1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

More GC: GC kit or Tyre upgrade ?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Tellmepleaze, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Tellmepleaze

Tellmepleaze Amatore

Members done GC kit or Tyre upgrade please advise:

I am planning long drive to Leh shortly with my MJD 2010 model.
    Happy with the car: engine, tyre, feather-lite steering, excellent breaks, great Headlights, exceptional cornering...what not?
    But wonder if I can get little more GC, say 25 to 50 mm, if possible, but without losing any of her characteristics mentioned. GC is the ONLY consideration; no looks, or style etc. What is best?:confused:
    1. Tyre upgrade. Which one and size?
    2. GC kit
    3. None. Both above modifications are marring inherent character/ comfort/handling/safety of Linea, hence stay away from modifications.

Please advise with your experiences.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    After driving for 2 years you have known the dynamics of your car,now if you go for GC Kit you need to test drive your vehicle for atleast another 3 or 4 months, keeping in mind about trip to Leh.

Dont go for GC Kit,lowered linea is smashing and hot looking of all sedans.

Your profile name is very funny...:p:p
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  3. sungoa2010

Welcome to TFI.

If you want more GC with tire upgrade then it is going to change your odo reading considerably not advisable.
    Better way to get more GC is GC kit. People who has gone for it has pointed that the vehicle still have it's characteristics preserved. Only minor changes.
    Of course slight interference on stability but not at all an issue with our usual range of spectrum(0-130kmph).
    GC upgrade will definitely help you in Leh trip. May be the first GC upgraded Fiat to reach Leh from TFI. Our Ravi sirs thread will help in Leh trip planing.

Just one clarification. Do you have two fiat vehicles? It showing Linea 1.4 and MJD 2010:)
    1 person likes this.
  4. Tellmepleaze

Tellmepleaze Amatore

Hi Ganges
    I selected Linea after thorough evaluations: from Bolero, Scorpio, Verna, City, Tavera, Innova, Vento...
    Of course I was aware of the low GC: it's pros and cons. Low GC is apt with a stylish city car of esteem, though with periodic embarrassment at bumpy roads. But she is made not for bad roads. All other advantages offsets the lone hitch. I AM HAPPY FROM DAY ONE:dancing:dancing
    Recently I traveled from Cochin to Chennai. Upto Chengappally roads are bad about 300 kms: but not a single bottom scrapping. I practiced driving of a good car. But from Chengappally till Chennai 450 kms were a breeze, speed-limit curb was limiting me from touching 165 speeds !

My present query is: If I can avail 1 inch more GC without sacrificing basic characteristics of Linea, why shouldn't I ?

My profile name? It is funny but very humble. Isn't it? I will get more responses:mischievous

---------- Post added at 04:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 AM ----------

Hi sungoa2010,
    Thanks for the advice. I am waiting for more hands-on experiences.

It is a mistake, will correct. Only one that is Linea MJD. Thanks for pointing out.:)
    1 person likes this.
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

is it possible to have a suspension upgrade instead? with variable ride heights (like the one we see in some western cars?). I think this would serve the purpose a lot.
    It might be silghtly expensive to begin with but any such trips on indian roads would mean that this suspension can easily handle them.

Also another cheaper alternative (which i'm seriously thinking of) is a sheet metal or titanium under coat (like the ones you see on rally cars).
    I think this can easily be fabricated under 15K (which is what is charged for the GC upgrade).
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Guys who have upgraded to the higher GC with the kit report no considerable effect on road handling.

So, if it's extra GC you're after, upgrade with the kit without any worries.

7. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Test Drive a 2012 Linea with upgraded GC kit and see for yourself if you feel any difference.

I have upgraded my Punto and am happy with the upgrade. I have not found any change in the road handling even at high speeds (160+). JFI I have driven for more than 3000 kms after the upgrade. Hope this helps.

Drive safe.

8. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

GC Kit is the way to go.
    I have GC Kit installed in my linea and in last 4k kms my car have not got hit from under with full load on the worst of roads where it used to get 10+ hits earlier.
  9. kvk

kvk Amatore

I have done the GC Kit upgrade and I have no regrets..Enjoying the raised stance.. :)
  10. iamsameerj

How much did the upgrade cost you? I had taken my Punto Emotion for the 4th servicing and the guy at TASS quoted around 22K as a ballpark estimate.