1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Movies Thread

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Bala, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    I agree and disagree to a certain extent.
    There was this Telugu classic, Shankarabaranam which ran in all theatres all over Tamilnadu for 100 days,3 decades back in Telugu and was not dubbed in Tamil.Nobody understood a word but they connected to the movie through it's content and same logic will apply to all languages.
    I also immensely liked an old kannada movie where Suhasini played mother to a war hero.So, it's not the language that matters but it's content imho.
    About Hindhi being the national language,it's a huge debate and I personally pleaded with my father when I was in school to let me learn after school since its a musical language like Telugu but he vehemently denied me permission. (Am a trained carnatic musician)
    Yes, French was my second language and as you said it helped me to get a good total, a district first in school outgoing public exams.
    1 person likes this.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I remember the Hindi movies like DDLJ and HAHK did very good business in TN even in Tier-2 and Tier-3 cities.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Even another very good Tamil movie KANDUKONDEIN KANDUKONDEIN ran to packed houses in Mumbai and Delhi for 100 days without being dubbed with just English subtitles.
    In fact it was received better in Delhi than in TN.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    May be. Personally, I didn't like that movie. Looked too artificial to me. :)

Also, another observation is that dubbed movies are never received well in TN with only few exceptions.
  5. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    And did I forget to tell you that I watch English movies too the same way I watch Hindi movies ! :(, not understanding a word :).
    I still could not figure out who the killer was in I know what you did last summer,may be low iq too :)

Ramesh,KANDUKONDEIN KANDUKONDEIN is one of my all time favourite,a classic,a film that teaches a lot of lessons and intense performance from Tabu and Aishwarya rai, direction too was extraordinary.
    1 person likes this.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Precisely, when I mentioned Rajnikant I meant the recent Shivaji or Robot. I frankly don't know what business they did in every region or how much crowds liked those. But certainly they did well. You see my point being that marketing or launching a movie on a national level, esp. where states are more adept to minimal Hindi language understanding; it would have made more sense business wise too. Ofcourse a Tamil movie ought to be made in Tamil, but Hindi dubbed for voice or text and like wise for Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Kannada etc. The overall understandability of finer nuances or overall liking is a lot based on the plot and viewers and overall direction. Besides most movies also cannot capture 100% viewership due to complexity of certain subjects and varying level of education of masses and understanding abilites of viewers. An exception to a great extent to this was silent movies like Pushpak or Pushpak Viamana. :D

@Bala, the language debate is much more deep-rooted since the formation of this republic and it's constitution, but that's a whole different subject with varying political angles to it, isn't it? If French as per one reason of introducing it in curriculum, was important as a language of business and commerce (moreso in some western nations), maybe Gujarati should have been the first elective in my opinion. In this part of nation or city where I live the very language makes more sense due to huge no. of influential traders and businessmen being from that community. I disagree that we disagree any bit on our understanding of linguistic and cultural barriers and issues. ::D

I guess I am talking about the outreach from overall business and cultural perspective when I mentioned about Hindi; it isn't my First language too by the way :)
    Partly for an "Inclusive Growth" and "National Integration" idea or agenda to work it could help bridge gaps via popular cultural exchange of thoughts and ideas, with regional movies being dubbed well in one common language (Hindi in our case for reasons debatable or otherwise) and more importantly released nationwide more often could be a small but definitive positive step in that direction.
    2 people like this.
  7. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Yes, it does make sense to dub good Tamil movies in Hindi,not only for monetary reasons but also for a lot more people to appreciate.
    I had always wanted a lot of good Tamil movies like VAALI, AASAI, ANBE SIVAM, etc to be dubbed and released in Hindi but they never were.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Not low IQ, I would say complex direction or language barriers, sometimes we get lost in translation. Subconciously we all do it at some level while watching a movie in a language that is not our mother tongue. For that matter I had to watch Matrix triology no. of times. Also the first time in movie Inception I too had to dive too deep to find the various levels withing the levels and still I cannot put together the puzzle with confidence. I also recommend you watch the movie 1408 if you want to challenge your brain a bit more. The director has well exploited the fuzzy brain while making this one. Yet another intriguing one would be Shutter Island by Martin Scorsese. Have you seen these all.
  9. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Watched the Tamil movie ORU KANNIYUM MOONU KALAVAANIGALUM.
    You might have heard about schizophrenic people,have you heard of schizophrenic movies? !, this one is.
    Same story told thrice in the movie,that too by Lord Shiva, testing the patience of the audience.
    This is a mockery of Lord Shiva.I have observed that when ever relegious sentiment of other faiths is hurt there is a huge protest like it happened with vishwaroopam and the movie gets banned but when they mock Hindu Gods like in this movie and in Naveena saraswathi sabatham no one cares.
    But Lord Shiva has punished the hero and producer of this movie,this movie might not have even seen the second day
    -1 out of 5 stars.
    minus point is for needlessly dragging Lord Shiva into this movie as if he has no other job but to tell a movie story in 3 ways to Tamil audience.

- - - Merged Post - - -

No, I have not seen shutter island and 1408, shall search for dvds
    nice suggestions,thanks, more suggestions welcome in English movies.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes, but Bholenath as they call them in Hindi is a forgiving lord. No one wants to experience the tandava of his mythical third eye. :D
    Maybe most people like you and their wrath is enough from keeping this director from future mischief. :p

Oh a huge no. of them is there. I will as they occur to me. :D
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014