1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Movies Thread

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Bala, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    If at 48 years, Salman is able to give a kick,that itself is surprising :)
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Also recommended Mary and Max. I liked it very much, critically acclaimed, a black comedy-drama.
  3. cliffhanger

cliffhanger Amatore

madras
    Watched Drishyam(malayalam) yesterday. Though engaging, I found it to be a very ordinary film.

Read it is the highest grossing film in malayalam film industry, but after watching it I was left wondering what's the fuzz all about. I think this is the most hyped ordinary film in recent times. The making style is very archaic and at lot of moments it had documentary feel to it.

And can someone tell Kamal Haasan not to remake this film in Tamil, the film will lacks depth in content, has archaic film making process , and I'm guessing in all probability will bomb in Tamil.

Rating: 1.75/5
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  4. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Remaking a classic is always difficult and is difficult to do justice to the original.
    A good example is chupke se song from the movie Saathiya.Compare it with the original SNEHIDHANE from the Tamil movie ALAIPAYUDHE, you will feel like giving the Hindi director a wack.Same goes for Saathiya title song in comparison to PACHAI NIRAME from ALAIPAYUDHE.
    Anyways Directors Manirathnam and Shankar are masters of song picturization, no one can beat them.
    I would have watched Shankar's asku lasku and Ileyana songs from the movie Nanban at least a 100 times, imho picturization is better and is more grand than the original 3 idiots.
    1 person likes this.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Completely agree even though I don't like Shankar's movies. :)
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    You dont go to see a Salman Khan movie for originality.

Saw Kick yesterday. The first 20 mins was BS, thought of leaving the hall but the film grips from there coz that when the action scenes start. The finish was the most boring. Salman's acting was Ok, but Jacqueline in one dance was Oh la la:wow. For me the best acting in the film was by Nawazzuding siddique, what a menancing act with some enjoyable crassy dialogues. Overall I would say I contributed to the 100 cr income for the film.:sadblue
  7. shankspatel

shankspatel Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Got hold of a leaked copy of Expendables 3 earlier this week(3 weeks before the release of the movie itself) , saw it two days back on my Comp. the movie is a treat for action fans,story is nothing special(you cannot expect story in a action genre movie). The movie is really meant to be watched on a Big screen.

hope the effort and money spent in making such a wonderful movie doesn't go in vein due to the leaked copy.
  8. hello2anand

hello2anand Amatore

Bangalore
    Not sure if I can post this in this thread. Mod's, please delete if such posts are not allowed.

have booked two tickets for this Tamil movie 'Jigarthanda' for a 10 PM show at PVR, Forum Mall, Koramangala, Bangalore on 2nd Aug. Due to other unplanned reasons I (& my wife) will not be able make for this movie. And since cancelation is not possible, I'll have to forfeit unless some one is willing to watch the movie with my tickets.

so, if you are interested please PM me. I can provide the tickets. Ticket price - Rs. 650

thanks
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  9. hello2anand

hello2anand Amatore

Bangalore
    Somehow the plan got changed at the last minute and was able to make for the movie...

Another extraordinary & an unconventional movie from Tamil industry. Definitely a must watch in theatres. Purely enjoyed it.
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Coming to the topic of remakes, many famous producers, directors and actors have adopted this success formula from many decades.

In 1940s, SS Vasan's Gemini Studios produced Chandralekha in Tamil, and later, in Hindi, which were superhits.

Similarly, during the same period, AV Meiyappan's AVM Studios produced Vazhkai in Tamil and Jeevitham in Telugu and later, Bahar in Hindi. Needless to say all were success stories.

In 1960s, D Rama Naidu produced Ramudu Bheemudu[Teleugu, starring NT Rama Rao], which was later remade into Tamil [Enga Veettu Pillai starring MGR] and Hindi [Ram Aur Shyam starring Dilip Kumar] by B Nagi Reddy and Chakrapani. While the original Telugu and Tamil versions were superhits, the Hindi version flopped at the box office notwithstanding Dilip Kumar starring!

Director CV Sridhar did Nenjil Or Aalayam in Tamil in 1962 and directed its Hindi version the next year titled Dil Ek Mandir. He also directed the Tamil superhit Kadhalikka Neramillai and its Hindi version Pyar Kiya Jaa. The same movie was later remade into Telugu [Preminchi Choodu] and Kannada [Preethi Madu Thamashe Nodu]. I think the Hindi and Kannada versions flopped. He also directed Sivandha Mann [Tamil starring Sivaji Ganesan] and Dharti [Hindi starring Rajendra Kumar with Sivaji Ganesan playing a guest role, which was done by Mutthu Raman in the Tamil original]. While, Sivandha Mann was a success, Dharti was not.

A Nageswara Rao-starrer Prem Nagar [Telugu] was remade as Vasantha Maaligai [Tamil starring Sivaji Ganesan] and Prem Nagar [Hindi starring Rajesh Khanna]. The original and the remakes, produced by D Rama Naidu and directed by KS Prakash Rao, were all superhits.

While the Rajesh Khanna-starred Hindi original Aaradhana was an all-time superhit, its Tamil version Sivaji Ganesan-starred Sivakamiyin Selvan bombed at the box office. Similar was the case with Rajesh Khanna-starred hit Dushman [Hindi] and Sivaji Ganesan-starred flopshow Needhi [Tamil].

Ace Director K Balachander did Maro Charithra in Telugu and its Hindi version Ek Dhuuje Ke Liye. Both were super duper hits starring Kamal Haasan in both the original and Hindi remake.

The same time-tested success formula is followed by Mani Ratnam, Shankar, Kamal Haasan and Rajanikanth nowadays.

Rajanikanth-starrer Chandramukhi in Tamil, and later dubbed into Telugu, Vishnuvardhan-starrer Aapthamithra [Kannada] and Akshay Kumar-starrer Bhool Bhulaiyaa [Hindi] were all adopted from the Malayalam original Manichitrathazhu. While the original and Kannada/Tamil/Telugu versions were superhits, the Hindi version was not.

So, the question is, do all the remakes become superhits? The answer is no. Then, do all the remakes flop at the box-office? Again, no. In fact, nobody knows the answer yet for this million-dollar question! :)
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014