1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Motul 300V Competition 15W-50

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by ProBiker, Feb 25, 2011.

1. kailashnj

kailashnj Amatore

Do not put 15w 50 in your car Probiker as it will only spoil your car's engine. 300v might exceed all the standards mentioned by FIAT but understand the viscosity of the oil does not permit it to be used. It is way too thick then the one that is recommended by FIAT. Use Selina and change it every 7500 kms as that is what I do and it does help.
  2. Axn

Axn Regolare

is it for diesel engines. I could not find this info on website.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

An oil designed for petrol cars in a turbo Diesel Car!

Expect huge sludge build up in the engine. Because petrol engine oils will not carry all that soot around. They are not designed for it. Diesel engine oils are.

I hope you havent ruined that brilliant Multijet already. Flush that oil out i'd say.
    Rest is up to you.

P.S. Regular oil changes are a far better idea than the debate b/w using a semi synth or fully synth oil.
    pradeepsangwan likes this.
  4. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    Totally agree with gurjinder!! On this subject, I have already made up my mind to bring the service interval down to 10k kms from the Fiat prescribed 15k kms. My car has run 32k kms and when I was approaching the 30k service interval, I could feel the car was struggling through the last 1.5-2k kms leading upto the 30k mark. Since it was the third and last free service, I decided to wait till 30k kms for the oil change. However, the difference after the service (after oil change) was so stark that it has convinced me that I would not be waiting for 15k kms for the next oil change. And all this when I have been diligently topping up oil every 5k kms and keeping the filters clean as often as possible.
  5. yogeshnagpal

Are you still using 15w50 on the MJD engine? If yes, how has it been?

6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Putting a wrong grade oil in an engine designed to run on 40 viscosity oil is not a good idea. Our engines are fitted with hydraulic lifters which work totally on oil.
    So the oil decides the valve lift and inturn the performance of the car
    1 person likes this.
  7. moksh

moksh Regolare

Linea 1.3
    I am planning to get Motul 300V 5W40/ Xcess 5W40. Prices are same for 4 liters(300V) and 5 Liters (Xcess) . Can you tell me more about your oil (300V) change. Did you flush your engine oil..? On the other note this 300V oil is also for diesel cars mentioned in motul technical data sheet.
  8. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Motul Xcess 8100 5w40 fits the bill for MJD. Its a pretty good engine oil compared to Delvac 1.
    Have just bought them last week. Yet to use it. However, have driven my friends punto MJD with Motul Xcess which has run 90000kms.
    Its very much smooth, revv happy engine and NVH levels are controlled. The pull and eager to move ahead is very much responsive from the engine.

300V - I heard is mostly for extreme race cars/drag cars. Lot of engine oil burning.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 26, 2016 ---

MOTUL 8100 Range – 100% Synthetic
    The 8100 range has a comprehensive list of OEM approval oils to suit the modern European vehicles meeting strict Euro 4, Euro 5 and Euro 6 emissions standards.
    The range is broken up by 6 categories, 3 categories are for fuel economy, with the remaining 3 categories covering engine protection. What defines these categories relates to SAPS and HTHS.
    What is SAPS and HTHS?

SAPS stands for Sulphated Ash, Phosphorus, Sulphur. All of which are naturally occurring elements in fluids refined from crude oil such as engine oil and diesel fuel.
    There is currently a focus to remove these elements from oil and diesel fuel to reduce hazardous emissions and improve fuel economy.
    When SAPS enter the combustion cycle on diesel engines, the particles leaving the exhaust will block up DPF’s (Diesel Particulate Filters – think of it as an air filter on your exhaust) and CRT (Continuously Regenerating Technology – similar to DPF but it works continuously). The reason for these filters on your exhaust is to capture the black soot and burn it off.
    The down side is that SAPS are also antiwear additives, corrosion inhibitors and detergents. New additives are being developed every year to replace SAPS and provide an environmentally friendly lubricant and fuel.

HTHS is a standard test method for measuring viscosity of new and used engine oils at High Temperature andHigh Shear by a Tapered Bearing Simulator Viscometer at 150°C.
    Oils with low HTHS provide improved fuel economy but sacrifice engine protection.
    Low HTHS = 2.9-3.5
    Oils with a high HTHS provide engine protection over fuel economy.
    High HTHS = 3.5 and Above

To find out what the HTHS is for any of the 300V and 8100 range, go to the Technical Data Sheet (TDS) and look at the physical properties.

For ease of recognition Motul has prefixed all of the ‘Fuel Economy’ oils with ‘Eco’. The range includes:
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 26, 2016 ---

MOTUL 300V Range – 100% synthetic ESTER Core

Motul has built its reputation on the motorsports range of oil called 300V. Suitably named after exceeding 300 victories achieved with this formulation incorporating Motul’s proprietary Ester technology. Each viscosity is referenced against different engines in different racing categories. Porsche, Nismo and Mugen are but a few. The 300V range is accompanied by competition gear oils, brake fluids and cooling fluids to ensure the highest level of protection and endurance in the most extreme conditions.
    The 300V range can be used from the highest level of motorsport down to the everyday level of performance cars.
    300V can be used in either spark ignition or compression ignition vehicles which is to say:
    - Petrol (Leaded, Race Leaded, ULP, and PULP, Race Unleaded)
    - Diesel (Standard, Ultra Low Sulphur, Bio-)
    - Ethanol (E85, E100), Methanol and Alcohol
    *Warning – Drain intervals for race fuels, including Ethanol, Methanol and Alcohol fuel types are subject to fuel dilution and water absorption. Neglecting to drain at suitable intervals will cause irreparable engine damage.
    moksh likes this.
  9. moksh

moksh Regolare

Linea 1.3
    My Mind says 8100 While my heart says 300V so pretty confused.

@ProBiker your inputs on 300V

@whitepunto76 Also do let me know your personal experience after several thousands kms on 8100