very good,his best after 3.A child prodigy but one can not help getting the feel that we have already heard these tunes in Ilayaraja's music :(.Amma amma song is very melodious and it feels great to hear the legend S.Janaki's voice and how well Dhanush is progressing as a singer!
    Such roles are easy for Dhanush but for a national award winner,he has cetainly overacted.
    Heroine Amala paul has made good use of her big eyes,rolling them all through the movie,apart from that she has nothing much to do.It is sad that she had got married off so early:(
    The director has gone overboard about unemployment and glorifies unemployment to such an extent that you feel if being employed is abnormal!,if unemployed you would have all the time for yourself to drink,smoke and fool around with your gf the director means to say.
    When will they stop glorifying smoking and drinking in movies,it is high time government bans such scenes or gives an A certificate and removes tax concessions for movies with such scenes.
    Finally a masala movie that is watchable but again one gets the feeling that this is a Rajini formula movie that has come 2 decades late.
    4 out of 5 stars
    jumu likes this.
  5. svvickky

svvickky Amatore

bangalore
    very much agreed with the smoking/drinking part. This is what i loved in kathi movie, which didn't have even a single shot of that manner
  6. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Watched Burried alive in youtube.
    Wanted to watch burried but only this was available.
    A fairly gripping thriller given the fact there was by and large only one actor and one location (coffin).
    I was able to rightly guess the bad guy even within 10 minutes of the movie begining and that is the weakness of the director but with all due credit to him he has kept the movie fairly engaging.
    3 out of 5 stars,2 stars deducted for the anticlimax.
    Are there any other good movies in youtube?
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Bala, if you do like classics have you seen Bernard Shaws Pygmalion, also available on youtube. Although a much better and amongst my all time favorites is the movie My Fair Lady (1964) starring Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison. Best to watch the latter musical on a DVD if possible.
  8. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Thanks simpleson,
    I haven't watched the movies mentioned above,shall watch them.
    Are there video websites like youtube to watch movie video as they get streamed rather than download.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Bala I am afraid streaming services like Netflix with broad range of international movies is yet to launch. Looking for alternatives is the only way. Reliance BIGFLIX was nice, but with certain limitations of movie choices. They rely on their partners and popularity of titles to stock in their stores.
  10. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Watched the movie 'Interstellar' last week in iMax. This is by far the best science fiction movie I have seen. This movie forced me to revisit my earlier science lessons. Still many terms (Worm hole, Time dilation) used in this movie are new to me and it was like learning Physics from the visuals. Apart from Science, they have also scripted a beautiful story between a Father and his Daughter. This is a must watch if you are Science (Physics) fan.

My rating - 10/10.

Netflix doesn't have good collection of movies for streaming. They are good for renting DVD's only. Alternately, Apple/Amazon and few others provide services to buy or rent movies for online streaming.