1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Movies Thread

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Bala, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Yes, I will vote,maybe even cast a bogus vote !, but the candidate here seems to be genuine and not bogus.
    Only con being,being new to governance he wants to do too many things (sometimes unneeded) in too little a time :), hands itching all the time I believe.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Happy to see that the Tamil movie THANGA MEENGAL has bagged 3 national awards including that of a coveted one, the best regional movie,sshould be soothing to the producer Gautham menon because the movie was a disaster at the box office. I had predicted that this movie will win national award a few pages back.
    I expected national awards for the director's debut movie KATRADHU THAMIZH too, but didn't happen,there should have been an IT professional in the jury at that time :)
    1 person likes this.
  3. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Watched the Tamil movie THEGIDI
    This is the smartest movie I have ever seen.Everything in the movie, the hero, heroine,cinematographer,music director,director,costume designer and all and every one has done a smart job.You will have to watch the movie to understand what I mean.
    From the business point too it makes sense.This was made with a budget of 1.5 crores and it made 4 times that money. Imagine buying a flat for 1.5 crores as an investment and have to wait for 3 or 4 years for that to double as investment.So you can make a decent movie for a small money and get your profits in 6 months.
    The hero Ashok selvan is the first hero for whom I have become a fan because he shows no heroism and he carries himself very elegantly.All the shirts he wore were very stylish.
    A very well made crime thriller, a rare specimen in Tamil.
    Higly recommended,would send the cash register ringing if made in Hollywood with someone like Matt Damon in the lead.
    4.5 out 5 stars.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Watched the Tamil movie DAMAAL DUMEEL
    Belongs to the same genre as Thegidi.Though not made as well as Thegidi, was not bad.
    One has to fore go logic though and can get involved.
    Music by Thaman was not bad.
    2.5 out of 5 stars.
    4 people like this.
  4. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    Even I loved the movie Thegidi :)
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Bala,
    I just wish they have better dubbing in Hindi atleast for movies in Tamil, Telugu or Malyalam etc.
    I think with the right marketing that is there for Rajnikant movies, good movies like you mentioned could do ten times the business if it does well over India. All we get to see on TV are those action kinds which I have never liked sparing one or two like Ramu Varma's Shiva from 1990 for example.

Also barring Rajnikant if any other star portrays superhuman stunts it looks like a cheap imitation.. :lol:
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    We have one :lol hiding behind the cycle and shooting....

Gunda_09.jpg
    2 people like this.
  7. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Simpleson,you can watch the movies I had mentioned in Tamil itself,not much of dialogues.Dubbing might not be necessary.Yes all the dubbed movies shown on TV are the flopped ones and hence they dub it to recover some money through TV rights.
    You can watch in Tamil in cds,after all Iam watching Hindi movies with out understanding a single word, I watched Devdas twice in theatre, but that was for the songs, chandeliers, jewellery and costumes and of course a beautiful Aishwarya rai.
    2 people like this.
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    And I think if you buy/hire the original DVDs that will complement with English/Hindi subtitles. :)
  9. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Watched the Tamil movie KUCKOO
    What should have been an all time classic was not to be,mainly because of the inexperience of the debut director who has included needless subplots involving a drama troup and let go the intensity of the main story.
    The acting by the lead pair was very good,especially the debut heroine.
    In spite of the director squandering an extra ordinary plot of love between two blind people the movie is still good and I liked it.
    Well,how many more movies will end in a climax in a railway station or an airport?, the director has attempted a Moondram pirai like climax.
    watchable for once.
    2.5 out of 5 stars.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It's interesting you should say that. I agree language should not be a barrier to enjoy a movie where plots are easily decodable otherwise. However, within Marathi movies atleast (living in Maharshtra) I have found the serious ones will have pretty much no sense without the dialogues. One such movie is Aaghat, based on a medico legal issue (actually criminal negligence or malpractice). This one has intermittent english dialogues to some extent, doctors being learned and all. It is on Youtube already. :D

Also Hindi is our national language so if it were upto me I would wish every citizen of India to know the language, ofcourse cannot and would not coerce one to. Simple reason being that not all of us with our regional languages could be inclined to learn popular regional languages. Also on that point I could never really see why they gave French language as an elective during my schooling days. The only remote regret for not opting and learning french is that my fellow mates who learned basic French scored hugely in tests thereby improving on their overall percentage score. :|

- - - Merged Post - - -

Ramjn, I would prefer normal cable or PVR Cinema theatres specifically.:) (Imax is also too much for me)
    I did have those Reliance rental dvd plans and saw tons of english stuff then, which is my pref. no one. I hardly ever watch Hindi now a days.
    Even American TV soaps are great for that matter, pretty much all major and popular ones. Except the DVDs are hard to come by on rental shops.

Do you guys watch those..? Which ones in case?